No announcement yet.

What type of Studebaker owner are YOU?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What type of Studebaker owner are YOU?

This may seem like a strange question, but we have a reason for asking. We are considering trying to write an article for Turning Wheels or for our own chapter newsletter and want to gather some information to help us out. We would like to know how members of the SDC and on this forum would classify themselves. Are you purists ("This is how my Studebaker came off the line and I want it to be JUST like that now")? Are you a "chop it/drop it/roll with it" kind of owner? Is your motto more, "Hey, I do what I can and enjoy what it says about me"?

We know most people don't fit into a single "category" of Studebaker ownership, but we've notice that most people tend to lean more toward a certain direction. We'd love to hear your opinion regarding where you stand.

For the record, we respect and appreciate any and all types of Studebaker enthusiasts. We're not looking to point figures or name names, we are just curious about the trends within the club. We realize that to some, this may be a sensitive issue. If you'd rather email us directly and/or anonymously, your response would also be welcome. Thanks in advance for your help!

P.S. We'll also be posting this on the truck forum so we can reach as many people as possible.

John and Tracy Smith
    Queen Creek Arizona

I love bone-stock originals, radical customs, and anything in between. Of course, some types of customs aren't my thing. I have a tendancy toward the least-loved models; that's why I'm a real Lark lover[:I] I especially like 4-doors, and 6-bangers- the real workhorses of the brand. I think there's plenty of folks out there to love Avantis and R-series cars; somebody's gotta save the unloved mutts I'm one of the minority in this, but I only like what I actually like- it's never about what will be the most popular, or garner the highest approval, or the most attention; and that's very freeing.

So when somebody looks disapprovingly at my "patina"-laden Lark wagon, I can just smile and trundle off with a puff of blue smoke

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
    Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

The way it rolled off the line, that's the way it is in my driveway.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

I bought a Speedster and a half for my project. Kept the hood and deck lid off one car, and Speedster specific parts off both cars, sold the rest off. They were both rust buckets with some repairs. My chassis came from Cal., Body from Ariz. It's a resto-rod but Sometimes the mods. are hard to find except by the purists. If the car is showen, its with the hood down, LT1 power.
        Just sold a vary nice barn fresh origional 42 Champ coupe because I had no interest in a stock 6 banger. It was to nice and to origional to modify.
        I also drive a 29 roadster pickup with a flathead V8, so I must still be a Hot Rodder at 68 years old.
        Klif

55 Speedster
        55 Speedster/Street Machine
        63 Avanti R2
        64 Convertible R1

Comment

Resti-fy it, within the original design parameters. Leave no stone unturned, and throw away all my receipts. That said, It will have every bit of the OEM chrome (plus some extra) on it, and a numbers-matching block. Today, I was fitting an Olds cutlass front sway bar on it. Forget about chalk marks from the assembly line or South Bend air in the (radial)tires. It will be a driver, but not a daily driver. Hope that answers your question.

Comment

I have to agree with Hotwheels and Bams. As to modifications, they are preferrably kept to a minimum. It's kind of a pragmatic thing for me. If an alternator is a better fit, well I just might take the genny out, like Ed, my pickup. Then again, my '56 still has a genny that works quite well, thank you. All I have to do is get Bess put back together.[)]

You know... I just thought of a great modification for Bess. One of those vintage evap coolers that hang on the window.[8D] My Mum used to have one and always asked for a big cup of ice whenever we stopped. She even supplied the big cup.

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
            K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
            Ron Smith
            Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
            Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
            K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
            Ron Smith
            Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

I only own one car. It isn't considered rare, so I'm the "type of owner" that really enjoys the original design, kept it close to that theme, but with minor modifications within the drive train. Also, the type that works on them and loves to learn anything about working on any of them. "Type of SDC member" would be a different answer; I like most any of them with a Studebaker nameplate on them, with a preference for an engine by S-P.

Comment

I'm definitely from the chop it/drop it/and roll it mold. I love the classic lines and retain those with some subtle adjustments, but it is definitely a Studebaker. But I am also a speed freak and like to modify stuff. I like creature comforts too so here comes the AC, power windows, cruise control etc. I do appreciate original cars, and admire the folks that have the patience to keep or restore them that way. But that's just not for me. I do appreciate being in a chapter that welcomes my modified, hot rod, customized Starlight. I like hanging out with other Stude lovers and when we caravan down the highway I really enjoy all the looks we get.

Pat

Pat Dilling
                Olivehurst, CA
                Custom '53 Starlight aka Stu Cool

Pat Dilling
                Olivehurst, CA
                Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

I generally like mine low and loud.

sals54
                  sals54

Comment

Daryl starbird ani't got nuttin on me
                    i can buy stock in a can chicken or beef. I say chop em drop em, shake em bake em,Rake em, make em rumble, and make lizards use the front bumper for back scrathers. Flames, scallops, stripes, yeah baby. Droped, shaved,decked, mooned,tunneled,ports, milled, punched,stroked,puffed, hammered, and ported. Tip the can and let the smoke pour and the rubber burn.

Slow and stock not me, i'm gonna 98volt my rascal with some big and littles. I'm going down in a blaze of glory don't ya just love guns and rose's, kid rock, lyle lovett, pinup girls,tattoed women, white line fever, jim beam whiskey and Studebakerss. Life is good. thats my type. Oh and sandra Dee of course! Ya gotta have a seat cover.

Comment

Wow, I will sound like a quiet ole grandpa,
                      after hearing these others. I likum both
                      ways, all ways, from mild to wild. The two
                      projects I have going now are one original
                      and one modified. I lean toward completely
                      original. 1 purist vote

Tex in Alabama
                      53 C coupe
                      53 4 door

Tex E. Grier

Comment

quote:Originally posted by hotwheels63r2

I like my rides as original as possible especially if they are a bit more on the rare side.

I'll 'tweak' any driver for a bit for saftey, serviceability, driveabilty and for my personal tastes.

I have plenty of non perfect cars also, that have custom touches like power steering, offy intakes, 4 barrels, and even a 400 small block.

I'd never alter a rare one like my Skytop, R2 Hawk or R1 Lark though.

MIKE
                        Mike, that sums up my thoughts as well. The rare ones, special-ordered ones, definitely keep stock.

Craig

Comment

I would hope you take into account in your article research that most of this information comes from the forums, there's a large antique SDC club inwhich I'm not sure the amount of participation on this forum that could infuence purist/custom votes. Or mention participants on this forum are a small percentage of the overall club memebership. Just a perspective to pass along.

Having said all that, I own one stock, one modified. I lean overall towards modified. However I like and appreciate stock, its just that I like to incorporate up to date running gear, stopping gear, and convienences, wrapped up in an older package.

Could I customize a 395 pt show car?.......NO.......but if it started out with rusted floors, trunk, siezed engine and broken glass. You bet its going the customized route or for parts.

ChopStu
                          61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

My Studebaker interests are varied, I like going to shows and show
                            off the brand, I get tired of seeing the same Mustangs,Chevys,mopars
                            buy the dozens.You may see one or two Studes at a show. My Speedster
                            is always a hit when I take it,the lemon lime colors stop people in their tracks,they don't believe it is all factory colors
                            Also Studebaker's are so very stylish and fun to drive.
                            Studebaker's with a load of factory options.
                            Finally when I was in High School a Stude. Champion 2dr coupe was
                            what drive for a couple of years.

1955 SPEEDSTER LEMON/LIME
                            1955 SPEEDSTER
                            RED & WHITE

Comment

I do what I want with all my cars. Especially common models and 4 doors. They will never be worth much so have fun with them.

Comment

Working...
                              X