Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transtar pickup- 1957

Hi - new member, new Studebaker owner, new to forums....but we need
    some information. We have this 1957 Transtar with a factory 9 ft. box. Does anyone have any information about them? Why a 9 ft.? How many where built? Is it unusual? Thanks folks,
    Dennis

Welcome to the forum, Dennis!! I'm not a truck guy, but there are a lot of 'em here and they'll be posting for you all afternoon.

While waiting, someone is going to ask you for the information on the id tags, so you might as well go look for them and post them.

Oh, and we all always want to see pics.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

The 9' box was only available on the one-ton models, which came only with a 131" wheelbase. If your truck is a 1957, the model number should be 3E-13 or 3E-14. The half-ton and 3/4-ton trucks were available with 6.5' (112" WB) and 8' (122" WB) boxes.

Skip Lackie
      Washington DC
      Skip Lackie

Comment

A Transtar 1 Ton pickup is a rare beast... post some pictures when you have a minute. The model and serial number will also provide some useful information, but having the Production Order in hand will be your best way to find out the original specs on your truck.

PS - Welcome to the Forum!

<h5>Mark
        '57 Transtar Deluxe
        Vancouver Island Chapter
        http://visdc.shawwebspace.ca/ </h5>

Mark Hayden
        '66 Commander

Comment

I bought my first Studebaker truck in January of 1974 and have personally seen less than a handful of 1 ton pickups since then (though I think there was one for sale on e-Bay a couple of months ago).

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful" and real Studebaker horsepower lives

See pictures here: http://community.webshots.com/user/GuidoSalvage

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Comment

Thanks for the replies!! It's nice to know that there are interested people out there!
            I will post more info on the 3E-13-31 Transtar as I find it.
            It has a 259 V8, 4 speed transmission and a Spicer rear end 4:11 gears.
            I will attempt pictures of our 2 studes
            [URL="http://www.mts.net/~antiques/transtar.jpg"]
            [URL="http://www.mts.net/~antiques/silverhawk.jpg"]

Comment

quote:Originally posted by dranger

I will post more info on the 3E-13-31 Transtar as I find it.
              It has a 259 V8, 4 speed transmission and a Spicer rear end 4:11 gears.

Dennis - That's a nice looking 1 Ton! [] It has the "nifty" factory dual fender mounted lights found only on 57/58 3E series trucks... I am guessing, but if the trim is original, I would say your truck has the standard C2 cab. Too bad it does not have the 5 spd OD transmission - that would make it a little better for highway trips!
              Fred Fox wrote a very good article on the 3E series Transtars in the December 1995/January 1996 issues of Turning Wheels - I would recommend that to you if you don't already have it. I would be interested in seeing some other outside, under hood and inside cab pics if you have them. Thanks for sharing.

<h5>Mark
              '57 Transtar Deluxe
              Vancouver Island Chapter

Mark Hayden
              '66 Commander

Comment

That is one great find in that condition,congrats.

If it wasn't for the last minute i'd never get anything done.
                101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

Thanks everyone and Happy New Year!! We're really looking forward to getting the Transtar on the road. Right now, the engine is being rebuilt and the interior is stripped out because the mice moved in before we were able to buy it. We found some more numbers, in case anyone is interested: Body #1823, Paint P5758, Trim T6050, Serial #13-1749, Model 3E13-31. The truck has 46,000 miles on it.
                  Dennis

Comment

Man oh man... I really want that truck.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by dranger

Thanks everyone and Happy New Year!! We're really looking forward to getting the Transtar on the road. Right now, the engine is being rebuilt and the interior is stripped out because the mice moved in before we were able to buy it. We found some more numbers, in case anyone is interested: Body #1823, Paint P5758, Trim T6050, Serial #13-1749, Model 3E13-31. The truck has 46,000 miles on it.
                      Dennis
                      FYI -
                      Paint Code P5758 = 2 tone paint Wedgewood Blue over Academy Blue.

For 1957 E13 trucks serial numbers started at 1501 and ended at 2136 (total production =636), so yours was built about a third of the way through the year.

<h5>Mark
                      '57 Transtar Deluxe
                      Vancouver Island Chapter

Mark Hayden
                      '66 Commander

Comment

Wow! That IS a rare beauty! [] Very nice looking truck. [^]

Mark, I never thought about that rare possibility, a Standard Cab C2, ordered with the Standard on Deluxes, Two-Tone paint and paint line moulding, but with no chrome door visors and hood ornament or "Deluxe" nameplate like a C4!
                        It does have the chrome headlight Rings, they could have been factory (included) or maybe changed.

All 1 Ton and larger should have the Class "A" Amber/Red front, Red separate rear Turn Indicators. Hey, those must be backwards! [:0]

It is illegal in most States if not all, to have any RED (lights, reflectors) facing forward! [:0]

StudeRich
                        StudeRich
                        Second Generation Stude Driver,
                        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

Wow! That IS a rare beauty! [] Very nice looking truck. [^]

Mark, I never thought about that rare possibility, a Standard Cab C2, ordered with the Standard on Deluxes, Two-Tone paint and paint line moulding, but with no chrome door visors and hood ornament or "Deluxe" nameplate like a C4!
                          It does have the chrome headlight Rings, they could have been factory (included) or maybe changed.

All 1 Ton and larger should have the Class "A" Amber/Red front, Red separate rear Turn Indicators. Hey, those must be backwards! [:0]

It is illegal in most States if not all, to have any RED (lights, reflectors) facing forward! [:0]

StudeRich
                          Rich - I am thinking the front turn signals are orange... just not the greatest light in the photo - I'm sure Dennis can enlighten us. 'course my eyesight isn't the best.

According to my info, all 3E series trucks had chrome headlamp rings - the painted ones started with the 5E series. It was the door visors, parking lamps, outside mirrors and the hood nameplate that were painted on the standard cab trucks. The chrome paintline moulding was of course included with the 2 tone paint job.

If it were mine, the Production Order would be on its way from the SNM!

<h5>Mark
                          '57 Transtar Deluxe
                          Vancouver Island Chapter

Mark Hayden
                          '66 Commander

Comment

Love Transtars - not many of them here in Oz

1962 GT Hawk
                            Waterloo, Victoria
                            Australia

Comment

Dennis............Welcome here !!

Very nice looking original truck and a rare one at that. You are fortunate to have found one in this good of original condition. You make me drool with envy. Wish I could find one like it just because of the rarity. Good luck and keep us informed of the progress.

'57 3E6-12 Transtar Deluxe
                              '64 Daytona HT
                              \'57 3E6-12 Transtar Deluxe
                              \'64 Daytona HT

Comment

Working...
                              X