Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any brand x rear sway bars fit a 62 Hawks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by candbstudebakers View Post
    I have a rusty one here in the shop, I think it is early but do not have all the pieces, I just sold a 55 4 door president state and it has one on it, I think the new owner will be putting it on his speedster, I will be delivering the car to the Placerville area on Thur. car is going to be used for parts needed for the speedster engine, trans, wheels, brakes and drums, flat windshield that is about all that will fit besides door handles ect. the rusty bar set up is for sale if interested.

The flat w/s from a 55 sedan will NOT fit a C/K car...FYI

KURTRUK
    (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Len, are you going to have your car at La Palma this may? If so, I'd like to see your brackets for the front sway bar.
      59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
      60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
      61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
      62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
      62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
      62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
      63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
      63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
      64 Zip Van
      66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
      66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Its U-Pull-It here. Sounds suggestive. Its half off everything on Wednesday I'll be there surfin' the Camaros. Ya just gotta love this forum you can discover many new things if you just ask savin' yerself lots of grief.

Comment

Originally posted by Warren Webb View Post
          Len, are you going to have your car at La Palma this may? If so, I'd like to see your brackets for the front sway bar.
          Hey Warren,

I have tried to have it there for the last two years and just have not had time to finish it. I'm still a few months away even if I worked every chance I get. It's nothing major just the engine to assembly and many small things but I get caught up in the details.

I hope to at least have it done by summer.

Len

Comment

Originally posted by Skybolt View Post
            Similar bars to mine.
            Unfortunately I just checked and I have the 18mm bar. But, with the stock 3/4" (measured about .760) front bar it is probably a better match. I've got 225-60-16" tires on Crown Vic wheels. They seem to dictate more than anything how the car "handles." The car just seems stiff, vague and little reassurance how it is handling. My car sits high too. A 350 Chevy and a 700R4 took about 200 pounds off the front of the car.

I have a '73 Valiant that I lowered the front 4 turns on the torsion bars, 1" lowering blocks in the back. A stock E body sway bar was adapted to the front and a Diplomat cop car bar to the rear. 215-60-15" on Mopar cop car wheels and it handles like a Go-Kart. Be nice to get the Daytona closer to that.
            '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

Len,
              How about some pictures of the rear bar installation.

Comment

Originally posted by 5brown1 View Post
                Len,
                How about some pictures of the rear bar installation.
                Hopefully you will be able to get to the link. https://plus.google.com/photos/11667...705?banner=pwa

These are of the rear bar with the ends made parallel and before and after installation. As I didn't know how it would all fit and handle I made some mounts that would bolt on. I'm happy with the front and rear bars so more permanent mounts are to come.

The 170 Champion engine is no longer in the car and a 63 V8 is going in. The 44 is replacing the 27 and I will change the mounting location. The bar will go either way, facing the front or rear and I have put it up against the frame before the axle and it will fit also. I have to wait until all the fuel system and exhaust is in place for final fitment.

I will make a better mount for the bar to frame but I have to wait until final location is determined because of so many changes under the car.

To save a further question, the rear shocks came with the coil over helpers. They are a HD option for a Plymouth Fury police car. These came about because of the 235/65/15 tires and clearance problems as the car would bottom out with passengers in the rear seat. I have since added an extra leaf, delrin bushes and the sway bar so I might use different shocks once it's on the road again. I have not run it with all those mods at the same time.

Feel free to browse my other albums online. Some are my mods others are for my reference. If you look in the folder named "Jim's Parts" you will find a rear sway bar setup I used to have.

Len
                Last edited by Guest; 03-04-2015, 04:47 PM.

Comment

Like your setup.
                  I did one like that a while back and used a Jeep SUV rear bar.
                  Got the bolt on clamps axle tube off of Ford Ranger.
                  Think the yard charged me $25 for all the parts..

Originally posted by wittsend View Post
                  I also went with the 80's Camaro bar on my '64 Daytona. A bit of finessing to get installed, but cheap (under $20 from Pick A Part). I had more to say about it here (scroll down near the bottom):
                  http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ay+bar+daytona
                  HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Putting the bar on the axle must not add enough unsprung weight to matter, because most all the manufacturers have done it there in recent years. However, I do remember in the distant past a recommendation the bar be attached to the frame and the links going down to the spring pads, just the way the Stude engineers did it.

jack
                    PackardV8

Comment

Anyone here use a 80-96 Bronco rear sway bar? I read a post somewhere in my searching about them being almost a bolt on for most cars. Pictures look promising.

Comment

Originally posted by 5brown1 View Post
                        Anyone here use a 80-96 Bronco rear sway bar? I read a post somewhere in my searching about them being almost a bolt on for most cars. Pictures look promising.
                        One of the issues I found with the Camaro bar was the half loop that goes over the differential makes a rather large arc when it moves from full up to full down. This looks like a possible potential problem with the Bronco bar as well. I'd have rather had the end bolts more vertical but if I recall correctly it caused the loop to hit the gas tank. On the other side, if I moved the end links down to get the loop away from the tank they had greater potential to hit the leaf springs (and function at a greater angle to the axle movement). In the end the bar placement wound up as a "best compromise." And to me the compromise was too far rearward at the axle tube and too far downward at the link end. Both were "give/take" actions. also, remember to do this with the axle loaded as that is the position it will be in when driving. If you set it with the axle dropped it will move significantly once the car is back on the ground.
                        '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

What's the Jeep SUV rear sway bar look like?

I picked up a rear bar from a S10 to use on my champ and I will use a couple of arms from a 80s vintage Ranger to bolt up to the frame.
                          \"I\'m getting nowhere as fast as I can\"
                          The Replacements.

Comment

Looking at the previous picture and the one I included here,I do not think the arc will get anywhere near the tank, provided the links are the appropriate length. Link mounts will have to be fabricated. I measured the distance between frame rails on the Studebaker at 30" and found some information leading me to believe the distance between the Ford frame rails is about 31.5".
                            I am including a picture of my frame with the gas tank installed. I do know I would need to get different mufflers, darn.
                            Attached Files

Comment

I have a Jeep bar here that if my memory is correct, is from a mid to late 90's Grand Cherokee. It's 36" center to center on the end links. This Jeep also had the Dana 44 rear. The Studebaker frame measures the same 36" from the outer sides of the "top hat" so from initial appearances this would work easily for our applications.
                              59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                              60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                              61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                              62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                              62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                              62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                              63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                              63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                              64 Zip Van
                              66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                              66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Back around 1990, I installed a rear bar in the 62GT from a late 60s-early 70s Mopar, Baracuda or something similar. It is still under the car and has always done its job well. Back then, I just went to the junk yard and looked for something with potential, but today it may be worth more to the Mopar folks than it was back then

Comment

Working...
                                X