Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are 53 and 54 C/K front bumpers the same?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are 53 and 54 C/K front bumpers the same?

Did the 53 C/K and 54 C/K models use the same front bumper? Thanks

Yes, the only difference I can imagine would be the position of holes for the front bumper guards.

Chris.

Comment

Small short guards on '53 and wider, taller, flatter ones on '54, but I think they go in the same holes. There could be extra holes if the Car had the optional Fog Light Bumperettes though.

The taller bumpers were used on all '55 Models and C & K Models from '55 to '64.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

As are the sedan and wagon bumpers the same as the C-K models.
        The different one is the 55 front.
        I currently have a known C bumper on one of my wagons. Fits like the original, but better chrome...

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Van Veghten View Post
          As are the sedan and wagon bumpers the same as the C-K models.
          The different one is the 55 front.
          I currently have a known C bumper on one of my wagons. Fits like the original, but better chrome...Mike
          I think the Mounting Bracket length may be the only difference.
          StudeRich
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

They are the same.

Removed a 54C front bumper from a JY car with the taller guards and used it on my 53K with the smaller guards. Didn't need to drill or weld up any holes. The only work I did was to weld and grind some pitting on the back side before I sent it to be replated.

Jeff in ND

Comment

For clarification, are we saying that all 53 and 54 front bumpers are the same regardless of body style? Thanks

Comment

That took about 90 seconds to find out that the Part number is different for '53 vs '54 because of the Guards, but ALL Models ARE the same.

Interesting though, that Canadian '54's get U.S.A. '53 Bumpers! And that is because all Canadian '54 models get '53 U.S.A. Sedan Vertical Guards 532032W & 033W. These are the ones that very closely resemble the '62 to '66 Lark tall narrow shape.
                Not the low little Guards that U.S.A. '53 C & K's got.

Wow, it's a good thing we rarely ever get a Canadian built Car at any International Meet judging, what a nightmare!
                Last edited by StudeRich; 02-01-2015, 09:04 PM.
                StudeRich
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Since we're talking bumpers here, I have a '54 Conestoga wagon and I need a rear bumper for it...Were wagon rear bumpers different ?

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                    That took about 90 seconds to find out that the Part number is different for '53 vs '54 because of the Guards, but ALL Models ARE the same.

Interesting though, that Canadian '54's get U.S.A. '53 Bumpers! And that is because all Canadian '54 models get '53 U.S.A. Sedan Vertical Guards 532032W & 033W. These are the ones that very closely resemble the '62 to '66 Lark tall narrow shape.
                    Not the low little Guards that U.S.A. '53 C & K's got.

Wow, it's a good thing we rarely ever get a Canadian built Car at any International Meet judging, what a nightmare!
                    Someone from Canada, probably Craig, recently said that the 1954 Canadian C/K models continued to use the small 1953 style bumper guards.
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Studebaker of Canada Bumper and Guard Mystery

Ok based on that, I thought maybe I was wrong about the 532032 & 033 being the tall thin Guards used on '53 Sedans, since the Chassis Parts Catalog does not show a Pic, so I checked the S.I. Catalog knowing they have piles of the tall Sedan type that no one needs and I have a Pair, so if their P/N is the same I am correct, and it IS. So those '54 Canadian C & K's with the short '53's do not match the Parts Catalog.

So: Craig is wrong? (not often!)

Studebaker of Canada is wrong for not following "the Plan"?

Too many Cars have been restored wrong, making Craig think they are correct? (Yes the short ones look better on coupes.)

The Chassis Parts Catalog is wrong... not likely!
                      I don't know!
                      StudeRich
                      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by fstst56 View Post
                        Since we're talking bumpers here, I have a '54 Conestoga wagon and I need a rear bumper for it...Were wagon rear bumpers different ?
                        OK, you made me look! Am I the ONLY one on the forum with a Book or CD of the Studebaker Parts Catalogs?

The 532088W Rear Bumper fits all '53 and '54 Sedans (14G, 15G, 4H, 5H-W, F & Y) AND '54, '55 and '56 Wagons (D Body).

No C or K's, though they COULD interchange with Mods.

This should give you a LARGE selection of Parts Cars to get one from.
                        Too bad you do not live near Studeclunker, I know where you could "find" one!
                        StudeRich
                        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Rear bumpers are completely different between sedans & C/K. Sedan fronts are very similar but have less of a "V" shape and are a bit wider- so close that they are very easy to confuse.

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                          OK, you made me look! Am I the ONLY one on the forum with a Book or CD of the Studebaker Parts Catalogs?

The 532088W Rear Bumper fits all '53 and '54 Sedans (14G, 15G, 4H, 5H-W, F & Y) AND '54, '55 and '56 Wagons (D Body).

No C or K's, though they COULD interchange with Mods.

This should give you a LARGE selection of Parts Cars to get one from.
                          Too bad you do not live near Studeclunker, I know where you could "find" one!
                          Last edited by TX Rebel; 02-02-2015, 06:47 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the rear bumper info !

Comment

And, I think we also established that 53-54 C/K and sedan front bumpers are different.

Comment

Working...
                              X