1960 radio install questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interior: 1960 radio install questions

I did a search for 1960 radio and didn't see answers for my questions. I have the radio that came with the car, and I want to reinstall it in the dash even if it doesn't work.

I don't see a bracket on the chassis parts catalog illustrated to hold this beastie in. I have the faceplate, both nuts for the stems, the 2 bent pieces behind the faceplate and the angled black metal bracket below the radio going from the front of the dash to the firewall, but I didn't get any sort of additional bracket to support and secure the radio. I also cannot see where any side support for the radio would attach above this radio into the dash.
    Is the bolt stub projecting from the right side of the radio what holds the radio up and in place?

Also, I have the tone marked dial behind one knob. Which knob did this fit behind and which other knob do I need to obtain? Is the dummy knob listed in the catalog the one I'm missing?

I see a holding bracket illustrated on the 1962 model, in the body parts catalog, but nothing similar for the view of the 1960 radio.

Thank you.

I just removed the one from my '61. It had a support bracket attached to the left side of the radio that attached to support bar that runs under the dash. L-shaped about 4 inches long.

Comment

Thank you.

So, it attached to a hole drilled in that support bar, the bar that goes from the firewall to the front of the dash, just above the glove box, on the left side of the glove box. Is that correct?

I don't have any holes in that support bracket, and my attachment post is on the right side, but I could still fashion a piece of metal to go from that post, under the radio and then attach it to that support post. Is your car an early '61 or late '61?

I hope someone who's done this often chimes in, I just don't see any obvious place for a support bracket to attach onto or into somewhere inside my dash, and I have stuff out of the way to be able to see around pretty well under there. I don't mind doing a makeshift repair, I'd rather attach it as it was intended if I can.

Comment

I took the entire dash out of one of my parts cars earlier this week & remember a small bracket that came down from the upper portion of the dash around the base of the windshield area. I can look at it tomorrow & give a better description.
        59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
        60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
        61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
        62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
        62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
        62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
        63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
        63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
        64 Zip Van
        66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
        66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Leo, the radio brackets for a 1960 Lark are different to later model Larks, as is the entire dash.

The 1959-60 Lark models have a wide 'U' shaped bracket that goes between the radio and the dash on each shaft. The support brackets used on 1962-66 models are completely different to the early Lark.

If you don't have the correct brackets, I can give you a part number or find a photo. They are not hard to find.

The chrome bezels that go behind your radio knobs can only go one way as the holes in the center are of different sizes. The 'tone' bezel will have a larger hole because the shaft it pushes onto has a thicker section that activates the tone selection.

Chris.

Comment

Warren, it sounds to me like you're describing the one brace I do have, but it's not connected to the radio.

Chris, yes please, I would appreciate knowing what piece that is and, at least from your general description, that describes what sort of likely piece I'd need to have, based on what I've been peering at today. It's a shame it's not illustrated in the Body Parts catalog. At least not in the one that's copied on the CD.
            I went out and found where that Tone control fits onto the Volume stem. The hole in the faceplate with the extra opening in it goes on that side of the radio correct? Do you know that that extra opening behind the Tone knob is supposed to be for?
            The faceplate clearly is decorative and doesn't hold onto anything, as far as supporting the weight of the radio, I can tell. I'll have to see how that bracket attaches when I see a photo.

Leo

Comment

paging "RadioRoy" you may want to PM him.

i'd probably just make sure it was secure and grounded. if you're going to be "judged", i don't think they will be checking under the dash...
              Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

I did send a message to Roy, but apparently, he has a life this weekend and hasn't checked his SDC forum account so far.
                As far as grounding and such, right now, I'm just trying to install it for the appearance. It's non-op and I have had a delete plate in, but I was in there today replacing that right wiper arm clip and got a bug up my bum and thought about re-installing the radio, even if it doesn't work. It's just a more attractive deleted radio shape this way.
                The PO had included the radio though I knew it didn't work. I've got to get new tires and rims, and I want to attack the 3 fender and rear tail rust bubbles next, then get it repainted as a goal for the year. I've driven it 2 years without tunes, no problem going for another 2 years. Frankly, I think people should do that just for an exercise in altered perception while driving. It is different driving without a radio, not saying better or worse, but different.
                Enough fun writing about working on cars, I need to get back out and start taking staples out of an old door panel so I can restaple it to new weatherboard. Wheeee. I can NOT imagine why typing is more fun than that....

Comment

I'm searching a radio that fits and looks original but has all the modern features. I want to use the original Studebaker face plate the sits over the dial. This is in a Hawk.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael J Hawk View Post
                    I'm searching a radio that fits and looks original but has all the modern features. I want to use the original Studebaker face plate the sits over the dial. This is in a Hawk.
                    What model Hawk?

Chris.

Comment

Leo and others:
                      The radio needs to be supported in the rear or the side by whatever bracket/hardware is correct for the car. If the radio is only mounted by the nuts around the knobs, the radio will flop and tear up the bezel. Some radios have a stud on them and some have a captive nut for a bolt, probably a 1/4-20 or something like that. If there is a captive nut in the radio case, the bolt/screw must not be too long as it penetrates the radio.

Michael J Hawk, such a thing exists, but the price makes most CASO's clutch their heart like Redd Fox on Stanford and Son.

Last edited by RadioRoy; 02-07-2015, 09:38 PM.
                      RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                      4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                      5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Not all radios had a support bracket, we discovered this when fitting a factory radio to a 1960 Hawk, nothing is listed in the parts book for that model with a non-signal seeking radio. I dont have the book handy right now but on some models the weight of the radio is supported entirely by the threads. This will have a lot to do with the construction of the dash and weight of a particular radio. The radio bezels (where applicable) should not be under load if the original steel/fiberglass of the dash opening is still intact. Always check the Body Parts catalog!

Chris.

Comment

I would hate to think what an unsupported radio in a Hawk with it's fiberglass dash would do.
                          59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                          60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                          61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                          62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                          62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                          62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                          63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                          63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                          64 Zip Van
                          66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                          66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

You do have to look in the Body Parts Catalog under Accessories, for the mounting hardware, so far no one has said they have been there. They all have to have a support bracket or fastener to the top of the Dash near the firewall.
                            StudeRich
                            Second Generation Stude Driver,
                            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

All right, I misstated where I looked, but since I DID look in all THREE of the catalogs on the CD yesterday, in the course of searching for radio parts, interior door parts, interior door panel trim, and bumper body parts, I misstated. Page 44 of the Body parts catalog, Plate AC-19, the upper half of the illustration states 59-60 models but shows no brackets supporting the unit. Apparently, what I am looking for are 2 brackets listed on page 47 AC12-23, #1332769

Originally posted by LeoH View Post
                              I did a search for 1960 radio and didn't see answers for my questions. I have the radio that came with the car, and I want to reinstall it in the dash even if it doesn't work.

I don't see a bracket on the chassis parts catalog illustrated to hold this beastie in. I have the faceplate, both nuts for the stems, the 2 bent pieces behind the faceplate and the angled black metal bracket below the radio going from the front of the dash to the firewall, but I didn't get any sort of additional bracket to support and secure the radio. I also cannot see where any side support for the radio would attach above this radio into the dash.
                              Is the bolt stub projecting from the right side of the radio what holds the radio up and in place?

Thank you.

Comment

Working...
                              X