Thermal insulation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool/Heat: Thermal insulation

I am about to have my 1963 Avanti repainted, and I have obtained an interior kit from Rene Harger at Southeast Studebaker, which I mean to install when I get the newly-repainted car back. I mean to install insulation under the carpet and vinyl, and I have looked at Dynamat of course, but that, and most of the other products I have looked at are more for sound than thermal insulation. I don't care so much about sound; I want to keep the heat out of the passenger compartment, especially from the transmission tunnel. Does anybody have any experience with this, and have a thermal insulation they recommend? I'm spending a fortune on this car already, and I don't want to pay extra for sound insulation if I can get something that insulates as well or better for heat that costs less than Dynamat does. I'd be interested in learning what other members hear have done.

I have used Eastwood's version of Dynamat on my 1985 Avanti Convertible. I have not put the newly redone interior in yet. I tried to really beef up the insulation, because of the heat. I am far enough along, to tell you to be really careful with how thick you make it, and where. I now have some places that I need to modify my new interior, to fit the new dimensions! Others may have better advice than I have!
    George Rohrbach
    Last edited by Georger; 03-09-2018, 11:32 AM.

Comment

This product from dynaliner claims to cut heat, with a fairly thin material, but doesn't list any real numbers. I personally think that it is good quality, but haven't installed mine yet.https://www.eastwood.com/dynaliner-1...in-x-54in.html
      Tom Senecal Not enough money or years to build all of the Studebakers that I think I can.

Comment

Rene Harger cautioned me about floor insulation under his carpet.

Billy,

Rene fabricated the carpet for my Studebaker. When I picked it up at one of the swap meets I told him I was going to install insulation on the floor before installing the carpet. He recommended against that idea saying the carpet was fabricated to very close measurements and the extra thickness on the floor would effect how the carpet laid. I backed off the idea of completely covering the floor with the Dynamat. I put the Dynamat in the stamped recesses of the floor. It was a compromise on my part but the carpet fit nicely.

Charlie D.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF9451.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	166.1 KB
ID:	1719840Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF9470.JPG
Size:	169.5 KB
ID:	1719841Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF9452.JPG
Size:	146.0 KB
ID:	1719842

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie D View Post
          Billy,

Rene fabricated the carpet for my Studebaker. When I picked it up at one of the swap meets I told him I was going to install insulation on the floor before installing the carpet. He recommended against that idea saying the carpet was fabricated to very close measurements and the extra thickness on the floor would effect how the carpet laid. I backed off the idea of completely covering the floor with the Dynamat. I put the Dynamat in the stamped recesses of the floor. It was a compromise on my part but the carpet fit nicely.

Charlie D.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]70897[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]70898[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]70899[/ATTACH]
          Well, I may have to see if I can make it fit even so. As it is, the A/C just does not keep the car cool to an acceptable level, even though it blows pretty cold. I need to find a way to make it stay cooler.

Comment

In the mid 60's I brushed tar on the floor of my 55 Chevy, then layed down 2 layers of tar paper, then jute padding and carpet. That was the quietest car I'd ever been in and it stayed very comfortable. There never was any odor problem from the tar or tar paper. All I could smell was the new car smell from the new carpet and seat covers.

If the A/C can't keep it cool enough, make sure there are no door or window leaks, and make sure the opening to the trunk is sealed off. Tinted glass is a big help also.

Comment

I may have to give that a shot this spring. Thanks for the info.

Comment

This is what I have used in my cars. The website has examples of the heat resistance as well as sound. http://www.lobucrod.com/
                The product is called EZcool
                Attached Files
                Last edited by 5brown1; 03-09-2018, 02:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
                  In the mid 60's I brushed tar on the floor of my 55 Chevy, then layed down 2 layers of tar paper, then jute padding and carpet. That was the quietest car I'd ever been in and it stayed very comfortable. There never was any odor problem from the tar or tar paper. All I could smell was the new car smell from the new carpet and seat covers.

If the A/C can't keep it cool enough, make sure there are no door or window leaks, and make sure the opening to the trunk is sealed off. Tinted glass is a big help also.
                  The door and window leaks I will address when I get the car back, as I'm installing new seals. Ditto the trunk. I really don't like the idea of window tint in a 1960s vintage car, as I'm trying to keep the appearance stock. But the Avanti has a pretty good-sized greenhouse, so I want to insulate the rest of the interior as well as I can. I've looked at the Lubocrod EZ Cool stuff, and that seems the best for my purposes -- I'm just worried about the interior kit's fit if I lay all that stuff down. Lizardskin's ceramic thermal insulation is much thinner, but it's a spray on product, which gives me pause.

Comment

Tinted windshields w/wo sunband, tinted rear and side windows were optional on Avantis (and most Studes). My 3 Stude Avantis (A/C cars) all have tinted glass.
                    78 Avanti RQB 2792
                    64 Avanti R1 R5408
                    63 Avanti R1 R4551
                    63 Avanti R1 R2281
                    62 GT Hawk V15949
                    56 GH 6032504
                    56 GH 6032588
                    55 Speedster 7160047
                    55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

I have done several Avantis with multiple layers of insulation. On a few complete frame up ones. I used lizard Skin ceramic insulation both inside and on the bottom of the car. Also in the underside I used their sound deadner. Then over that on the inside used a dynamat foil backed insulation, over that I uses closed cell foam with a foil back heater duct insulation, over that, I used a replacement for the stock jute that is a sandwiched mylar with a dense fabric in the middle. With careful application one can trim succesive layers so the thickness isn't any interference with carpet installation. and yes, I did used Renes carpet with that and it DID fit.
                      Bez Auto Alchemy
                      573-318-8948
                      http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by 64studeavanti View Post
                        Tinted windshields w/wo sunband, tinted rear and side windows were optional on Avantis (and most Studes). My 3 Stude Avantis (A/C cars) all have tinted glass.
                        Yes, that's what I had in mind when I said tinted glass helps. I didn't know if he had the glass in the car yet, but if not, then it would pay to go with a factory tinted glass.

Comment

When I did my Avanti, I used :FATMAT" I bought it off Ebay (I think) looks and acts just like Dynomat, but much more reasonable in price. I ran it from the lip of the windshield, to the top of the back seat, also doubled it up on the floor. Made my Avanti MUCH more pleasurable to drive!

Jim
                          "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
                          their Memorials!

Comment

Thank you guys for letting me know that I can use another layer on the floor. It would be worth the extra work to cut down on the road noise and maybe cool the inside down a little bit in the summer.
                            Charlie D.

Comment

I haven't installed any under-carpet insulation in the car but did install Dynamat 1/8" under the hood. The reasoning was I wouldn't have to cut out the carb bonnet. This installation worked out pretty good on my cosmetically modified '63 and did quiet it down so all in all not bad. There is a slight dent in the material at the bonnet and there is also a dent at the rad cap (tank delete). I guess I don't get the invite to Amelia Island... Dynamat seems to work pretty good.

Comment

Working...
                              X