PDA

View Full Version : Body: truck door locks

thom
02-28-2018, 05:19 PM
I have the door lock cylinder working on my 1955 half-ton. I can lock and unlock it from the outside of the passenger's side with the key. I spent this whole afternoon trying to figure out why it would not unlock from the outside if the door was locked by pushing the inside handle down before the door was closed. It looked like a locked-out situation waiting to happen. Then I learned that you cannot lock the door with the inside handle because the door unlocks when you close it. The only way to lock the door from the outside is with the key. I might be a slow learner but at least, maybe, I won't get locked out. Ain't Studebakers great?

StudeRich
02-28-2018, 05:46 PM
70709If you install the inside Handles in the Correct position DOWN, there will be less chance of pushing them Forward to Lock, but as you say they are "Lockout Proof" anyway, just like the Front Doors on Stude. Cars. :)

I remember the 1953 Chev. 3100 Pickup that Dad bought New, I locked the Keys in it with the ENGINE RUNNING and Throttle set, when I was a Kid charging the Battery for him.
It had the same kind of locking inside handle system as a Stude. but obviously had no anti-lock provision. :mad:

thom
02-28-2018, 08:33 PM
Anybody got an owners manual or know how to look at one online? I wonder what the book says about locking and unlocking the doors.

oilnsteel
02-28-2018, 09:13 PM
For some reason, I have found it possible to lock myself out of my truck. Door latches and lock cylinders are new. I always leave a vent window unlatched,
just in case. Don't know why I lock it, nothing inside worth stealing, just petrified french fries under the seat.

StudeRich
03-01-2018, 02:31 AM
Anybody got an owners manual or know how to look at one online? I wonder what the book says about locking and unlocking the doors.

It's pretty simple, you just push the inside handle Forward on the opposite door from whichever one you are closing last, shut that one and turn the Key.
Most Trucks do not have the optional Left Door Lock Cylinder, but those ordered with it of course will.

Inconvenient as it sounds, it was considered Dangerous to exit on the street side of a vehicle, and may have been illegal at one time in some States.

That would be pretty hard to do in Today's Cars wouldn't it? They all have massive Consoles and Bucket Seats!

thom
03-02-2018, 09:03 AM
Oilnsteel, are you saying that your truck will lock by pushing the handle, then closing the door? What model truck is it?
On old Chevys that I have, and have had, the lock cylinder is actually in the outside handle so the handles can be swapped , side to side and the lock cyl moved to the driver's side. I'm glad that I had a smooth cover put on the Studebaker seat, cause it sounds like I will be sliding across the seat when I drive the truck alone.
On '56 Ford trucks the only cylinder is on the passenger's side, unless the second optional, drivers side was ordered like Studerich mentioned. If the drivers side option was available on Studebakers maybe I can get another cylinder and cut the hole in the door for it. I need to be able to lock ours because we might take it to an overnight trip and leave it in a motel parking lot. We are planning to drive it to Pigeon Forge TN in mid May. Plus when we go to local cruise-ins my wife would like to be able to lock her purse and stuff in the truck if we walk away from it.
On late model cars, like my wife's 08 Impala the only lock cylinder is in the driver's door. The trunk has no key cylinder and can only be opened with the transmitter or a button on the dash.

RadioRoy
03-02-2018, 04:26 PM
Even if you lock the doors, you should put her purse under the seat, behind the seat, or somewhere completely out of sight, away from prying eyes.

thom
03-02-2018, 06:20 PM
In a '55 C-cab truck there is not enough room behind or under the seat for her luggage, I mean purse. I will cover it with a floor mat and encourage her to carry a small bag. Thanks.

Skip Lackie
03-03-2018, 04:52 PM
Stude eventually offered the second truck door lock cylinder as an option around 1958, and issued a service bulletin on what was required to install the second cylinder in trucks not so equipped. Unless the driver's door latch assembly has been replaced, simply adding the second cylinder assembly will not solve the problem. The driver's side door latch assembly used on the early 1950s trucks did not have the parts to engage the rod from the cylinder. The latch assembly must be replaced with one that includes those parts.