Avanti rear spring replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frame / Springs: Avanti rear spring replacement

Can a 1964 Wagonaire rear spring be used under a 1963 R2 Avanti? I know the part numbers are different but will the spring physically fit? What is the difference? Thanks...

I tried using 'search' but could not find a relevant thread.

I'd have to recheck, but I believe the wagon and Avanti, while sharing much of the chassis, have different wheelbases. That would mean the spring may actually fit between the hangers, but the locating pin may be in a different spot and leaf lengths in front of it and behind it may be different, moving the axle forward or back from where it needs to be. You can always hold it up next to it, should be easy to see.

Comment

If you check the part number for the main leaf only, you will find that the Avanti HD leaf - 1548771 - also fits some later Lark models - station wagon and police cars. Thus with the main leaf being the same, the whole spring assembly should indeed "bolt on" to an Avanti. It is interesting to see how many different part numbers of main leafs are listed for later Larks. The overall length and the center bolt location would have to be the same - just subtle differences in spring rate.

Comment

Since the main leaf locates the axle this is indeed good news. I have a set of wagon springs in good shape so I will now start looking at using them as replacements for my seriously bowed Avanti springs...

Comment

Thanks, Guys. The springs are done and now to go for the install. Since I will be doing it myself this may take a bit but I will let you know how it goes.

Comment

So I pulled one spring off and started the install of the reconditioned wagon spring. Here is where the snag starts.

It seems the locator pin is 1/4 inch forward of the Avanti pin. This was not noticed when I measured the springs as the Avanti spring is almost flat and the wagon spring actually has an arch. I would have expected to easily make that up but the radius rod won't let the axle shift that amount and the other spring won't let the axle roll to the new pin orientation. I am considering loosening the other spring from the axle and hoping this will let the axle roll that slight amount to allow the pin to locate the axle.

I suppose I should have pulled both springs and then installed the new ones together. Unfortunately working on a drive-on hoist does not allow for an easy and secure platform for removing both springs at the same time.

Later.

Comment

Drill the locating hole on the rear axle pad to accommodate the difference.
              Bez Auto Alchemy
              573-318-8948
              http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

I'm confused as to why there should be a difference in length or bolt location.

jack vines
                PackardV8

Comment

The wagon spring has about 4" more true arch than the Avanti's.

Comment

Ok, all is well in my world. When I pressed 'post' I realized what I had just said and after a satisfying supper (I didn't really want to go back out to the garage) I knew all I had to do was re-arrange my bottle jacks and get my bridge under the front of the differential. A bit of a lift at the front of the diff gave me enough rotation that the pin lined up exact and all I needed to do was exercise my arms and get those extra long u-bolts tightened up.

The passenger side can wait. Since this is a secure phone I can't access my pics at this time but maybe later.

Comment

I guess the answer to the question... "can wagon springs be used under an Avanti" (not a real quote) is YES... side one on mine is done and it has lifted the back end a true 2 inches. I used
                      the lower hole since it was the drivers side. The passengers side spring will go in the upper hole. Unless, of course, there is a compelling reason not to use it...

Comment

Update: Springs are complete and they raised the car by no less than 4 inches. It actually no longer fits on the hoist on the safety latch setting that I was using when I parked my other car under it. This should be temporary as I expect it to settle a bit once I get it on the road. I suppose I didn't need the extra leaf in the wagon spring pack. I will also move the front mounts to the upper hole and that should lower it to about the right stance for what I am looking for.

Also I found when I went to install the shocks that they were at full extension when the car was settled on the springs so I might have to consider short extenders for them. This is surprising as these are the same shocks I had on my hotrod '66 Cruiser and they have been on this Avanti for the last 3 years. I guess it should all work out once I get the car running and back on the road.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170419_213445.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	1713397Another update...Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170326_170905.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	1713398

After loading 285lbs of lead in the trunk and driving for some time I found the springs did NOT settle very much at all so I had the original springs rebuilt with an extra leaf installed with the SAME curve as the spring pack. After installing in the upper mount hole this rig has set the car up about 1 inch higher than when I got it and it handles way better. It also looks nicely matched to the CC655 front springs that I installed a while back. The pic on the right has the wagon springs with the lead still on board. They would probably work great on a camperized Wagonaire!

I guess this answers my original question... Will it work? Yes. Will it work right? Not so much!

Comment

Very interesting thread!

Comment

another update...
                              I had it out on Saturday, one day ago, and it felt funny in the rear suspension so I changed out the Camaro coil-over shocks with new gas shocks and it was stable as the day it came off the line (or so close) at a buck twenty five and climbing I backed out with a big smile on my face...

Comment

Working...
                              X