R2+ camshaft valve lash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: R2+ camshaft valve lash

I have a 289 equipped with a R2+ camshaft. It has relatively low miles and runs great, just noisy. I contacted Phil Harris, knowing that he built the engine. He told me that the valve lash could be much tighter that a stock Studebaker cam. I went from .024 down to .018 in a couple of increments. The engine sounds better but the valves are still pretty loud.
    I'm looking for opinions from those of you running this camshaft. Thanks in advance!
    Jamie McLeod
    Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
    1958 Commander "Christine"
    1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
    1955 Commander Sedan
    1964 Champ
    1960 Lark

The valve train noise is likely the nature of tge beast
    It is my understanding that the r2+ is similar to the isky st5. I have the st5 in one of my Avantis. Isky recommends .018 valve lash. It is pretty noisy.
    78 Avanti RQB 2792
    64 Avanti R1 R5408
    63 Avanti R1 R4551
    63 Avanti R1 R2281
    62 GT Hawk V15949
    56 GH 6032504
    56 GH 6032588
    55 Speedster 7160047
    55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

Originally posted by starliner62 View Post
      I have a 289 equipped with a R2+ camshaft. It has relatively low miles and runs great, just noisy. I contacted Phil Harris, knowing that he built the engine. He told me that the valve lash could be much tighter that a stock Studebaker cam. I went from .024 down to .018 in a couple of increments. The engine sounds better but the valves are still pretty loud.
      I'm looking for opinions from those of you running this camshaft. Thanks in advance!
      I don't know where Phil is having these ground but when I was in the parts business and had them made, the lash could be as low as .010" hot. I advised people to start out at .020" and go down a couple thousands at a time until they were happy with the sound as far as noise. With power brakes I wouldn't go that tight though.

Ted

Comment

Yes, when reducing the valve clearance, the clicking noise is reduced, but it's not just about the noise. Tightening the lash increases the cam duration and overlap; the idle gets slightly rougher, vacuum is reduced, low speed torque is slightly reduced, as is fuel economy. The high RPM power is slightly increased. It's all a tradeoff and as Ted says, find your own best compromise.

jack vines
        PackardV8

Comment

Thanks guys. I am aware of the trade offs when reducing the valve lash, just wasn't sure of how far to take it.
          Jamie McLeod
          Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
          1958 Commander "Christine"
          1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
          1955 Commander Sedan
          1964 Champ
          1960 Lark

Comment

Originally posted by starliner62 View Post
            Ditto with the engine - new build, 0.040 rebore, with Phil's cam - valve train set up to factory spec, cant tell you exactly what that is as a friend set it up, but we went by the book; it is noisy, i.e tickety tickety, and it worried me for a while, noisy compared to other brands.... however power is solid under acceleration with the idle as good music.

Comment

I set mine on the tighter end at .010 it's pretty quiet, cam is crazy choppy with open exhaust. Feels good on the street.
              1 Family owned 63 Studebaker Avanti 63r-1705 White with Orange interior , R2 4 speed.
              Just purchased 63r-3623 R2 was a auto now dressed to a R3 with a4speed.

Comment

I have a Racer Brown custom grind off an Avanti 288 degree factory camshaft. It works terrifically in my R4 Clone and the settings are:
                Intake: .012 Hot
                Exhaust: .014 Hot
                Net lift .485
                Duration: 266
                Max RPM: 7000
                I would classify the valve train noise to be about the same as the 60's Chev 365 HP Solid lifter 327 L76
                Sorry I can't seem to be able to post the Racer Brown cam card.
                Bill

Comment

Working...
                X