1962 Lark Indiana State Police cars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by studegary View Post
    The engine number is "P *". Is that an error or does it indicate a heavy duty 289?
    AFAIK, Gary; yes. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by relbmar16 View Post
      Great Photos! Thanks for sharing. I didn't realize the Marshals in 62 had reinforced roofs.
      Note that it was a separate option. It wouldn't have necessarily come with a reinforced roof if it was a "regular" HD Y3. BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

In addition to the no Twin Traction Dan Miller noted, what other option would you have expected this police car to have that it apparently did not? (Or if it had said option, it was not noted on the Build Order. ) BP

Comment

I'd like to see #152 "MANUAL HAND THROTTLE". Wonder if its a primitive attempt at cruise control.

Comment

one summer Sunday in 1962 returning fron an outing to Chicago, we passed a Studebaker State Police car on Route 2. He was driveing well below the speed limit. We were also driveing a 1959 Lark 6.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
              I'd like to see #152 "MANUAL HAND THROTTLE". Wonder if its a primitive attempt at cruise control.
              That it is, Joe; yank it out and leave it however fast you wanna' go! BP

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
                I am always amazed at what one can find on the internet.

I am going to guess the hand throttle was to keep the heater working well so your coffee did not get too cold as you sat behind a billboard...waiting... (I have an Uncle who just retired from fifty-one years in law enforcement - he says even people in the profession joke about sitting around in their patrol cars...)

Photo source: http://www.studeparts.com.au/index.html
                Last edited by 62champ; 01-09-2013, 02:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DieselJim View Post
                  one summer Sunday in 1962 returning fron an outing to Chicago, we passed a Studebaker State Police car on Route 2. He was driving well below the speed limit. We were also driving a 1959 Lark 6.
                  If you were driving a 1959 Lark 6, Jim, and you passed an Indiana State Trooper in one of those 1962 Pursuit Marshals, I think it goes without saying that "...he was driving well below the speed limit!" <GGG> BP

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                    In addition to the no Twin Traction Dan Miller noted, what other option would you have expected this police car to have that it apparently did not? (Or if it had said option, it was not noted on the Build Order. ) BP
                    Seat Belts???
                    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Originally posted by 62champ View Post

I am going to guess the hand throttle was to keep the heater working well so your coffee did not get too cold as you sat behind a billboard...waiting... (I have an Uncle who just retired from fifty-one years in law enforcement - he says even people in the profession jock about sitting around in their patrol cars...)

PAt, I appreciate you sharing this photo. I've got one of those oil pressure gages, and I always did wonder where it would've mounted.
                      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Originally posted by Roscomacaw View Post
                        Seat Belts???
                        Not what I was thinking of, Bob, but you're absolutely correct: We would have expected the car to have seat belts.

There's something else, too, that I'll bet it had but didn't "make" the PO. (It probably had seat belts, too, for that matter.) BP

Comment

Originally posted by 62champ View Post

I am going to guess the hand throttle was to keep the heater working well so your coffee did not get too cold as you sat behind a billboard...waiting... (I have an Uncle who just retired from fifty-one years in law enforcement - he says even people in the profession joke about sitting around in their patrol cars...)

Photo source: http://www.studeparts.com.au/index.html
                          Thanks, That looks very familiar. Its same as a M151 Military Jeep, only the Jeep's is "olive drab".

Comment

Dual horns but no dual exhaust?

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                              Dual horns but no dual exhaust?
                              BINGO on the dual exhaust. I mean: HD 289 engine with 4-bbl carb and HD Flightomatic but a single pipe? Nah.... BP

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                                How about the build sheet for the '61 Marshal in the bottom of this photo? http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ighlight=fleet

Think it has a 'fleet only' 4-speed??? Craig
                                Craig: I don't see any linked (or real) Build / Production Order at the bottom of that thread...or anywhere else in it.

Did I miss something? BP

Comment

Working...
                                X