Barbara Jean ("The Lovely Daytona") McPhearson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barbara Jean ("The Lovely Daytona") McPhearson

Our friend Dale "Lark Parker" McPhearson said it was OK to post the obituary of his dear wife Barbara, who passed away a week ago today:

Barbara Jean Thomas McPhearson, 74, a resident of Frankfort, passed away at 6:51 p.m. Tuesday,...

Barbara was a Past President of our Indy Chapter SDC and a regular competitor at The Newport Indiana Antique Auto Hill Climb, in her turquoise and black 1955 Commander DeLuxe coupe. If you take the time to watch the video within the obituary, you'll see many Studebakers and Studebaker references. You may also post condolences to the Goodwin Funeral Home website.

Many of you know Barb as "The Lovely Daytona" from Dale's adventurous writings about Studebaker's dual-personality, Walter Mitty sleuth Lark Parker. Barbara was also a member of Daughters of The American Revolution [DAR].

Barb's funeral was Sunday, June 15. It was attended by dozens of local SDC friends. Indy Chapter SDC Member, Pastor Greg McGarvey, performed the funeral service. Goodwin Funeral Home in Frankfort handled the arrangements and the funeral was held there.

Goodwin freshened up their beautiful, mostly original, 1940 LaSalle Hearse with what we believe is an A. J. Miller body, for the occasion. It performed flawlessly, providing the necessary transportation from Goodwin Funeral Home in downtown Frankfort to Green Lawn Memorial Park on the south side of Frankfort on Indiana State Road 39. Another reason to like Small Town America: Everyone pulled over and stopped in the oncoming lane until the procession passed by.

A favorite photo of five fine friends at the 1992 Studebaker Drivers Club International Meet in Nashville TN. Barbara McPhearson is closest to the camera, in front of Dale:

RIP, Barb...and all our love and all our best, Dale. BP
    Last edited by BobPalma; 06-17-2014, 06:24 PM. Reason: Added Photo
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Thanks for informing us Bob. My condolences and prayers for Dale and family.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

There are no words.

I'm so sorry, Dale.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Dale, my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. I always enjoyed chatting with Barb at the South Bend swap meet. She was really somethin'.

Comment

Condolences from the Aussie and Kiwi members.
          John Clements
          Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Thanks for posting Bob. Very appropriate. Lark and Daytona were a permanent fixture in the Indy Chapter and the Studebaker Club in general. I hope this is ok to post but we lost Chuck Kern's wife, Linda about 10 days before losing Barb. These are the people you love to have as friends and really hurts to lose them.

Ted & Mary Ann

Comment

Sorry to hear the sad news Dale. It will change your life. It has been just a year since I lost my Jan.

Denny Lockmon

Comment

Thank you Bob, for posting this. It was quite a sight seeing those beautiful Studebakers and the 1940 La Salle hearse in the procession going out to the cemetary. I was so glad everyone made it back down from the drags and came to the services. Thank you to everyone that came on Sunday. I know it was Father's Day and families had other things to do. It meant a lot to my dad and our entire family. We can never say it enough, we love all of you. Thanks again, Barry McPhearson

Comment

Deepest condolences, Dale. You are in my thoughts & prayers.

Comment

Originally posted by Son O Lark View Post
                    Thank you Bob, for posting this. It was quite a sight seeing those beautiful Studebakers and the 1940 La Salle hearse in the procession going out to the cemetery. I was so glad everyone made it back down from the drags and came to the services. Thank you to everyone that came on Sunday. I know it was Father's Day and families had other things to do. It meant a lot to my dad and our entire family. We can never say it enough, we love all of you. Thanks again, Barry McPhearson
                    You're welcome, Barry; very much "our pleasure," as you know.

We wouldn't have missed it for anything...even Martin, as your Dad knew!

All the best. BP
                    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

We are losing too many of our valuable members. What can I say except "Condolences". Dale, you have been through way too much these last few years.
                      Duane Miller

Comment

Working...
                      X