viscous fan drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• viscous fan drive

The fan on my R-2 GT Hawk spins about two seconds after shutdown -time for a new viscous fan drive!

Stude part 1560257, but I KNOW there is a direct Mopar/Chrysler interchange, because I did just that some years ago. But I can't find it in my voluminous interchange lists. Does anybody know
    what it is? Yes, I would normally get it from one of our friendly vendors, but I just had a large order come in from SI; wanted to try locally first. Thanks, Russ Farris
    1963 GT Hawk R-2 4-speed
    1964 Avanti R-1 Auto

Russ...
    Are you sure that makes it bad?
    Just curious..
    Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by maxpower1954

The fan on my R-2 GT Hawk spins about two seconds after shutdown -time for a new viscous fan drive!

Stude part 1560257, but I KNOW there is a direct Mopar/Chrysler interchange, because I did just that some years ago. But I can't find it in my voluminous interchange lists. Does anybody know
    what it is? Yes, I would normally get it from one of our friendly vendors, but I just had a large order come in from SI; wanted to try locally first. Thanks, Russ Farris
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Well, that's what I always thought, Jeff - it was supposed to stop turning with the engine. That's what the one on my Avanti does, and this one did also, until recently. Russ Farris
      1963 GT Hawk R-2 4-speed
      1964 Avanti R-1 Auto

Comment

Pretty reliable inicator...

Also, when you rev the engine a bad one will look like it's under a strobe light like the way it looks when you're using a timing light.

ErnieR

quote:Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK

Russ...
        Are you sure that makes it bad?
        Just curious..
        Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by maxpower1954

Comment

most fans should roar when you first crank your car in the morning for a short period of time, this is an easy way to check. it does that because the oil has settled to the bottom overnight. if any oil is leaking out around the shaft you should replace. it will only get worse.

ap

Comment

There is not a thermostatic replacement available any more. The repo's work, but are a different design.

JDP/Maryland
            JDP Maryland

Comment

For the ones that I have had to go bad. While the fan is still warm after driving...you can grasp the fan and it will wobble on the shaft. That is a good indicator that the viscous drive has given up the ghost.
              John Clary
              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Yours is bad. Try to find an NOS replacement. As John says, the replacements are non thermostatic. Just oil filled. Not real durable. Some one needs to come up with a better replacement. A thermostatic brand x adaptation, replacement. Anybody up to the task or has it been accomplished. The Studebaker fan is made to accept the larger bolt pattern clutch. I suppose one might be able to redrill the water pump flange and pullies to accept a GM fan clutch. jimmijim
                sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

75-80 Caddy, the pilot hole has to be enlarged .005". Easy job with a hand reamer.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Alan

75-80 Caddy, the pilot hole has to be enlarged .005". Easy job with a hand reamer.
                    Nice to know. thanks jimmijim
                    sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

That fan ISN'T nesessarally bad...!

A BIG question you didn't offer...and no one asked -
                      Was the fan hot when you noticed it running on?

That's what they are supposed to do when hot...!

When they are cold/cool, they are tight and...yes, should stop pretty quickly.
                      When hot, they loosen up and spin a few rotations after shut down.

Read up on them..

Mike

Comment

Dan Miller in GA makes or did make a kit for Hawks to use a thermostatic fan from a Jaguar. I have the kit on and it works fine. The clutch is from a '85 to '87 XJ6 or '85 to '92 XJS.

You can reach Dan:

Dan Miller: alexmil@comcast.net

I believe he said that there was not quite enough clearance to use this on a Lark. He was selling these at the 2007 Nationals in SB.

The NAPA part # is 261306

Fan Clutch - Thermostatic

Front
                        Part: TEM 261306
                        Product Line: NAPA Temp Products
                        Price Unit 44.99 Each

Attributes
                        Fan Clutch Bolt Circle Diameter : 1.39"
                        Fan Clutch Fan Mount Diameter : 2.62"
                        Fan Clutch Fan Mount Height : 2.25"
                        Fan Clutch Height : 2.67"
                        Fan Clutch Overall Diameter : 7.23"
                        Fan Clutch Pilot Diameter : .75"
                        Fan Clutch Rotation : Clockwise
                        Fan Clutch Style : 7" Heavy Duty
                        Fan Clutch Type : Thermal
                        Warranty
                        Limited Lifetime

Dan White
                        64 R1 GT
                        64 R2 GT
                        Dan White
                        64 R1 GT
                        64 R2 GT
                        58 C Cab
                        57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Alan

Thanks Alan, but there are at least two different fan clutches for Caddies for those years on the NAPA site - can you narrow it down a little more? Russ Farris
                          1963 GT Hawk R-2 4-speed
                          1964 Avanti R-1 Auto

Comment

I got the fan clutch below from Dave Thibault from Maryland for my Champ pickup. Too bad the thermostatic clutch will only work for the Hawks...

<div align="left">1960 Lark 60S-W4</div id="left"> <div align="right">1962 7E7-122</div id="right">
                            [img=left]http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/62champ/car/8b0ac4c6.jpg[/img=left]
                            [img=right]http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/62champ/car/DSC02237.jpg[/img=right]

Comment

What about Allan Tylers mod with a Nissan unit?

Bob Johnstone

64 GT Hawk
                              55 President State Sedan
                              70 Avanti (R3)
                              64 GT Hawk (K7)
                              1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Working...
                              X