Avanti dropped king pins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front Axle / Front Suspension: Avanti dropped king pins

With amended 63 fender wells, my 19" rimmed 76 Avanti II rides about 1 1/2" too high. Avanti's lower control arm has an outer lower pin which is connected to the bottom of the (vertical) king pin with part 1204-64. Has anyone tried flipping this part to make the car ride lower? I think the upper inner eccentric control arm pin support would have to be flipped to maintain stock camber and some lower king pin bevel dealt with. BUT, wouldn't this effectively make the king pins taller (drop the spindle) and also help keep negative camber during cornering ... while dropping the fenders (and front rake) about 1 1/2"?

They are twisted, and offset. It might work if you also swap them side to side. Good question, Someone else may jump in and let us know if that is indeed feasible.
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

If you look in the shop manual, the upper A arm shaft is eccentricly mounted. Undo the bolts and rotate it to achieve what you might need IF is the right direction..

I have never noticed if the lower shafts are offset in any way.

The only problem may be: Is there still enough adjustment on the outer pin to make the car have an alignment somewhere near specs. And-- which way did you need the suspension to 'move' Are you sure it is the lower part? You can 'shim ' it
      Last edited by (S); 12-04-2017, 10:39 PM.

Comment

Call Fairborn Studebaker, Phil Harris can make dropped kingpins. He did it for me.

Comment

Working...
        X