No announcement yet.

WHERE Does The Prop Rod Go!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: WHERE Does The Prop Rod Go!

For the LIFE of me, I don't have the faintest idea where the prop rod goes on my Sky Hawk! Pictures would help greatly. HELP!...

Here is the way it works on my 61, attached to the Radiator support on one end and when folded down snaps into a clip on the other.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Hawk Prop Rod.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	1715676

Comment

If you mean: Where does it go in the hood? There is a hole for the end of the rod in the tubular cross member near the front of the hood.
      If you mean; Where does it go when not in use? See post no. 2.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Did some of the Hawks prop on the left and some on the right? If so, would there be the possibility of having a left side rod support, and a right side hood? Just wondering.
        sals54

Comment

Doesn't the hood prop rod "prop" on the right side of the car on LHC cars (i.e., US, Canada) and on the left side of the car on RHC cars (i.e., Australia, etc.)?
          -Dwight

Comment

I can't add much beyond post #2. But my car is at least a '56 (56J). I assume you have the mounting clip (believe it's #299777) for the prop? To attach the prop to the right radiator support?

As to LHC vs RHC cars, Dwight's theory is interesting. But I'm wondering what difference it would make for placement of the prop. Admittedly, I don't know the answer.

I seem to recall some running changes during the 56 model year, but mostly dealt with placement of the hole in the hood that receives the prop.

For whatever reason, the '55 K bodies have the prop on the other side.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by riversidevw; 07-21-2017, 04:35 PM.
            Gil Zimmerman
            Riverside, CA

1955 Speedster
            1956 Golden Hawk
            1958 Packard Hawk
            1958 President
            1963 Avanti R2

Comment

The '53 K bodies also have the prop rod on the driver's (left here in America) side.
              My very early (and Vernon) 56J has the hole for the rod (in the tubular brace on the hood) in a slightly different place (a little toward the center) than my friends later (South Bend) 56J. Very interesting......................
              Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
              '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
              '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
              '58 Packard Hawk. A partially restored car that was not completely assembled.

Comment

Howard, my 56J is a very late Vernon car, built and shipped in June '56. It has the hole for the support rod in the outer location. Here's the strange part. The subject of placing the hole closer to the center line was first mentioned in the April '56 Service Bulletin. They say it was done to give more uniform support to the hood. They even suggest drilling a new hole on the earlier cars, that new hole about 8 inches from the center line of the hood. So you would expect to find it in the late production cars, not the very early ones.There's been no obvious sign of replacement of my hood, but guess we can't totally exclude some sort of panel replacements early in the life of either car. For mine, a conceivable explanation might be the LA plant using remaining parts from earlier in the year. Has anybody ever seen a Vernon-built 56J with painted interior window garnish moldings? My late car and several others use the early style polished stainless. Vernon plant must have been an "interesting" place in that final model year there.

Relevant 56J Service Bulletins are posted on Frank's 56J website.

Gil
                Gil Zimmerman
                Riverside, CA

1955 Speedster
                1956 Golden Hawk
                1958 Packard Hawk
                1958 President
                1963 Avanti R2

Comment

Those Hawk hoods always scare the carp out of me anyway. I can't even imagine what that would do a guys back should it come down by accident. Ugh.. I always use extra precaution when a Hawk hood it up. I use at least 2 other supports and leave the factory rod in its sleeping position. This also allows me to prop the hood in a higher position than stock so I don't scalp myself on the hood catch.
                  sals54

Comment

My error regarding the placement of the hole in the tubular support; I forgot that some previous owner replaced the hood with a '57 to '62 hood. OOPS!
                    By the way, I AM looking for a correct '56 hood if someone has one for sale.
                    Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
                    '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
                    '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
                    '58 Packard Hawk. A partially restored car that was not completely assembled.

Comment

Originally posted by sals54 View Post
                      Those Hawk hoods always scare the carp out of me anyway. I can't even imagine what that would do a guys back should it come down by accident. Ugh.. I always use extra precaution when a Hawk hood it up. I use at least 2 other supports and leave the factory rod in its sleeping position. This also allows me to prop the hood in a higher position than stock so I don't scalp myself on the hood catch.
                      You just need one of these. The hood will open a foot higher.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0740.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	141.0 KB
ID:	1715681Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0738.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	1715679Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0739.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	132.3 KB