X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

300 degrees duration and .505" lift.

Comment

Very cool stuff! Thanks for sharing.

Note that Floyd's letter of December 12, 1963, mentions the optional factory cam kits...well, I guess they did come from a factory, even if it wasn't Studebaker's! BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
        Very cool stuff! Thanks for sharing.

Note that Floyd's letter of December 12, 1963, mentions the optional factory cam kits...well, I guess they did come from a factory, even if it wasn't Studebaker's! BP
        Maybe it was obtained via the Paxton Division, and shipped directly to Tanner Motors?
        Paul
        Winston-Salem, NC
        Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
        Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

I've seen some people post build sheets for their cars. How does one go about getting the build sheet?

Comment

Originally posted by SScopelli View Post
            I've seen some people post build sheets for their cars. How does one go about getting the build sheet?
            From The Studebaker National Museum:

The Studebaker National Museum Online Store is the place to shop for all of your Studebaker related merchandise needs....

Send them the appropriate fee and the vehicle serial number and they will send you a copy of the Production Order (not the original document, of course). You don't have to own the vehicle, so it is useful if you are negotiating to buy a vehicle (car or truck) and you want to verify any seller claims as to originality or authenticity.

I might add that The Museum does not own these documents. They have them, but must "rent" the information from the rightful owners each time they sell it. Hence, the fee charged is not all profit, and is a good source of income for the museum. There still isn't a free lunch.... BP
            Last edited by BobPalma; 04-22-2013, 01:17 PM. Reason: added SNM link
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Hey John,

Having a hard time finding this post?

Here is a link to an old Hemming article about the Red Tomato that mentioned "The Whistler."

Comment

SScopelli thanks for the info.

Comment

Hay all what's the chances of the engine being found. Any one running it in there car?

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                    From The Studebaker National Museum:

The Studebaker National Museum Online Store is the place to shop for all of your Studebaker related merchandise needs....

Send them the appropriate fee and the vehicle serial number and they will send you a copy of the Production Order (not the original document, of course). You don't have to own the vehicle, so it is useful if you are negotiating to buy a vehicle (car or truck) and you want to verify any seller claims as to originality or authenticity.
                    Thanks to Bob for the information.. Well it was not 4 or 6 weeks, but real quick!

Here is the copy of the build sheet:

A real bare Bones car!

As noted in the Jet Thrust news the engine is JTS 1412..

Sort of what this picture has on it.. But this block is JTS I4I2!

Last edited by SScopelli; 07-28-2017, 01:13 PM.

Comment

Great post . Too Bad it can't come together sooner!

Comment

Originally posted by SScopelli View Post
                        As noted in the Jet Thrust news the engine is JTS 1412.. Sort of what this picture has on it.. But this block is JTS I4I2!
                        No question its a match. Remember, Studebaker used the Roman numeral 'I' in place of the Arabic number '1' in their serial numbers and engine numbers.

Craig

Comment

Yes the chances of me finding the engine was very lucky all luck. My friend Mike calls me the Lucky Whistler. It was found in a trunk at Chuck Nagels place under a bunch of steering wheels I saw the aluminum timing gear looking at me and so it was un covered turned it over and there it was. JTS I4I2. And so goes I also pick one up about 3 months ago from that he new he had it was JTS I404 no that's not it JTS I494 is the one. JTS I4I2 looks to be in good condition except its missing its main caps but I think there's a good chance of finding them to. From I see it lost a crank shaft from the looks of the bearings that are steal there just need to go to his engine parts trunk and match up the bearing marks hopefully there be there. Chuck had no idea that he had it or we're he got it from he thinks he must have made a deal on a bunch of cars. I ya the missing door hood and front nose and left finder are found to. But that's a nother story.

Comment

These cars do take time and money. My brother and I have 5 years into a 63 R2 Lark Custom along with a ton of money. We are just starting the put together process after getting the car back from the paint shop (super red). The only part I have not located is an n.o.s. 160 mph speedometer. I have the original and one used spare......but not an nos one.

Comment

Originally posted by studejohn View Post
                              Yes the chances of me finding the engine was very lucky all luck. My friend Mike calls me the Lucky Whistler. It was found in a trunk at Chuck Nagels place under a bunch of steering wheels I saw the aluminum timing gear looking at me and so it was un covered turned it over and there it was. JTS I4I2. And so goes I also pick one up about 3 months ago from that he new he had it was JTS I404 no that's not it JTS I494 is the one. JTS I4I2 looks to be in good condition except its missing its main caps but I think there's a good chance of finding them to. From I see it lost a crank shaft from the looks of the bearings that are steal there just need to go to his engine parts trunk and match up the bearing marks hopefully there be there. Chuck had no idea that he had it or we're he got it from he thinks he must have made a deal on a bunch of cars. I ya the missing door hood and front nose and left finder are found to. But that's a nother story.

StudeJohn, wow...I just picked myself up off the floor. I have been following this thread closely, as I have always considered the Whistler one of the most interesting Larks, history wise. Now, your message above has completely floored me. The other engine you found, JTS-1404, is the correct engine for my car!

Like the Whistler, my car (a R2, 4-speed Lark Custom 2-door) was built in November of '62, was originally shipped to Arizona, and eventually ended up at Chuck Naugle's. I have owned the car 15 years, and while I have talked to Chuck about it, I never had any luck finding the original block...finding out it is still in existence...wow, amazing - I am speechless!

Could you provide some detalis on JTS-1404? Please feel free to private message me if you wish. My Studebaker bank account is tapped out, but I would love to find out more about it, and keep track of it, as it would be great if I could someday re-connect it with the car it came with.

Thanks for the updates, and keep them coming!!!
                              Eric DeRosa

\'63 R2 Lark
                              \'60 Lark Convertible

Comment

Eric,

I've seen your car, and it does deserve its original engine back!!

Let's hope you get it in the end!

Craig

Comment

Working...
                                X