Moog CC655 coil springs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 55 56 PREZ 4D View Post
    They came in. Precision sticker over a sticker. No brand name on the instructions.
    I wonder if Precision will continue to manufacture the springs. Just a name change for Moog.
    Mine were here when we got back yesterday from Phoenix. Same thing, Precision sticker over a Moog sticker. This set may go on my '64 GT full package car prior to going to South Bend next year, but I want to see how the '62 GT does with them first.
    Last edited by r1lark; 10-01-2016, 06:30 PM.
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
    Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

I purchased two sets for both my cars last year.
      Ride height and ride quality is good.
      Glad I bought them when I did.
      Purchased through mom and pop auto store.
      sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
      Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
      "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Originally posted by r1lark View Post
        This set may go on my '84 GT full package car prior to going to South Bend next year,
        I was wondering if I could see a picture, or at least a full description, of this car. Is it an Avanti? - - I couldn't resist.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
          I was wondering if I could see a picture, or at least a full description, of this car. Is it an Avanti? - - I couldn't resist.
          Sorry to disappoint you Gary, it was just fat fingers typing on a small phone screen. But I heard they kept building Studebakers in Canada until a few years ago so there might have been some GT Hawks built that year.
          Paul
          Winston-Salem, NC
          Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
          Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Originally posted by jpepper View Post
            As some of you may know, the cargo coils that I have been recommending for over 20 years for the front of V8 Studebakers have now been discontinued. Moog used up the inventory and will not be reproducing them any longer. Their original application was for 86 - 93 front drive GM cars in the rear.
            I made some calls and found a few sets. Rare Parts 1-800-621-2005 has two sets left in stock. They are a different brand but the same spring.
            CC653 was intended for a little heavier GM car and it would work in Studebaker applications with high front weight. CC661 is a similar coil but a little shorter. It may need a spacer on top available from SI to work. If you find a retailer with dusty inventory, they still may have some CC655's out there.

Good luck searching

Jim
            Summit still had stock 12 months ago.

Comment

If you google the form number on installation instructions inside the box with the springs, it comes up as a Moog copyright form.
              Mike Kelly
              Regional Manager
              Texas
              1963 Lark Cruiser
              1962 GT Hawk
              1965 Commander 2dr v8 auto

Comment

I just ordered a set from my local parts house. Overnighted from another warehouse. $70 my cost
                1 Family owned 63 Studebaker Avanti 63r-1705 White with Orange interior , R2 4 speed.
                Just purchased 63r-3623 R2 was a auto now dressed to a R3 with a4speed.

Comment

So Moog stops "making" the spring.
                  Precision [probably somehow directly tied to Moog] starts "making" it.
                  Nothing changed but the name on the spring.
                  South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

Moog made them all. I have bought 3 sets over the past 3 or 4 years, from 3 different stores. They all came in a box with the address of a warehouse in Kentucky.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan View Post
                      Moog made them all. I have bought 3 sets over the past 3 or 4 years, from 3 different stores. They all came in a box with the address of a warehouse in Kentucky.
                      Yes. 3 or 4 years ago.
                      Per jpepper in the original post, "Moog used up the original inventory and will not be reproducing them any longer."
                      According to several store sites and the Moog site, http://www.moog-suspension-parts.com/moog-cc655.
                      "Discontinued by Moog."
                      South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

Originally posted by 55 56 PREZ 4D View Post
                        They came in. Precision sticker over a sticker. No brand name on the instructions.
                        I wonder if Precision will continue to manufacture the springs. Just a name change for Moog.
                        I stopped by a O'Reilly's today and had them look up the Moog CC655 spring. They crossed it to the number that has been cited here SP 08055. However the photo that appeared on the screen did not look like the CC655's I bought several years ago, as they were not wound tighter at the top of the spring. Also, O'Reilly's listing did not list this spring, SP 08055, as being a variable rate spring. I placed the order, should arrive in a couple of days.
                        So, those of you that have ordered these springs from O'Reilly's and received them..........are they in fact Variable Rate Springs, wound tighter at the top?
                        Thanks
                        John

Comment

Yes, SP08055 is a variable rate spring.
                          South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

Thanks for confirming.
                            John

Comment

I just stopped by my local Oreillys auto part.
                              Checked on the availability of the MOOG CC655 spring.
                              Yes Moog did discontinue the spring.
                              No that doesn't mean they are not available.
                              Precision Springs out of El Monte, Ca makes them. [as well as any number of other manufacturers I would suppose]
                              PRE SP08055 is the part number.
                              Cost : $99.99.
                              2 day delivery [they would be here by Tuesday because of the weekend]
                              Just because Moog stopped stocking them does not mean they are not available.
                              South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

Moog CC655 type Coil Springs

I know a LOT of you have installed these replacement springs, and some of you quite a few, so my Son is doing a set and is unsure of the best way to do that on a '61 Lark HT Frame.

We have the SPO8055 Precision Springs, and it appears from the posts here that the Close Coils do install up at the top, but that puts the ROUND End of the Spring DOWN and the Flattened End UP. The Upper end on this set does have the rubber "Wrap" on the close Coils.

But I have a question: Does the absolute END of the Bottom rounded Coil point Straight at the Engine or a bit Forward or Back or what?

I have to wonder how well it will work with that Round end on the "A" Arm without a "Seat" to lock into as was probably the case on GM Cars?

As you all know, Studebaker Springs are flattened and Level on BOTH Ends.

Will they be OK without the Rubber insulators?
                                Last edited by StudeRich; 03-14-2019, 07:38 PM.
                                StudeRich
                                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                                X