Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'62 GT Convertible in San Francisco (PIC)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '62 GT Convertible in San Francisco (PIC)

A while back I posted thread of a black '62 GT Convertible we spotted.
    It's baaaaaack....

This time in an ad for San Francisco Muni (Transit Authority).
    If any are curious as I was - here's a better shot.

Should a future seismic event damage my roof...the gray one gets it!
    Attached Files
    Andy
    62 GT

I'm starting to think the factory must've built these. There was a blue one in Springfield.

Comment

Looks like a nice clean job on this black one.

Comment

At first glance, it looked like a Lincoln Continental convertible (minus the rear suicide doors).
        sigpic
        In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

That sure looks sharp! Should I conclude that there is no "top"? The "boot" looks pretty narrow - maybe too narrow to have a top mechanism below it?

--george
          1963 Lark Daytona HT - 63V J8 175

Comment

Two things come to mind looking at that pic...Well, 3 things...

1) Californians don't park worth a hoot.
            2) The wind must be awful in the back seat... Look at her goggles!
            3) The GT Hawk looks good topless (as do a lot of California girls)
            HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Not the one in the back seat.

Comment

Hi

Looks great, though I suspect its a parade car i.e. top removed but no folding top mechanism. For all the things they did right in those Hawk years, not finally adding a convertible is nearly criminal in my book. The omission in '53 was a tragic mistake, by '56 just absurd. Hard to believe Packard management didn't order one as they were trying to develop high-image models to counter those from the Big Three.

I've frequently wondered if someone(s) could develop and profitably market a well-engineered retrofit conversion kit for converting Hawks now. The answer is probably no, but I sure wish someone capable would try.

Pet peeve: collector car sellers who try to cash in on the appeal of actual '50's convertibles but cutting the top off some hapless hardtop, spraying it garish colors and palm it off as a real one......usually for a price at or near what a real one would garner. It's one of the best examples of bald-faced fraud going. Remember, if it has nothing to convert, it ain't a convertible!

I know, I know, caveat emptor, fool and his money, yada, yada. Still, it just shouts "beware, greedy and crooked"

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
                  I'm starting to think the factory must've built these. There was a blue one in Springfield.
                  Different, and catches the eye doesn't it.
                  But that sagging door gap, doesn't lead me to.....buy with confidence.
                  Car had Louisiana plates.
                  Last edited by 4961Studebaker; 07-03-2011, 06:17 AM.
                  61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X