Leaf spring frame bushing removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frame / Springs: Leaf spring frame bushing removal

Found a neat way to remove the spring bushings from the frame of my Hawk. The inner sleeves and rubber came out with the shackles leaving just the outer shells. I thought I'd try to cut the shells using an old muffler tool I've had for ages - and it worked great. I did grind a bit of the top tip of the tool in a slight radius to prevent it from digging into the frame tube. I extended the length of the tool using an old 1/2" extension to keep from beating on the quarter panel. Here's a picture of the tool and the removed shells.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0300.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	1753956

Does that tool fit into the chuck of an air hammer, or do you have to beat on it with an armstrong hammer? Seems to me part of the problem is that the body gets in the way of beating on it effectively.

I have to do this job on one or more of my cars soon.
    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

What I have done is very similar......but I use a hacksaw blade and cut almost thru the sleeve, then use the muffler tool or a small cold chisel.

By the way, if the rubber won't come out easily, you can burn it out with a torch. Two cautions -- 1) do it outside 2) best to have the gas tank out
      Paul
      Winston-Salem, NC
      Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
      Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

you haven't had fun until you've removed those from an AVANTI. body is in the way. I'll bid the next job on one of those much higher.....:-)

Russ Shop Foreman \"Rusty Nut Garage\"
        53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
        57 SH (project)
        60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Comment

For the spring bushings, it takes a whole five minutes each, just tap a screwdriver into the crack where the spring bushing eyelet joins together. That will spread the eyelet enough for the bushing to practically fall out in your hand.

Now the FRAME mounted bushings are a whole nother ball game. There really ain't no easy way to get those out. You can try your favorite threaded puller, and might get lucky. More often than not, each one will take an hour or so of hammering, chiseling, sawing the outer shell in two with a hand held hacksaw blade, and several other approaches, before it will finally come out.

Comment

I thought the frame bushings were what this thread was about Joe...........
            Paul
            Winston-Salem, NC
            Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
            Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

My son bought a hole saw and drilled the rubber out (1/2 one side, 1/2 the other side), sawz-all the shell and pop it out with a chisel. Took 15 minutes on his Wagoneer.

Comment

Originally posted by gordr View Post
                Does that tool fit into the chuck of an air hammer, or do you have to beat on it with an armstrong hammer? Seems to me part of the problem is that the body gets in the way of beating on it effectively.

I have to do this job on one or more of my cars soon.
                The angle of the handle allowed the hex shank of the tool to just clear the bottom of the quarter, but it got closer as I progressed cutting through the bushing. The female end of a 1/2" drive extension just fit over the tool handle and allowed me leverage to keep it away from the paint and I could then bang on the extension. If the tool is sharp, it doesn't take many blows to get through the sleeve (I used a three pounder). I have not seen an air hammer version of the tool, but a Snap-On GA-32 muffler chisel is close to what I have.

Comment

Originally posted by r1lark View Post
                  I thought the frame bushings were what this thread was about Joe...........
                  Oops,
                  My bad. Reading and looking closer, looks like the OP is onto something. Some of my worse memories of working on Studes, are of trying to get those bushing shells out of the frame. Looks like wh22366 has found an easier, softer way!

Comment

Originally posted by r1lark View Post
                    What I have done is very similar......but I use a hacksaw blade and cut almost thru the sleeve, then use the muffler tool or a small cold chisel.

By the way, if the rubber won't come out easily, you can burn it out with a torch. Two cautions -- 1) do it outside 2) best to have the gas tank out
                    Exactly what I did. It didn't take very long at all to remove them. Then replaced them with these. It won't be a problem again and the rear end won't shift around under the car.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	20160610_144722.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	1713488

Comment

Originally posted by bensherb View Post
                      Exactly what I did. It didn't take very long at all to remove them. Then replaced them with these. It won't be a problem again and the rear end won't shift around under the car.
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]63906[/ATTACH]
                      please describe where you got those..... I like...

Comment

Working...
                      X