Water Pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool/Heat: Water Pump

it sounds like the water pump is going out in my '51 Champion Business Coupe. it will make a horrific noise for a few minutes, stops for awhile then starts with the noise again. this is at idle. it seems the noise goes away at higher rpm's.

definitely not the fan belt or generator.

my first stop was the SI catalog. a new one, 682630, is the same price as a rebuilt one - 682630R. the rebuilt one needs a core exchange, the new one does not.

so the question is: why would i want a rebuilt pump when i can get a new one at the same price with no core exchange?
    Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Are you assuming that the new pump is higher quality than the rebuilt one?
    Perhaps the quality of the casting is different?
    Most likely, the rebuilt price was established in the catalog before the reproduction pumps came into existence.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
      Are you assuming that the new pump is higher quality than the rebuilt one?
      Perhaps the quality of the casting is different?
      the only worry about the new pump is the lower quality of newer (overseas) parts. but i don't think there would be a big market to make new ones. i was thinking that SI picked them up from N.A. Sasco, etc.

the problem with the rebuilt part is the time it takes to send the core to them and waiting for the part here. we have decent weather here most of the time until late January and i want to drive her as much as possible!
      Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Sometimes you can order and pay a core charge and get the item right away. When you send in the old core, they refund the core charge.

Does SI do it that way?
        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
        4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
        5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

The Champion water pumps were also used on an Onan generator. (Onan being owned by Studebaker) and I may be wrong but I believe that they used an plastic impeller.
          I found a plastic impeller on a Champion pump once and assumed it was one from Onan.
          It is relatively easy to rebuilt your own if you have the correct tools and follow the shop manual.

Comment

Working...
          X