• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool/Heat: Heat shrink hose clamps

Anyone have experience with these?
    64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

Here I go again dissing Modern Technology!

You just have to ask yourself: "WHY"!
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with a stainless steel worm gear clamp, and your engine compartment will not look like a 2017 Honda or something.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I've read about the Gates clamps and while double the price of a standard worm clamp, they do a better job of staying tight as the will conform to changes in the hose. People will say that the clamp is one use only, but technically so are the worm clamps which is what I've found from experience when I had a worm clamp fail on one of my cars and friends have had them fail when trying to re use them. Bud

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a stainless steel worm gear clamp, and your engine compartment will not look like a 2017 Honda or something.
        Wait a minute Rich - a stainless steel worm gear clamp IS modern technology for our Studebakers. Don't tell me you use those on your Studebakers instead of the factory correct round cross section tension clamps and the one screw-type clamp at the water pump inlet?!?
        Last edited by r1lark; 10-24-2017, 02:37 PM. Reason: added "for our Studebakers" for clarity
        Paul
        Winston-Salem, NC
        Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
        Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

For those that care, I noticed that these clamps are made in the USA.
          The price didn't seem too bad until I noticed that the removal tool costs $42.99 plus shipping. I guess that you would need to carry that tool with you in case of a hose failure. Perhaps the clamp could also be cut with a hacksaw or good knife.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Interesting...nowhere does it say use on rubber hoses. Even the Gates website, Silicone is mentioned...NOT rubber..!
            And yes, just like ANY other thermo-plastic...single use only.
            Much cleaner idea...if it works on rubber. Might not shrink "evenly" around the diameter of rubber. Might stick to it prematurely as it's heated. Good to find out before buying a hand full...

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by r1lark View Post
              Wait a minute Rich - a stainless steel worm gear clamp IS modern technology. Don't tell me you use those on your Studebakers instead of the factory correct round cross section tension clamps and the one screw-type clamp at the water pump inlet?!?
              No, I would not trust those Factory spring clamps on a Driver, only on a seldom driven "Show Car".
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

No, I would not trust those Factory spring clamps on a Driver, only on a seldom driven "Show Car".
                But they served so efficiently for over half a century, before ANY of our daily drivers became show cars! Just like 6-volt systems, but not vacuum wipers!
                Brad Johnson,
                SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Thanks, but that's NOT what I asked....
                  64 GT Hawk (K7)
                  1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

I've been using them for a year and really like them. No issues of any kind. They look clean and have a tight grip.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0234.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	136.0 KB
ID:	1716906
                    Gary

Comment

I've used these Gates Heat Shrink hose clamps for 4-5 years...........no problems. I like them.
                      John

Comment

Originally posted by garrilla View Post
                        I've been using them for a year and really like them. No issues of any kind. They look clean and have a tight grip.
                        [ATTACH=CONFIG]68019[/ATTACH]
                        Thanks,... very nice

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by JLB View Post
                        I've used these Gates Heat Shrink hose clamps for 4-5 years...........no problems. I like them.
                        John
                        Thanks for the info
                        64 GT Hawk (K7)
                        1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Working...
                        X