tappets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: tappets

I ran across some new tappets but I am not sure what they fit. Both appear to have the numbers "521" on one underside and "922" on the opposite side. On the upper side one has the numbers "34" while the other has "33". Was there a change between differed v8's over the years?

Thanks for you help.

T-Cab

There are at least four different part numbers for the early 1" lifters and at least six different part numbers for the later .904" lifters. However, none of them correspond to the numbers you give.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Comment

I think some people interpret "Tappet" to mean "Rocker Arm". There are at least 3 types of those also, Late '61 to '64 use a 3/4 Adjuster Screw for the shafts with the smaller Oil holes.
      Last edited by StudeRich; 08-14-2018, 05:07 PM.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

yes they are the rocker arm and screws..

T-cab

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
          I think some people interpret "Tappet" to mean "Rocker Arm".
          Nobody cares what I think, but I think tappets are what some people call lifters.
          Jerry Forrester
          Forrester's Chrome
          Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Forrester View Post
            Nobody cares what I think, but I think tappets are what some people call lifters.
            Yep, I've never heard of rocker arms referred to as tappets until now.

Comment

Maybe it is a Canadian term! Very common to hear about "Noisy Tappets"

T-Cab

Comment

Nobody cares what I think...
                Now Now, Jerry...I do!...sometimes
                John Clary
                Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                  There are at least 3 types of those also, Late '61 to '64 use a 3/4 Adjuster Screw for the shafts with the smaller Oil holes.
                  Nobody cares what I think,
                  FWIW, I don't think; more like vaguely recollect:

There are at least four rocker/adjuster types; early versions use a 3/8" adjuster hex and later have 7/16", none I've seen would have a 3/4" adjuster hex.

jack vines
                  PackardV8

Comment

I have always heard tappets and lifters used interchangeably, along with cam followers.

Rocker arms being called tappets? No way!
                    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Funny, I've never heard a lifter being called a tappet, it's always been the rocker. Many engines don't have lifters but they still have tappets; and you still have to adjust some of them.

Comment

sounds like freeze/expansion/core/other engine plugs.....fwiw, I've heard the tappet/lifter interchange along the way too...

Comment

Flathead fords were always called tappets. Couldn't find them right away, but tappets for ford tractors are the same. The original ones were solid, and you adjusted the valves by grinding the end of the valve. Here are the later, adjustable version. http://www.yesterdaystractors.com/A0...appet_4450.htm
                          Tom Senecal Not enough money or years to build all of the Studebakers that I think I can.

Comment

Originally posted by bensherb View Post
                            Funny, I've never heard a lifter being called a tappet, it's always been the rocker. Many engines don't have lifters but they still have tappets; and you still have to adjust some of them.
                            You never listen to Click and Clack, the Tappet Brothers, on NPR?

Comment

Anyone here own a set of tappet wrenches? (Google it)
                              Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Working...
                              X