Radiator woes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool/Heat: Radiator woes

Yesterday after taking out the '63 Avanti, I had it parked in the warehouse & noticed a significant amount of coolant on the garage floor. Hoping to find a loose hose connection I was surprised by being hit with actual spray and found the source. It's a leak in the radiator so I know it has to be removed and repaired. The engine was rebuilt last year and just about anything that can be rebuilt has been rebuilt. Any suggestions as to what else I should address while the radiator is out? I hate automotive surprises so if anyone cares to pass along advice while the radiator is out that may prevent future problems I'd appreciate hearing about it.
    thanks in advance

Hoses and clamps? Quality coolant and DISTILLED water. Sounds like everything is a year old or less, so not to much to go wrong in that short of a time frame.
    sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
    1950 Champion Convertible
    1950 Champion 4Dr
    1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
    1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Dick,
      Was the radiator cleaned and overhauled at the same time as the driveline? It may simply be suffering from old age and was missed in the original overhaul. I'm sure you must have replaced all the hoses and clamps at that time.
      There is another thread listing radiator information which may assist you in the decision making process.
      Good luck,
      Bill

Comment

Bill,
        Hoses, clamps, water pump, thermostat were replaced. When the radiator went in it was thoroughly flushed, boiled, cleaned, and painted. The hole is a very small leak in one of the fins but I can't see any damage. It looks as though it just gave up the ghost. You bring up a good point, however. At this age should I go ahead & fix it or seek an alternative?

Comment

I'd either recore it or replace it with a new manufacture. There seem to be units available that will fit (with a little bit of work.)

Comment

If it's starting to pinhole, it's probably rotten and ready to be replaced.
            RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
            4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
            5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

I agree with Roy. When my 63 R2 Hawk radiator started to leak, the shop spent hours chasing leaks. He’d fix one spot, another leaked, and so on. Finally got a new core.

Comment

Alrighty. New core sources? and BTW I really appreciate the responses & info on the forum. It will save time & frustration in the long run.

Comment

Dick, I believe that a 60 's ford cross flow core is what should fit, but any shop that still does radiators should have a chart with core sizes. Stan's Radiator off HWY 9, it's north of HWY 92 (to Granite Falls ) on the East side of the road. They are usually busy. Lou Cote

Comment

If you decide to have it recored, ask for a core with increased fins per inch. That increases the cooling area a great deal and the difference in costs isn't much.
                    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Once this happens, the next leak is soon to come. The radiator is 55 years old corroded and weak. Best thing is to recore it with as many tubes as you can cram in there. It'll be $500 but it is better than being stranded at the mercy of a grease monkey with $ signs in his eyes.

Comment

Update.
                        I've gone for the re-core. Should be getting the radiator back by the end of the week or early next week. BTW it was also suggested to re-core the the heater core. By the looks of things I had to agree and that may push things back a "bit."

Comment

Green stuff antifreeze turns acidic over time.
                          Bez Auto Alchemy
                          573-318-8948
                          http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Green stuff was in there & the engine was rebuilt last year. I think I'll be switching to the "other" longer lasting anti freeze once the radiator is back.

Comment

I use caterpillar red long life antifreeze. Good for 10 years. Have never had any problems.
                              Tom Senecal Not enough money or years to build all of the Studebakers that I think I can.

Comment

Working...
                              X