74 Avanti Heater Probe Location

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool/Heat: 74 Avanti Heater Probe Location

Apparently my notes on the disassembly of my 74 Avanti aren't as complete as I thought.

I'm reassembling the under dash items and can't find where the probe on the heat control valve goes. Is it just into the cabin, the heater box, at the air outlet from the heater or somewhere else.

Thanks in advance, Bob

This guy- Click image for larger version

Name:	74 Heater Probe.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	1753798

IMO, since it's a thermocouple and it controls the Ranco type valve, the end of that tube should be set in the fins of the heater core. There is a similar sensor on the A/C temp control and it is stuck in between the fins of the evaporator.
    64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

On my 63 Avanti; the thermocouple is coiled; and is under the dashboard behind the glove box. The idea is to measure the temperature in the cabin of the car to control the flow of water to the heater. I usually control the temperature by the heater lever. Too hot reduce it, too cold increase the setting.
      Ron

Comment

I agree with Ron.

The A/C probe needs to be in the evaporator fins to control the temp just above 32*, so the evaporator doesn't frost over.

Comment

On Studebaker versions, there is a hole in the plenum box,(the one the defroster ducts hook to) and a rubber grommet which the probe passes through. I would think that it would be similar on later versions, since the valve looks the same.
          Bez Auto Alchemy
          573-318-8948
          http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
            On Studebaker versions, there is a hole in the plenum box,(the one the defroster ducts hook to) and a rubber grommet which the probe passes through. I would think that it would be similar on later versions, since the valve looks the same.
            Thanks, Make sense so that's where it will go. Bob

Comment

Working...
            X