Borg Warner Automatic Transmission

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: Borg Warner Automatic Transmission

I have a 259 with BW transmission hooked to it. I think it came from a 1964 Lark. Someone was nice enough to paint over the name plate and the only thing available are the numbers 8855. My question is, "What rearend ratio would that car have had for that year?" Thanks, Chet

Typically the rear axle ratio for a V-8 sedan with automatic would be 3.31. Earlier, like 1960, Studebaker was putting 3.08 rears in the 259 automatic cars, but before that and after that, 3.31 was the most common.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Most likely a 3.31 or 3.07.

Comment

Thanks. My 62 Hawk TT has the 3.31. I replaced the 289 4 spd with the 259 and automatic I had in standby after the 289 was supposedly rebuilt by the car's previous owner (couldn't get over 10lbs oil pressure). Bud I finally solved my gas gauge problem...gas tank had inadequate grounding.

Comment

Originally posted by chet445 View Post
          Thanks. My 62 Hawk TT has the 3.31. I replaced the 289 4 spd with the 259 and automatic I had in standby after the 289 was supposedly rebuilt by the car's previous owner (couldn't get over 10lbs oil pressure). Bud I finally solved my gas gauge problem...gas tank had inadequate grounding.
          I bet you will like the 259/FOM setup, and it will have no problem pulling the 3.31, or even 3.07. The 259 generally gets 1-2 MPG more than the 289.
          Enjoy!

Comment

Honestly, I prefer the 259. I have it in my '52 2R5 and it is a workhorse of an engine.

Comment

Originally posted by chet445 View Post
              Honestly, I prefer the 259. I have it in my '52 2R5 and it is a workhorse of an engine.
              Getting way OT, as is our wont here, but this deserves a thread of its own. Each versions of the Studebaker V8 has strengths and weaknesses.

jack vines
              PackardV8

Comment

Working...
              X