Twin Traction on a Scotty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Axle: Twin Traction on a Scotty

My '58 Scotsman has the TT rear. Does that automatically mean it's a Dana 44?

Originally posted by tomnoller View Post
    My '58 Scotsman has the TT rear. Does that automatically mean it's a Dana 44?
    I think Studebaker offered TT on any of the Dana/Spicer rears that came in a vehicle - 23s, 27s, 44s, and 60s.

Comment

Ah, thanks!
      I assume since my car is a Scotsman and has the 185 six, I'll also have one of the lighter rear axles. Not that I want to hot rod it, just for replacement seals.

Comment

Ah, thanks!
        I assume since my car is a Scotsman and has the 185 six, I'll also have one of the lighter rear axles. Not that I want to hot rod it, just for replacement seals.
        I have no knowledge but would think like you are.
        Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

The axle model number is cast into the "web" of the pumpkin.

Comment

I don't have a '58 parts catalog but the '59-'64 book shows TT used in any of the axles.

Comment

A mechanic pal tells me the 44 has a 19 spline axle shaft, which mine has.
              Going to replace the inner seals (40769-S) and wondering if anyone has replaced the felt ring within the outer seal?

Comment

The pinion seal and inner and outer axle seals are the same for 23, 27, and 44 rear ends as used in Studebaker passenger cars of that era. The only different gasket would be the cover gasket - the 23/27 is different than the 44, but that is an easy visual check of the shape of the cover.

Comment

To be clear on nomenclature, is the cover gasket the one that surrounds the axle shaft in this picture?

Click image for larger version

Name:	58 rear brakes.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	1729281

Comment

To be clear on nomenclature, is the cover gasket the one that surrounds the axle shaft in this picture?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]83435[/ATTACH]
                    The felt seal and gasket comes as a set. I got mine from Studebaker West.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P5110392.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	1729282
                    "Man plans, God laughs".

Anon

Comment

Item in photo is usually called the outer oil/grease seal. The cover gasket mentioned above sounds like the gasket that goes under the metal cover over the rear of the differential housing.

Comment

The twin traction in a light pickup is a novelty today. In the day, late fifties many farmers on the dirt (mud) roads felt it would beneficial if the other wheel would spin when stuck or negotiating the rural roads. The twin traction, limited slip and locking differential was introduced and every farmer bought one. With this new assembly we will be able to get around better. Almost every farmer had a visit with the ditch before he even new it, one quick miss correction and you were bound for the ditch. As quick as they bought these units they disappeared within a few years and they returned to the two drive and somewhat later the four wheel drive. I owned a newer Ford Explorer with a limited slip differential and it was very dangerous in 2X the snow but 4X was a dream.

Comment

Never heard of any "Farmers" going into ditches. But up here in Western Washington where "some snow" does happen, almost every one of the V8 Lark & Lark Types we have seen, found or bought were ordered with a TT to handle the Winters.
                          I doubt they were ordered for Drag Racing!
                          StudeRich
                          Second Generation Stude Driver,
                          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I spent a good part of my time in Saskatchewan in the Cypress Hills area where the roads were narrow and dirt, there were ruts for miles. The roads were so muddy in the rain you could hardly walk in it. And yes most of the farmers went in to the ditch with the TT differentials. There were some local Studebaker dealers there also. I lived there during this time with the advent of the TT differentials. Farmers are very much followers if one farmer applies a new or different procedure they all will for miles around. Every body bought new trucks with TT differentials and got rid of them just as fast. TT differentials can be a detriment in the wrong hands. You can not compare the Pacific Northwest with the Saskatchewan's Cypress Hills.

Comment

Working...
                            X