No announcement yet.

assistance needed in 805 area code

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actually I was wondering if I SHOULD consider it. I think my suspicions have been confirmed. Also, nowhere can I find the dimension of the width of a '50 or '51 Champion. I need to determine if there is adequate space with another car in the garage. I'm OK on length.

Comment

Studebakers are pretty narrow; more so than many of their contemporaries. 47-52 are the same width, with the widest part being the bulge in the forward end of the rear fenders.

Studebaker Champions are great cars, but when equipped with an automatic transmission, their acceleration is quite leisurely. Read that S-L-O-O-O-O-W. Also, since the top gear is 1:1, they are limited in top speed - around 55 or so - much more limited than an overdrive equipped car.

The reason that automatic transmission equipped Champions are coming out of the woodwork these days is probably because they have been passed over for decades in favor of cars equipped with overdrive transmissions. Overdrive equipped Champion cars are much more fun to drive, get better gas mileage and can actually go on the highway.
      Last edited by RadioRoy; 06-16-2019, 01:15 PM.
      RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
      4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
      5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Yes, I agree about the automatic and overdrive. A couple years ago there was a near mint 1950 Commander automatic for $10,000 about 50 miles from me. I thought about it for a couple weeks, then decided that I should buy it, but it sold a few days before I got back there. I'm sure glad it sold, because a year later I wound up buying an excellent original 1950 Land Cruiser with overdrive for $2000 less. I consider an automatic just an around town car for driving, while my overdrive is much better for cross country drives.

Comment

The real question appears to be Which year model car is this?

Comment

Well.... is there anyone CLOSE to area code 805, Calif. central coast, who could give me a tutorial and a ride in their 1950 or '51 Champion?

Comment

William,

If you could narrow it down to your vicinity, I can make some contacts in the area to help you out. Central as in Palm Springs, Bakersfield, or other areas. I can make some contacts but I don't know California Geography other than LA and San Diego.

Bob Miles
              Pacific Southwest Zone Coordinator

Comment

I am located near San Luis Obispo, in Nipomo. 90 miles north of Santa Barbara. The central coast could be defined as being from Monterey extending south to Santa Barbara. Unfortunately there is no SDC chapter in this area. I did send an e mail to the Bakersfield chapter president asking if any members had a '50 or '51 Champion that I might take a ride in, but I never got a reply.

Comment

Originally posted by Edsel Face View Post
                  I am located near San Luis Obispo, in Nipomo. 90 miles north of Santa Barbara. The central coast could be defined as being from Monterey extending south to Santa Barbara. Unfortunately there is no SDC chapter in this area. I did send an e mail to the Bakersfield chapter president asking if any members had a '50 or '51 Champion that I might take a ride in, but I never got a reply.
                  William,

I have a 2018 Membership roster and I can email some folks in the area that may have the models listed you want to "test drive or ride". I will work on this on Monday. Jenny and I are celebrating our 39th Wedding Anniversary this weekend. Hopefully someone will respond to my emails.

Bob Miles

Comment

Congratulations! I estimate the population between Monterey and Santa Barbara to be 300,000 400,000. Maybe someone could research the roster to see if there are enough members residing in this area to warrant forming a chapter.

Comment

There USED to be a SDC Chapter in the Ventura County Area around Santa Barbara!

It would be Great to get one going again.
                      StudeRich
                      Second Generation Stude Driver,
                      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by Edsel Face View Post
                        Congratulations! I estimate the population between Monterey and Santa Barbara to be 300,000 400,000. Maybe someone could research the roster to see if there are enough members residing in this area to warrant forming a chapter.
                        I will call on one of our regional managers in California for additional assistance. The Regional Manager North, Lou Van Anne, is out of town but will be back in two weeks. Currently in California we have approximately 900 members. That is approximately 10 percent of the worldwide membership in one area. I am certain William, that will not much effort we can find a few members with a 1950 and 1951 Champion to assist.

As in 2020, the position for Board Member and Zone Coordinator will be open. Malcolm Stinson is term limited and we will need to elect a new Board Member. Keep this in mind after you find the car you want to see about a position with the Studebaker Drivers Club.

For all of our California Members, keep this in mind about volunteering to represent the Pacific Southwest Zone.

Bob Miles

Comment

Just looking at the roster from A to H, I have found in Santa Barbara a 1950 Champion and in San Carlos, a 1952 Champion which will drive like a 1951 Champion. I can keep looking and then contact by email the members, who I am sure will be willing to help out. Also, Mimi (regional manager south) and Bob Halgren have 2 1950 Champions but they are in the 919 ZipCode.

Bob Miles

Comment

San Carlos is a looooooong way from Santa Barbara in a Champion.
                            RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                            4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                            5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Santa Barbara would be the closest, about 90 miles south.

Comment

Maybe I am missing something. William, are you willing to drive to where I can find both a 50 or 51 that an owner would have you test out the car? As I can this weekend, I will contact the owner(s) and wait for a response. Have you found a car it is just not in your area?

Also to consider, at the end of September, the Pacific Southwest Zone Meet is in Sacramento at the end of September. There might be a car there waiting for you. Great way to make good friends and great contacts. I will be there, but that should not be the reason to come!!!!!

Bob Miles

Comment

Working...
                                X