Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Air Force One. An Era Comes To An End......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Force One. An Era Comes To An End......

Sadly, Time marches on....
    The Air Force One paint scheme created by Raymond Loewy for the Kennedy administration in the early 1960's is being replaced. Should be on the 'new' planes being delivered in 2024.

(snippet copy... See link for complete article)

Last edited by showbizkid; 06-13-2019, 09:00 AM.
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Surprised it's not gold. Things change, good design doesn't have to.
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

I think the current color scheme is timeless...regardless of its Loewy origins. The proposed new schemes look too much like something an airline would do...not bad but less distinctive than the current colors scheme.
      Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Yuk! What's wrong with the current paint job?
        Ed Sallia
        Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

I didn't scan the article and I haven't heard anything about it yet.... Is the new Air Force One supposed to be a MAX?
          The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Listened to the interview.
            Alas, I read this as "Change what you can, when you can, and make sure folks know you're the one that did it."

Comment

Two new 747s had been in the plan even before Trump lost his ability to be a private citizen; but he is not fond of the original Kennedy era paint scheme.
              The new planes are supposed to be a bit larger than the existing 747-400s, but full plans for the interior, as well as the paint, may still require congressional approval.

Brad Johnson,
              SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I guess the new paint scheme is okay, but the old one was fine.
                "In the heart of Arkansas."
                Searcy, Arkansas
                1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                1952 2R pickup

Comment

All I can say is, "Iconic" no more!

Not at all inspirational...

Comment

Was never a fan of the baby/powder blue color so it was time to go. Nothing more patriotic than a red, white, and blue plane so those are the most appropriate colors. The design possibilities are endless though.

Comment

From what I've seen (TV) and read, the current, blue and white was a "collaboration" between Mrs. Kennedy and Loewy. Not just a Loewy design and color scheme. There was an hour long TV show about in a coupla months back.

In any case, it seems it may be going back to earlier colors that were proposed (according to Wiki) by the Air Force that Jack Kennedy did not like with the red and gold that they wanted. He let Mrs. Kennedy handle the new "fresh" design and paint colors. Seems Loewy was more on the design and she was more on the colors. According to the TV show and sorta verified in (Wiki)

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
                        The proposed new schemes look too much like something an airline would do...not bad but less distinctive than the current colors scheme.
                        Not to mention something the US Marines have already done....

https://www.flickr.com/photos/23032926@N05/5223859837

Originally posted by Chris Pile View Post
                        I didn't scan the article and I haven't heard anything about it yet.... Is the new Air Force One supposed to be a MAX?
                        Uhhhhhh..... no. Because there is no such thing as a 747Max.

There are 737 variants in the fleet at the 89th Airlift Wing though. They are based on the 737-700BBJ.
                        Those are known as C-40Bs, and the 89th has two of the four built.

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
                        The new planes are supposed to be a bit larger than the existing 747-400s, but full plans for the interior, as well as the paint, may still require congressional approval.
                        A 747-8I is bigger than a 747-400, yes. But the current VC-25 isn't a -400. It's a -200 with many parts from the -300 line.

Originally posted by Mike Van Veghten View Post
                        Seems Loewy was more on the design and she was more on the colors.
                        If you've ever seen photos of what the jet (SAM 26000) looked like before the redesign-- you'd see that he didn't work too hard on his part.

StudeDave '57
                        US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                        SDC Member since 1985

past President
                        Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                        San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                        San Diego Chapter SDC
                        North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Nice historical pix, Dave!

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

The US Marines have been painted that for many years, nothing new there.
                            Mike - Assistant Editor, Turning Wheels
                            Fort Worth, TX

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Loewy vs Trump.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	1728401

Here's a comparison of one of the original designs by Raymond Loewy Associates (courtesy of the Hagley Museum in Delaware, which has many of Loewy's papers) and an englargement of one of the options in the earlier photo from the Oval Office. President Trump says he's making this change "for future Presidents," but it's interesting to see how Loewy pitched the idea (supposedly in the same Oval Office) of a red, white, and blue AF One -- but President Kennedy opted for the blue on blue with silver bottom design instead.

While I am generally a Trump supporter, I don't like this change. The new design -- to me -- looks like some old USAirways jet...

Comment

Working...
                              X