Trunk lid insulation 64-5-6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: Trunk lid insulation 64-5-6

Any advice or tips on what makes a good substitute for the black padding used between the inner & outer skin of the '64-5-6 trunks? Mine is not in great shape.
    Mike Sal
    Attached Files

I'd try removing damaged padding and using spray undercoating.

Comment

It was installed BEFORE the inner structure was welded to the outer skin, so it is not replaceable as it was. Cutting it out and spraying something in there sounds like the best option.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

There seems to be enough gap that I think I can slide most of the old padding out from between the inner & outer layers (in pieces). I was curious if anyone who's restored these trunks had found a similar material to replace it. This car came from Chuck Naugels place.
        Mike Sal

Comment

i agree with spray undercoating, but before that, i would scrape the surface rust and seal with POR-15 or a similar rust encapsulator.
          Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

There's no real rust on this trunk (the icky spot you can see in the spot where the padding is gone is the old adhesive). I do plan to flood the interior of the very back of the trunk with rust converter followed by rustoleum rusty metal primer. I'm going to do the same to the hood.....both are rust free & I'd like to keep them that way. It's a shame these cars are so prone to condensation rust (roof, hood, trunk).
            Mike Sal

Comment

I wouldn't use POR-15 or any other rust convertor on anything that is not rusty. It is not intended for that use. Just use a good primer/sealer. I doubt that the parts will be used on salted roads in the future. The sealer will protect against rust from condensation.

As far as the mat on the trunk lid interior - I would try to get similar material, or material from another trunk lid, and fit it into the openings and glue it in. It looks like you would only have to do two of the fifteen openings.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
              X