proper way to remove oil dip stick tube

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: proper way to remove oil dip stick tube

Okay, I am finaly begining to change the clutch on my '63 plain jane Lark. It has a three speed with overdrive. to begin, I would like to know the correct way to remove the dip stick tube as I have to remove the starter as I proceed with the project. My shop manual says remove the tube. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks, Arnie

Assuming it's a six cylinder, since the dipstick tube doesn't get in the way of the starter on the V8's, look for a wire spring clip, snapped under the bearing housing on the end of the starter. It holds the dipstick in place. The other end is formed in a circle threaded over the dipstick tube, and pushes the flange on the tube against the block. Snap the clip free of the starter with a screwdriver, and the dipstick tube should pull right out, easy as pie. Please clean the area first, so dirt can't fall in the hole, and find a rubber or plastic plug to place in the hole to keep dirt out of the oil pan.
    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

(I know it is a different year, but...)

I pulled the oil fill/disptick tube out of the 6 cyl engine in my 2R10 with a Vice Grip slide hammer.
      Worked OK. Popped right out.
      Pulled a brand X dipstick out the same way, but pushed the back end of a drill bit into the tube hole
      to keep the Vice-Grip from crushing the tube.

(Just make sure everything is unbolted like Gord said)
      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Some cars and trucks have them located in different places and attached different ways on the Champion six, including the OHV. For the OHV six it slips in place and is removed the way Gord explained it.

Len

Comment

Working...
        X