Door hinge access

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: Door hinge access

Gday guys just quick question regarding how to access behind the door hinges as iv started loosening the screws to shim the hing out a fraction. The screw won't tighten back up so i'm guessing there's a nut on the other side, do you have to remove the quarter panel to access it? i'm hoping there is a nut and i haven't snapped the screw. oh it a 65 cruiser, Thanks

If it's a front door you would normally loosen the 3 hinge strap screws on the door and re position the door.the hinge retainer screws go thru the hinge post and have captive nuts on front side , seen at back side of front fender. Luck Doofus

Comment

noworries, cheers doofus

Comment

My hands have almost completely healed since wrangling with those darn hinges. Yes, those are captive nuts behind there. And if they are stripped out - oh the woe and grief. Better that the retainer rusted and jettisoned those nuts, then it's just - JUST - a matter of fashioning a square nut and inserting it in place. Unless you have Lilliputian hands this task is an exercise in contortion and patience. Do not attempt this if you are a hemophiliac. The previous owner on my '50 Champion has welded two of the hinges to the frame - ostensibly to avoid the crippling affects of squeezing one's hands into a static meat grinder. Hyperbole aside, the effort is worth it and can be achieved. Boy, those bead blasted, rust killed, primed and painted hinges look great! New screws, liberally coated with Never Sieze complete this - hopefully never to be done again - activity.
        1950 Champion
        1962 MGA

Comment

Oh, I might add that if your car has a way to cut an access hole - for example inside the wheel well where it won't be noticed - then by all means consider this. My '50 Champion didn't provide this option to me. Probably no way to do this on a non suicide four door due to the mounting on the pillar.
          1950 Champion
          1962 MGA

Comment

a few years back, there was a "shared" tool made by someone on this site that allowed for drilling out these screws.....came in real handy....(door side)

Comment

Thanks for the info, i thought before i committed to removing the top hinges on both doors i'd try loosening one of the lower hinge screws, and the cracking of the screw coming loose made me think that hopefully spare parts are easily available, thinking i'll try adjust the door side of the hinges and go the whole hog another time.
              Are hinge pins replaceable? or are complete after-market hinges available

Comment

Believe pins are available from SI. Luck Doofus

Comment

Working...
                X