Por-15 over sand blasted metal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Por-15 over sand blasted metal?

I have just finished sand blasting my truck's bed.
    I would like to paint the bottom of the floor with Por-15.
    Which I have not used yet.
    The can says "Rusted seasoned, and sand blasted metals are excellent
    surfaces to paint on."
    However I read a post by "Mr. Biggs" where he states that he painted clean metal and it flaked off.

Has anyone painted sand blasted metal with Por-15 succesfully?
    Unless I hear affirmative I am going with etching primer as I want to protect the metal as soon as possible.
    The previous owner blasted it twenty years ago and never primed it.
    Surprisingly it now looks good.

Thanks

Paul

As long as you prep the clean metal as per the POR-15 instructions using POR-15 products you should have no problem. Are you going to spray it? If so, make sure you use proper protection, as this stuff is NASTY NASTY NASTY!

Comment

Henry Votel,
      Forest Lake, MN
      Buying & Selling Studebaker Parts in MN & WI

Comment

Do you mean the bottom of the bed that is by the frame? Or the top of the bottom of the bed that is exposed to sunlight? POR instructs to not use on parts exposed to direct sunlight.

Comment

PAINT YOUR BED...
          Don't worry about anything. Freshly sandblasted , or even if it's sat a week or two (unless it's been rained on). The only thing you need to do is wear vinyl gloves.. long sleeves and long pants.

NO PREP AT ALL NEEDED
          NO metal-ready, NO ospho. No phospatizers..

POR-15 does NOT stick to: paint (old/new), bright metal, fine-sanded metal, GRINDER-stripped metal.

POR-15 sticks GREAT to: Rusty metal cleaned with a wire wheel of all LOOSE rust and scale, Sandblasted metal,

Ray

Specializing in Studebaker Restoration
          Ray

www.raylinrestoration.com
          Specializing in Studebaker Restoration

Comment

I've had good luck with it on clean, blasted suspension parts. As the guys have mentioned, it's not good for parts exposed to sunlight. I painted my tractor seat and even tho it's protected, it's all dull looking after a couple of years.
            I use an oil and grease remover to clean the parts first, BTW
            Bruce
            Yakima Wa

Comment

I know people that use it on clean metal, but the stuff was made from what I know to cover a rusty surface. Of course you do want to knock off the loose rust. Remember the old adds said, converts/neutralizes rust.

Orlando FLA
              Orlando FLA

Comment

Working...
              X