OHV 6 Manifold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: OHV 6 Manifold

Does anyone know the dimensions and port spacing on the manifolds (intake and exhaust) for the OHV 6. I know there are no speedparts or anything, but it's a slow day at work and I have a CAD program. The car is unfortunately 60 miles away,

Or if someone has a spare manifold they'd like to mail me. I have the capability to scan and x-ray it in, then change to fit whatever setup.

Just an idea! I realize there is no market for this

You never know what people may want. There are some who have used the 185 internals with the OHV setup and been happy with the added pep. Use a later head less prone to cracking
    and some small weber carbs for an under 100 cubic inch 4 banger and you could have a fun timebomb.

Comment

Studebaker was working on reviving the 185 toward the end to get a six with more power so blueprints might exist of a 2bb manifold for an ohv six. Scanning an existing manifold and tweaking the carb mount for a 2bb might be easier and cheaper than archive research fees and postage.

If one could be made by a 3d printer that would hold up to the heat of the exhaust manifold or a kit with cut pieces and computer bent tubing, and not cost an arm and a leg. Who knows

I have a 64 vintage six in my garage and a 185 ohv six will be built someday provided no family disasters and other tragedies occur.

That being said, I have spare Ohv six manifolds down in the basement but mailing to California might be a bit much.

Jeff T.

ps. Ron Dame might have interest, he actually built a 185 for his Champ
      Last edited by Jeff T.; 05-09-2017, 03:44 PM.
      \"I\'m getting nowhere as fast as I can\"
      The Replacements.

Comment

This 52 showed up at the South Bend meet with an OHV six. Bored with a 185 crank it has over 200 cubes. The pictures are not the best. I found out later that I had water on the lens of my camera.
        Attached Files
        "In the heart of Arkansas."
        Searcy, Arkansas
        1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
        1952 2R pickup

Comment

Gotta love that color!!! Doofus

Comment

What's that carb?
            As far as the OP, shipping of that lump of iron would be expensive. What about starting with buying a manifold gasket? I've also heard, and not pursued, that Digger Dave Molnar may have manifold flange patterns already. I don't have his contact, nor tried very hard.
            Ron Dame
            '63 Champ

Comment

Thanks everyone. I guess the flange will be the determining factor. After that, just tack on a few tubes and such. I will start with drafting that. I have some carbs in mind I want to try first. Three individuals.

Modifying the exhaust manifold to remove the heat riser and such might be difficult, because welding cast iron isn't exactly my specialty. Maybe I can come up with an actual heater.

Comment

For a heater typical is to create a heat exchanger that uses hot water from the cooling system. Some of the better aftermarket multicarb inline manifolds have a cast in base with heater hose fittings that circulate cooling water from engine under the carbs to limit effects of not having a heat riser like the factory manifolds.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Dame View Post
                  What's that carb?.
                  Looks sorta like the 2-barrell carb from a '51/'52 V8 Stude. I think they were Stromberg AAUVB or something like that.
                  Paul
                  Winston-Salem, NC
                  Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
                  Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

I have some carbs in mind I want to try first. Three individuals.
                    Agree, three SU sidedraft carbs, as used on Brit buzzing little anvils, would be perfect for a Champion. I have two off an MG and as soon as I find a third, I'm building an intake. FWIW, the intake port centers of the flathead are very close to those of the BMC A-series.

jack vines
                    PackardV8

Comment

That's my dream, 3 SU's. They have a bad reputation, but that's because they are different, and very sensitive to throttle shaft wear. But they are easy to tune, and stay there once you chose the right needles.

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
                      Agree, three SU sidedraft carbs, as used on Brit buzzing little anvils, would be perfect for a Champion. I have two off an MG and as soon as I find a third, I'm building an intake. FWIW, the intake port centers of the flathead are very close to those of the BMC A-series.

jack vines
                      Ron Dame
                      '63 Champ

Comment

and very sensitive to throttle shaft wear.
                        For true, an carb aluminum body mounted on a vibrating 4-cyl routinely running at 3,000-4,000 RPMs literally wears itself out from the inside as the shaft continually is shaking in the bore and the vacuum is pulling in fine road dust which when mixed with gas makes a good cutting compound.

jack vines
                        PackardV8

Comment

Working...
                        X