Need help removing trim from 53 Regal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: Need help removing trim from 53 Regal

I need to remove the trim from my 53 Regal Commander safely. I can figure the door trim comes off with the bolts and nuts but what is a safe way to remove the drip rail and windshield trim? I want to be able to put it back on.

51 Studebaker Starlight State Commander Coupe
    53 Studebaker Starlight Regal Commander Coupe
    62 Volvo PV544 Sport

The restoration shop in my area told me to use a brake adjusting spoon and gently work the trim from the bottom. Removed the drip rail trim that way from my 59 wagon. I also used a paint stir stick to protect the body.

Comment

The windshield trim is locked into the rubber gasket. You'll have to remove the windshield, then remove the trim.

Comment

Also on the windshield side trim pieces, there may be two small Phillips screws that attach trim to the roof pillar.
        sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
        Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
        "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

the drip rail trim can be removed with an old fashioned beer can opener. one end pointed and the other flat. use the flat end with some tape. modern paint can openers are
          not the same although they appear similar. my Hamm's opener worked fine on the speedster. trim just snaps back on.

Comment

On the drip rail, you see there is a tie-in clip (my word) to cover the ends. I would start there. Some of these parts require the deftness and dexterity of a jeweler's hands. Study the parts, and gently pry as you work at the trim. Essential to work within the spring memory of the metal, and not over stretch/stress it. In the past, when doing this task, I have taken old plastic tooth brushes, ground a chisel point on the handles, and used them to pry off the parts. It has been a long time since I have done this, so I'm being careful not to be too bold to advise you.

I had a brother that would have ripped them off and then wondered what went wrong. Some of these parts require patience, and instead of "ripping" them off, require you to "worry" them off. My experience is so dated, that if I had to do it today, I'd have to re-teach myself.
            John Clary
            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

When it comes to the drip rails, SLOW and steady wins the race. Go SLOW! Did I mention to GO SLOW!!
              Chip
              '63 Cruiser
              '57 Packard wagon
              '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
              '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

After removing the drip moulding make sure you sand to the bare metal and than prime coat very thin
                When you paint over your old paint , your drip moulding will not snap in properly.

Comment

When it comes to the drip rail mdlg. if it doesn't have to come off leave it on and tape it off.

Comment

May be best NOT to remove the drip rail stainless.
                    My 1st car. "A TRANSTAR"

Starliner
                    sigpic
                    Somewhere between Culture and Agriculture
                    in the Geographic center of Tennessee

Comment

If you can't, or don't want to make your own tools, here is a set with a variety of tips and angles for trim removal.http://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-5-p...val-tools.html
                      Tom Senecal Not enough money or years to build all of the Studebakers that I think I can.

Comment

Great information. But I want to be clear. The old beer opener is the type we used to punch the hole in top, correct? And when you say bottom to top are we talking slight prying motion grabbing the bottom of the drip rail? The big stainless windshield strips are in the moulding? Do the top of the door mouldings just pry off as well? I know the are held on be clips underneath. Same with the rear spears?
                        62 Volvo PV544 Sport

Comment

All the trim has to come off. I am transferring it to the other rust free car I have. I like the look of it.
                          62 Volvo PV544 Sport

Comment

I guess that taking it of the parts car is to only answer, but I fear that you won't like the removal process and will like the installing results even less. I was told this many years ago but didn't listen. I guess that we all have to make our own mistakes at least once.

Comment

yes, it is the type with the end used to punch a hole in a can. The other end is for bottle caps. You cover that flat end with some tape and use it as you would to pry off a bottle cap - grabbing the bottom of the drip rail.
                              as others have said - slowly and it will come off with no damage. I do not remember how the windshield stainless is removed.

Comment

Working...
                              X