289 rod bolts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: 289 rod bolts

Anyone know the dimensions of the 289 rod bolts? The tech guy at ARP said he only showed one rod bolt that fits Studebaker but it didn't say which engine. They are 2.325 over all length, .376 press fit diameter shank, 3/8 bolt size with 24 pitch tread.

Phil Harris will know, that's where I get mine.
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

All V8 rod bolts are the same and thus ARP only lists one.

FWIW, if ordering from ARP, ask for the nuts as well. The bolts will come, with $10 shipping and then they'll say, "Oh, you wanted nuts too? That'll be another $20 and another $10 shipping.

jack vines
      PackardV8

Comment

Jack your right I checked and the nuts are extra. Adds about $2. per rod. I want to get the bolts installed and have Jay check them to make sure they don't move out of round. Then I can get the pistons installed and put this thing together. I still can't see why Studebaker continued with that old fashion pinch bolt idea. They could have went press fit and saved money plus had a better set up. As far as I can see another Studebaker THIS IS HOW WE DO IT AND WE'RE NOT GOING TO CHANGE AND WE DON'T CARE HOW BAD IT BITES US IN THE ASS thing.

Comment

Originally posted by swvalcon View Post
          Jack your right I checked and the nuts are extra. Adds about $2. per rod. I want to get the bolts installed and have Jay check them to make sure they don't move out of round. Then I can get the pistons installed and put this thing together. I still can't see why Studebaker continued with that old fashion pinch bolt idea. They could have went press fit and saved money plus had a better set up. As far as I can see another Studebaker THIS IS HOW WE DO IT AND WE'RE NOT GOING TO CHANGE AND WE DON'T CARE HOW BAD IT BITES US IN THE ASS thing.
          FWIW, we've converted the rods on several custom builds to use Ford pistons and press-fit pins. This requires a rod boring machine, but a side benefit is once the big end is reconned round (most need it whether or not ARP bolts are used) and the small end is bored to Ford diameter, the rods are then identical center-to-center length.

Nowadays, if we're ordering custom forged pistons, we usually specify them to come with Ford pins.

jack vines
          PackardV8

Comment

Just my point Jack. Studebaker could have done that years ago. Wouldn't have cost them any more when making the pins and pistons and machining the rod to start with plus saved the cost of eight bolts and nuts per car. I would think the labor to heat and install the rods to the pin would have been about the same as putting in the bolts. I've noticed that a lot where it's a case of they had them and so we will just keep doing it this way.

Comment

Stude rods. press fitted with Ford pins. Stude pinch bolts torqued to spec. are still required, right???
              Other than a larger pin dia. and ability to blueprint center-to-center, it would still be dependent upon being tightly clamped into place by the stock Studebaker pinch bolt set up.
              Perhaps I'm missing something, but it seems Ford pins press-fitted into stock Studebaker rods would have little advantage over the factory arrangement.
              Does the larger Ford pin weigh significantly less than a Studebaker pin? Do Studebaker rods have really crappy machining tolerances?
              Last edited by Jessie J.; 04-08-2017, 06:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jessie J. View Post
                Stude rods. press fitted with Ford pins. Stude pinch bolts torqued to spec. are still required, right???
                No, the small end is reamed to the Ford spec; .001" smaller than the pin.
                Other than a larger pin dia. and ability to blueprint center-to-center, it would still be dependent upon being tightly clamped into place by the stock Studebaker pinch bolt set up.
                No, the small end is heated, the pin is dropped in and when the rod cools, it clamps the pin.

Perhaps I'm missing something, but it seems Ford pins press-fitted into stock Studebaker rods would have little advantage over the factory arrangement.
                Does the larger Ford pin weigh significantly less than a Studebaker pin? Do Studebaker rods have really crappy machining tolerances?
                Yes, the Ford pin weighs less than the Studebaker pin, pinch bolt/nut/washer.

jack vines
                PackardV8

Comment

So you just leave the pinch bolt out?

Comment

So you just leave the pinch bolt out?
                    Again, yes; after resizing to Ford specs. Most every US production engine designed in the past sixty years uses interference fit pins.

jack vines
                    PackardV8

Comment

Ford Y block pins and pistons? Or do other series Ford parts also work? Is there a Ford piston interchange of suitable diameter and compression height for use in a 259?

Comment

Ford Y block pins and pistons? Or do other series Ford parts also work? Is there a Ford piston interchange of suitable diameter and compression height for use in a 259?
                        Many years ago, I used Ford 272" Y-block pistons in a 259".

FWIW, most machine shops don't like to see these weird-ball projects come in. They make their money on the belly-button stuff.

jack vines
                        PackardV8

Comment

Just 'bench racing' inquiries regarding the possibilities of the 259 (I own 3 of 'em ) Seeking a simple off the shelf piston interchange that would provide for near zero deck height, machining a little off the piston crown if necessary .
                          Then adjusting chamber volume & compression ratio via means of R-3 type cylinder notching and chamber machining.
                          Goal being making a maximally efficient, durable, powerful normally aspirated Studebaker 259. (NOT a race engine)
                          Really want to avoid any unnecessary overbore, or machining much off of the factory deck height, and do not want to turn the 259 into a 289 (have one)

Assembly would be performed by myself. Were I in your vicinity and not on a budget I'd certainly be availing myself of your decades of hands on expertise and experience. So your informed advice is being sought.

Comment

Seeking a simple off the shelf piston interchange
                            Wouldn't we all. ;>)

AFAIK, there aren't any. Over the years, there's been several mentions of using Aussie Holden 6-cyl pistons, the Ford 272", but nothing which is readily available and just drops in.

jack vines
                            PackardV8

Comment

The Ford Coyote piston just (nearly)fit the 289 then?
                              Bez Auto Alchemy
                              573-318-8948
                              http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                              X