• R-4 GT Hawk

I came across a December 1963 Car Life magazine with an article
    about Studebakers at Bonneville and I was very surprised to learn
    that a 1964 R-4 GT Hawk had set some records. To quote the magazine
    article "Another 12 records, in American Class C Closed Car division,
    were set by a Hawk powered by an unsupercharged R-4
    engine which averaged the flying kilo at 147.77 mph."[:0]
    My understanding was that Studebaker never made any R-3 or R-4
    Hawks, so was this a Granatelli special made just for Bonneville?
    I think it would be interesting to build a "clone" or "recreation",
    as Barrett-Jackson might say, of this car.
    Does anybody know if this car still exists? What color was it and
    whether or not it was a 4 speed car?
    I only have one key piece, a NOS R-4 intake manifold, but with
    enough information from the knowledgeable folks on this forum,
    I think such a project might be possible.
    What do you think?[?][?][?]

Lot's of cars were build for Bonneville that were never built on then assembly line. If you have the manifold, another 10K for the R4 heads and the rest and you'll be in business.

You could build something that looked like a R4 for less money, but the dual 4's are the pits for street use.]

64 Commander 2 dr.
    63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk (Black) #2
    63 Avanti R1
    63 Daytona convert
    63 Lark 2 door
    63 Lark 2 door #2
    62 Daytona HT/ 4 speed
    62 Lark 2 door
    62 GT Hawk 4 speed
    60 Lark HT
    60 Hawk
    59 3E truck
    52 Starliner
    51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

Lot's of cars were build for Bonneville that were never built on then assembly line. If you have the manifold, another 10K for the R4 heads and the rest and you'll be in business.

You could build something that looked like a R4 for less money, but the dual 4's are the pits for street use.]

64 Commander 2 dr.
      63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk (Black) #2
      63 Avanti R1
      63 Daytona convert
      63 Lark 2 door
      63 Lark 2 door #2
      62 Daytona HT/ 4 speed
      62 Lark 2 door
      62 GT Hawk 4 speed
      60 Lark HT
      60 Hawk
      59 3E truck
      52 Starliner
      51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

Greetings, All,

Back in the bad old days, I helped a friend build a GT Hawk with R3 pistons and cam, ported R3 valves in stock heads and an R4 intake with two 500 CFM AFBs. It really had decent manners on the street in the warm California sun. With 4.09 TT gears and a T-10, it would show you some smoke on the cheater slicks, ran 12.95s at the strip and needed a gallon of Sonoco 260 every ten miles, but it didn't bog or spit back.

Just couldn't convince the stock rods to like going over 6,500 RPMs and he ran out of money about the third blowup.

thnx, jv.

PackardV8
        PackardV8

Comment

Greetings, All,

Back in the bad old days, I helped a friend build a GT Hawk with R3 pistons and cam, ported R3 valves in stock heads and an R4 intake with two 500 CFM AFBs. It really had decent manners on the street in the warm California sun. With 4.09 TT gears and a T-10, it would show you some smoke on the cheater slicks, ran 12.95s at the strip and needed a gallon of Sonoco 260 every ten miles, but it didn't bog or spit back.

Just couldn't convince the stock rods to like going over 6,500 RPMs and he ran out of money about the third blowup.

thnx, jv.

PackardV8
          PackardV8

Comment

Hi,
            I dont know about that cars survival, but the 64 R2 Hawk is still around that was used on Bonneville. In 1992 I was in contact with the owner who was from Ca but living in Mi. It still had the numbers under the paint, but was not on the road.

Regards
            Greg

Greg Diffen
            Australian Stude nut living in Warwick, United Kingdom

1933 St Regis Brougham Model 56 Dutch delivered
            1937 Dicator sedan. Australian Body by TJ Richards
            1939 Packard Seven Passenger monster UK delivered
            1939 Commander Swiss Cabriolet by Lagenthal
            1988 Avanti Convertible
            Greg Diffen

Editor Studebaker Owners Club UK magazine

Australian Stude guy living in Warwick, United Kingdom

1933 St Regis Brougham Model 56 delivered new in the Netherlands
            1937 Dictator sedan Australian Body by TJ Richards RHC
            1937 Packard Super 8 Limousine UK delivered RHC
            1939 Packard Super 8 Seven Passenger sedan monster UK delivered RHC
            1939 Commander Cabriolet by Lagenthal of Switzerland
            1963 Lark Daytona Hardtop
            1988 Avanti Convertible

Comment

Hi,
              I dont know about that cars survival, but the 64 R2 Hawk is still around that was used on Bonneville. In 1992 I was in contact with the owner who was from Ca but living in Mi. It still had the numbers under the paint, but was not on the road.

