No announcement yet.

Before I spend money needlessly:-)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition: Before I spend money needlessly:-)

After a good run today (95 degrees outside) I returned home to clean up the car and top off the a/c with some R12...that I had purchased 40 years ago.
    Anyway after the clean up I attempt to start the car as I usually do........turn the ignition switch full right to engage the starter.........well all I heard was click-click-click......I released the key and attempted to restart, same thing.......but I jiggled the key and she cranked over as usual. To check I shut down, and attempted to re-start........same thing....click-click-click............and again I turn the key but jiggle it as I turn.......Shazam.......she cranks like crazy and starts.

So my question is........do I assume it's the ignition switch and purchase a new one, or could it be the starter switch on the fender?............The fact that jiggling the key engages the starter would make me believe it's the ignition switch.

Keep in mind it was hideously hot today.

Thanks in advance for the suggestions.

Well...being you have a Studebaker, indicates you have already spent money needlessly. Me too! But, seems that you have already located the problem. However, before tossing that switch, take the time to inspect, clean, and tighten all those connections on the switch. For some, it don't take much sitting for a little corrosion to form and create havoc for connections.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

It could be a bad starter too. Next time it happens, get out the VOM meter and check for voltage to the solenoid and starter before you do the key trick. Then do the key thing and see what happens. Bob

Comment

Bob stupid question time........if the starter was bad would it crank-n-spin the engine?....I do not understand what the jiggling key has to do with it??
        Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
        It could be a bad starter too. Next time it happens, get out the VOM meter and check for voltage to the solenoid and starter before you do the key trick. Then do the key thing and see what happens. Bob

Comment

Try actuating the solenoid with out touching the key first. I don't know what type of solenoid you have, on some models, power is supplied to the small terminal and some other models the terminal is simply grounded. This will determine the condition of your solenoid and starter and battery independent of the key switch.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawklover View Post
            Bob stupid question time........if the starter was bad would it crank-n-spin the engine?....I do not understand what the jiggling key has to do with it??
            Good question Mike. My background is in Chebby's but when hot the starters can exhibit the issues you describe, heat soak is a common problem. Try the key, nothing. A short time later, engine starts. IAC, the best way to find the problem is still to break out the VOM and see where the lack/presence of voltage takes you. Bob

Comment

Bob, no heat soak, the starter will start to spin immediately upon just jiggling the ignition key on the dash.
              Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
              Good question Mike. My background is in Chebby's but when hot the starters can exhibit the issues you describe, heat soak is a common problem. Try the key, nothing. A short time later, engine starts. IAC, the best way to find the problem is still to break out the VOM and see where the lack/presence of voltage takes you. Bob

Comment

Sounds like dirty contacts in the ignition switch to me. I'd pull the switch out and spray contact cleaner into it best I could, or dismantle clean and lube it.

That Chevy problem is due to the solenoid being mounted to the starter surounded by the exhaust manifold overheating. It can be solved by bypassing/jumping the Chevy solenoid and using a Ford (Studebaker) type solenoid mounted away from the heat on the fender.

Comment

Try pushing in on the back of the switch. I had this happen. The crimp holding the back of the switch were loose. Took the switch out and tighten the crimps with a punch.

Comment

faulty starter solenoids can cause the same symptoms.

Comment

Working...
                    X