1962 Hawk PCV valve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: 1962 Hawk PCV valve

I don't have a PCV valve on my 289 as yet but believe there should be one. My valve covers are solid and the oil filler is at the front of the engine. The valley cover has a tube sticking up that appears to hold a 3/8" or so hose that would direct to the base of the carburetor. Would a PCV valve be appropriate appropriate between carb and valley? Thanks, Chet445

Are you talking about the hole for the crankcase breather tube? Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	115.7 KB
ID:	1721161
    Attached Files
    sigpic
    1961 Flamingo Studebaker Hawk

Comment

I know about the crankcase breather tube and that is not what I have. It is merely a small tube projecting upward from the valley cover.

Comment

Chet:
        I think there is more information on the Forum about this, but I believe at least all California-delivered 1962 GT Hawks had PCV valves installed for 1962. My car was originally deliverd to CA and has a PCV valve installed. It shows up on my factory Production Order as item 33, "Positive Crankcase Vent" for $4.52! The original one has been replaced by an after-market substitute.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2775.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	129.1 KB
ID:	1721162
        Bill L.
        1962 GT Hawk

Comment

My 1961 was delivered new to California and it also had the #33 option installed. I think mine was removed back when the engine was rebuilt (before I bought it).
          sigpic

Comment

My 62 GT Hawk was also delivered to California and was listed with option 33 pcv valve. The pcv valve on mine is a Carter C-35585 with 3/8” hose attachments on each end.
            If someone has found a replacement part for this I would greatly appreciate knowing what it is.
            Mike Kelly
            Regional Manager
            Texas
            1963 Lark Cruiser
            1962 GT Hawk
            1965 Commander 2dr v8 auto

Comment

IRT the OP question: most 1962 models came without a PCV. The Feds required them on cars sold new in Calif in 1962, and nationwide in 1963. I think the state of Calif required them in 1961 (and maybe earlier) in the LA area. In later years, some states required retrofitting PCVs on earlier models, especially if they failed emissions tests -- so it's not unusual to find them installed on earlier cars.
              Skip Lackie

Comment

The confusing part to me is that even though it was an option I can't find any mention of it in the shop manual or chassis parts catalog. There are pictures of it for the six-cylinder and for the jet-thrust engines, but none for the stock 289. From Bill's picture it looks to me like the six cylinder version was modified to fit the 289? Just guessing since I don't have any documentation whatsoever.
                sigpic

Comment

Bill the photo you sent is very helpful. Unless there is a reason not to put in a valve, I'm going to put it on and duct it into the carb as shown in the picture. Chet

Comment

Chet:
                    I think it's confusing too. The bottom sketch on page 13 (see below) of the 1959-1964 Chassis Parts Manual might help. It shows what is labelled as the 1963 V-8 PCV valve set-up. The part number listing on page 22 shows the various PCV valve parts for 1961-1964 cars. The adaptor mounted in the valve lifter cover with the tube coming out of it is P/N 1551032 and is for 1961-1962 V-8s. I have that page 13 set-up but someone in the past didn't install the P/N 1557727 elbow but went directly from the PCV valve into the carburetor with a hose.

Click image for larger version

Name:	SCAN0001.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	1721164
                    Bill L.
                    1962 GT Hawk

Comment

Yes Chet, connecting a PCV between the valley cover and carb base is correct. It it exactly how Stude did it on the '64. Your oil fill cap should also have open breather holes and a filter inside it for the system to work. If you blow into the PCV it will flow in one direction, not in the other; it should flow toward the carb and be closed toward the valley. You can port it directly into the intake manifold instead of the carb if you prefer too.

On my '62 I have two PCV's. One from the valley pan (1964 pan) to the manifold (draws from upper engine) and one from the block off plate where your fill pipe is to the manifold (draws from lower engine). Also a closed oil fill cap on each valve cover with a tube on each going to breather filters in the air cleaner assembly. Works great.

Comment

Working...
                      X