No announcement yet.

Engine Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SBC with four speed automatic. You can't get performance any cheaper and the motor mounts are available from Stude parts dealers as Studebaker installed them in 65/66. It will take weight off the front end and handle better. Don't fool with trying to adapt to the original trans just upgrade to an overdrive automatic 700/200 type. You then have a driveable setup that you can build to any power level you want and don't need to wire a computer.

If you want to go all the way with a computer system, Find a newer LS/auto setup. Motor mount adapters are cheap that will adapt this engine to the OEM Stude/Chevy mounts. In any case there will be some mods to the rear trans mount crossmember but they are minor.

The trans tunnel may need a smack or two but there nothing easier to swap than the Chevy small block.

Bob

Comment

Is your Lark Wagon a I6 or V8? If it is a V8 there are a number of things you can do to pep it up if it does not have enough juice for you and these changes are pretty cheap compared with an engine swap. Going from a 2bbl carb to 4bbl will be one change. I also see you have "researched and found the car was low on power and does not handle well at highway speeds" I would first drive the car and see what you find. I am not sure where you read that or who told you those "facts". Also the handling is more of a suspension thing than engine, but research is not going to tell you that either.
      Dan White
      64 R1 GT
      64 R2 GT
      58 C Cab
      57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

Hi Ross (romwhite), welcome to the SDC and to the SDC forum!

The Studebaker V8's never have any problem with higher speeds, Avantis with a Stude. V8 have exceeded 160 MPH at Bonneville.

If you happen to have a OHV 170 c.i.d. Stude. SIX in a Heavy wagonaire sliding roof wagon, you would be happier installing a 259 or 289 V8.

If you already have a V8, the proper Diff. gearing is important with a Heavy Wagon depending on YOUR type of driving and Terrain, that can be improved or even a Trans. change to Overdrive.
        Last edited by StudeRich; 08-08-2019, 01:22 PM.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I had a nice low miles 64 cruiser. I put new tiger paws, monroe hd gas shocks on it and it became a very nice cruising car. The 289 is very torquey but will rev up too. I found it to be the original sport sedan. The only thing that let it down really was the the slow steering.
          Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Hemi with 2 jimmy blowers.
            Dare you...

Comment

It's been three years since the OP last visited. I wonder how badly the car was molested and if he still has it.
              RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
              4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
              5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
                It's been three years since the OP last visited. I wonder how badly the car was molested and if he still has it.
                Roy

The discussion is directed at the poster in item #28. 8/6/19. Bob

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
                  I wonder how many (including myself) missed the fact that the OP was 3 years old? It seems a bit peculiar that someone (another individual) would revive a 3 year old post rather than start afresh.

I don't know if I have more concern for the car or the new, potential owner when they ask questions that are void of the foundational aspects pertinent to answering their question. Typically the "reason" for a modification is not stated. So, we know little to nothing about the car or the purpose for change. It makes it hard to give any answer and the answers can be rather varied even when we know the pertinent information. Maybe I've just spent too much of my life around cars and thus think everyone should know the obvious. No disrespect to the question being asked. I'm only stating that without the understanding of the relevant information that should have been posted there is a L-O-N-G way to go to grasp what is being proposed.
                  Last edited by wittsend; 08-08-2019, 08:30 PM.
                  '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

Originally posted by wittsend View Post
                    It seems a bit peculiar that someone (another individual) would revive a 3 year old post rather than start afresh.
                    Possibly due to the fact it was his first post and he was not comfortable with the structure of the forum. Bob

Comment

Oh well. It never hurts to discuss a subject even if it is an old thread, imho.
                      Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Working...
                      X