Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STUDEBAKER history for 6/21/10

This will be two bits of history today
    Question#1 In what year and what military vehicle first phototype was built?
    Question#2 In what year did H-C Studebaker Blacksmith complete its first wagon?

Tom
    sigpic

A total guess on question #1. 1942 and the Weasel.
    #2. is 1852. They produced two wagons in their first year.
    Chris Dresbach

Comment

Since Studebaker built special wagons for use in the American Civil War there may have been a prototype in that time period. I don't have a clue on either date.
      "In the heart of Arkansas."
      Searcy, Arkansas
      1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
      1952 2R pickup

Comment

As far as the "Blacksmith" shop first Studebaker, I think I saw somewhere in the museum a wagon that was built when the Patriarch of the family built a wagon to move the family from Pennsylvania to South Bend in the 1840's. If I recall correctly, that is one of the first exhibits as you enter the museum.
        John Clary
        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I remember seeing a prototype weasel dating to the end of WWI, so 1915.
          Alex Nelsen, certified Studebaker nut.
          Driving a 1954 Champion Coupe powered by a Chrysler 383.
          Lizella, GA

Comment

Originally posted by Nelsen Motorsports View Post
            I remember seeing a prototype weasel dating to the end of WWI, so 1915.
            Is this what you were thinking of?

This was actually a production military "tractor" used in WWI. They had tank tracks and I think they had early Champion engines. This wasn't a prototype, but the Weasel idea could have came from this. I think only a few of these are still existant. This photo was from 1918.
            Chris Dresbach

Comment

My swag is 1863 and it was an ambulance...
              HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Dresbach View Post
                A total guess on question #1. 1942 and the Weasel.
                #2. is 1852. They produced two wagons in their first year.
                Thats the answer Chris
                Tom
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by COMMANDERPINK1 View Post
                  Thats the answer Chris
                  Tom
                  Awesome!
                  Chris Dresbach

Comment

I'm not convinced that's true. Surely they had to build a sample (or use an existing design for modification.), for the Govt to check out for the Civil War.

Comment

Originally posted by StudHawk60 View Post
                      I'm not convinced that's true. Surely they had to build a sample (or use an existing design for modification.), for the Govt to check out for the Civil War.
                      The civil war started in 1861, and Studebaker started in 1952. They would have had 9 years to build wagons. Besides that, for the time the wagons used were basically modified farm wagons. I would also guess that they started to build wagons, and then modified them as time went on. They needed wagons FAST.
                      Chris Dresbach

Comment

I quess all Studebakers built prior to 1952 were,.............fords??? stupak

Comment

There probably was a wagon build by a Studebaker before 1852 but I believe it was the two brothers attempt as a company I was asking or am I still wrong?

Tom
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Dresbach View Post
                            The civil war started in 1861, and Studebaker started in 1952. They would have had 9 years to build wagons. Besides that, for the time the wagons used were basically modified farm wagons. I would also guess that they started to build wagons, and then modified them as time went on. They needed wagons FAST.
                            I'm aware of the Civil War, I live within a mile of a major Civil War battlefield. (Look up Aug 31-Sept 1, 1864). I volunteer my time and give guided tours of the Civil War sites in this area.
                            Last edited by StudHawk60; 06-22-2010, 11:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by COMMANDERPINK1 View Post
                              There probably was a wagon build by a Studebaker before 1852 but I believe it was the two brothers attempt as a company I was asking or am I still wrong?

Tom
                              That is correct.
                              Chris Dresbach

Comment

Working...
                              X