Regards
              Greg

Greg Diffen
              Australian Stude nut living in Warwick, United Kingdom

1933 St Regis Brougham Model 56 Dutch delivered
              1937 Dicator sedan. Australian Body by TJ Richards
              1939 Packard Seven Passenger monster UK delivered
              1939 Commander Swiss Cabriolet by Lagenthal
              1988 Avanti Convertible
              Greg Diffen

Editor Studebaker Owners Club UK magazine

Australian Stude guy living in Warwick, United Kingdom

1933 St Regis Brougham Model 56 delivered new in the Netherlands
              1937 Dictator sedan Australian Body by TJ Richards RHC
              1937 Packard Super 8 Limousine UK delivered RHC
              1939 Packard Super 8 Seven Passenger sedan monster UK delivered RHC
              1939 Commander Cabriolet by Lagenthal of Switzerland
              1963 Lark Daytona Hardtop
              1988 Avanti Convertible

Comment

quote:Originally posted by R2GTHAWK

I think Granatellis switched engines from car to car depending on which model they wanted to set a new record. It sticks in my mind that they also ran a R-4 convertible. As far as I know from old storied, none of the cars existed as R-3 or R-4 production models.

[img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/R-4.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64L.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64P.jpg[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/53K.jpg[/img=right]Paul Johnson
                '53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
                '64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
                '64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
                Museum R-4 engine
                Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

quote:Originally posted by R2GTHAWK

I think Granatellis switched engines from car to car depending on which model they wanted to set a new record. It sticks in my mind that they also ran a R-4 convertible. As far as I know from old storied, none of the cars existed as R-3 or R-4 production models.

[img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/R-4.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64L.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64P.jpg[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/53K.jpg[/img=right]Paul Johnson
                  '53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
                  '64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
                  '64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
                  Museum R-4 engine
                  Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                  '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Yes, the Granatellis built several special Studebaker engines while trying to garner some speed records for Studebaker Corp. They had some kind of contractal arrangement with Studebaker. They were owners of the STP company, I believe, and Studebaker marketed their products. I think they were also connected with Paxton, but that may have just been a distributorship.

Comment

Yes, the Granatellis built several special Studebaker engines while trying to garner some speed records for Studebaker Corp. They had some kind of contractal arrangement with Studebaker. They were owners of the STP company, I believe, and Studebaker marketed their products. I think they were also connected with Paxton, but that may have just been a distributorship.

Comment

More info re R-4 and other special engines surfaced in the local club newsletter. I don't know their original source. A few items from the newsletter are added here to "complete" this thread.

The R-4 Specifications included: 289 non-supercharged, 280HP, 12.0:1 compression, two 4bbl Carter AFB carbs, same cam as R-3 (288 degree duration), forged pistons (vs. cast aluminum for R-1 and R-2). There was an optional camshaft part number 1558819 with 276 degree duration for the R-3 and R-4. The supercharged R-3 was spec'd at 335 hp. The supercharged R-2 was spec'd at 289 hp. One of the popular auto topics of the early-mid 1960's was getting one hp per cubic inch on "street" engines.

There was an experimental R-5 engine which was a standard block with 304.5 ci displacement, Paxton specification camshaft, dual Paxton superchargers, Bendix fuel injection. Red-lined at 7000 rpm it put out 638 horsepower on the Paxton dynamometer.

Paxton Superchargers and STP were Studebaker subsidiaries, as was Gravely Tractors. Do you suppose they might have put the R-5 in a Gravely? If not it would be a good rumor to start.

Comment

More info re R-4 and other special engines surfaced in the local club newsletter. I don't know their original source. A few items from the newsletter are added here to "complete" this thread.

The R-4 Specifications included: 289 non-supercharged, 280HP, 12.0:1 compression, two 4bbl Carter AFB carbs, same cam as R-3 (288 degree duration), forged pistons (vs. cast aluminum for R-1 and R-2). There was an optional camshaft part number 1558819 with 276 degree duration for the R-3 and R-4. The supercharged R-3 was spec'd at 335 hp. The supercharged R-2 was spec'd at 289 hp. One of the popular auto topics of the early-mid 1960's was getting one hp per cubic inch on "street" engines.

There was an experimental R-5 engine which was a standard block with 304.5 ci displacement, Paxton specification camshaft, dual Paxton superchargers, Bendix fuel injection. Red-lined at 7000 rpm it put out 638 horsepower on the Paxton dynamometer.

Paxton Superchargers and STP were Studebaker subsidiaries, as was Gravely Tractors. Do you suppose they might have put the R-5 in a Gravely? If not it would be a good rumor to start.

Comment

I've seen that spec before reprinted in a Northwest area SDC newsletter. I could not believe that the author got all that tech. stuff about the cams, and other specs. looking very detailed and correct, but HOW could he miss that fact that all R3 and R4's except the first couple of engineering test prototypes (299 cu.in.) were all 304.5 cu. in. !!!

StudeRich
                            Studebakers Northwest
                            Ferndale, WA
                            StudeRich
                            Second Generation Stude Driver,
                            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I've seen that spec before reprinted in a Northwest area SDC newsletter. I could not believe that the author got all that tech. stuff about the cams, and other specs. looking very detailed and correct, but HOW could he miss that fact that all R3 and R4's except the first couple of engineering test prototypes (299 cu.in.) were all 304.5 cu. in. !!!

StudeRich
                              Studebakers Northwest
                              Ferndale, WA
                              StudeRich
                              Second Generation Stude Driver,
                              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                              X