Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can a 62 Hawk fender be altered to fit a 61?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can a 62 Hawk fender be altered to fit a 61?

I have a 61 Hawk. I know the 62 fender is listed as non-interchangeable, but I was wondering the the differences are minor enough that it could be altered to fit. Thanks in advance.

Are we talking front or rear? Both can with a little work.

Comment

As far as I know the '62 Hawk fenders (front) will fit earlier C&K models. Holes for trim will be different. Remember that the side grilles on the '62 are the same as '56-61, except not chromed. The quarter panels (often called rear fenders) should interchange except that the top rear portion is different on '62-64 than earlier due to the stainless steel trim extending all the way back to the taillamp on the G.T. Hawks. The '63-64 Hawks have completely different side grilles than earlier cars, necessitating an indentation in the fender for the side grille to fit. Even this could probably be worked out to fit an earlier Hawk with hammer and dolly and filler.
      -Dwight

Comment

If it were mine I would not hack it all up to fit, I would just have a qualified Body Man cut the front end off of the '61 Fender and weld it to the '62 and slap it on.
        You would also need to check the compatibility of the Inner Fenders as well, you may have to save the '61 Inner.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

A very easy swap, since apron and nostril mounts are identical. Only thing needed is to fill in the GT stainless holes and spear slit holes, then drill new holes for the 61 stainless. No need for grafting of anything. Hopefully, the owner has the chrome 61 nostrils, with 61 parking lights. Could easily use the painted ones from 62, as they'd be a bolt in, but would be, "incorrect".

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
            A very easy swap, since apron and nostril mounts are identical. Only thing needed is to fill in the GT stainless holes and spear slit holes, then drill new holes for the 61 stainless. No need for grafting of anything. Hopefully, the owner has the chrome 61 nostrils, with 61 parking lights. Could easily use the painted ones from 62, as they'd be a bolt in, but would be, "incorrect".
            Our Oz assembled 62's have the chrome nostrils...(snort, snort !)..........

Comment

Originally posted by Quentin View Post
              Our Oz assembled 62's have the chrome nostrils...(snort, snort !)..........
              I've often wondered why that happened Quentin - And they used Split bench seats instead of buckets?

Comment

Originally posted by WayneXG95 View Post
                I've often wondered why that happened Quentin - And they used Split bench seats instead of buckets?
                I have heard the same is true for Canadian 62GTs, including tail light housings. I believe they were using up leftover 56-61 nostrils that maybe had problems chroming. In removing the paint from a couple of pairs of 62GT nostrils, I have found one side to be usually painted over blemished chrome, and the other side was painted over metal that looked like copper. I tried to get one of the copper ones re-chromed once, and after awhile the chroming guy gave it back looking as it did when I gave it to him. He was befuddled and said something like, "not sure what's been done to that piece, but it simply will not take chrome". The copper ones may not take chrome, but do take a re-paint very well.

Comment

I just looked at a 58 fender I have and compared it to a 62 that I have and other than the mldg holes on the top I can see no difference what so ever between them..

Comment

Originally posted by swvalcon View Post
                    I just looked at a 58 fender I have and compared it to a 62 that I have and other than the mldg holes on the top I can see no difference what so ever between them..
                    That is correct. Molding holes are the only difference.

Comment

My avatar shows our 63 GT which has a 54 right rear fender. My signature shows my 57 Silverhawk which has a 62 GT right front fender. I simply placed a small piece of metal under the holes on top of the fender and welded up the hole with a Mig Welder, ground it down, and bolted it on.
                      Neil Thornton

Comment

Or you could put a small piece of copper under the holes and weld them up. The weld wont stick to the copper so all you have done is welded up the hole.

Comment

Working...
                        X