X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A photo here: https://forum.studebakerdriversclub....-60-Larks-also

Post 55 here: https://forum.studebakerdriversclub....registry/page2

Comment

Yep - it simply looked like the Champ radio block-off plate (flat and painted the same black as the dash) with the two gauges sitting in the middle between the attachment points for that metal plate. This is a photo of what the back of those plates looks like. Many of the photos on that website were engineering photos that had things like hand throttles and right hand drive applications. Only thing I can think of it was engineering figuring out a good place to put those direct-reading gauges on the early Larks - probably HD taxi or police applications or something like that. Good luck.

Comment

I have seen this arrangement on Champs before, but have been told the bracket holding the gauges on is not Studebaker - better arrangement than the factory spots.

Comment

Looking at a Summit catalog, they have a gauge that looks close enough to the originals, I wouldn’t quibble, but I have no idea of choosing electric or mechanical pressure gauge? This relates to function so originality for this decision doesn’t concern me.

Comment

A couple of good photos in there. Great! There are a few options to try, that's nice to know.

Comment

I like the pair around the column, but I don't think that works with the original ignition recess. Isn't that in a different spot than on the Lark?
              I see that the ignition bezel is not usual, at least not for Larks.
              I am satisfied with the mounts under the dash, or fabricating a metal delete plate the same size as the original and just insert the gauges in that.

Comment

62Champ, according to my production order for this truck those were factory installed gauges.
                Ed Sallia
                Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Eddie View Post
                  62Champ, according to my production order for this truck those were factory installed gauges.
                  I believe that is true - many of these trucks came with those gauges. I was simply stating the factory would not have modified the dash face for those type of gauges - they simply hung them under the lip of the dash as seen in the photo above - much cheaper and more simple.

Comment

I see no indication they were ever installed anywhere other than where they are currently.
                    Ed Sallia
                    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Ed on closer examination it turns out that your Headlight Switch is Custom, not even Studebaker and not in the Correct Location.
                      So that whole Gauge installation must be like the Custom Door Panels, Arm Rests, Seat Upholstery, relocated Heat Control etc. though very nicely done, just not Factory.

So since you do have a Production Order showing the Special Equipment Gauges, they had to have been moved.

As Post #14 & 18 Shows, they are where the Headlight Switch AND Heat Control should be.
                      Last edited by StudeRich; 08-16-2019, 09:37 PM.
                      StudeRich
                      Second Generation Stude Driver,
                      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I've mounted 3 gauges in a delete plate and like being able to just glance over to see them. also more accurate readings. I did trade a script plate for one didn't have "CHAMP" on it.
                        Kim

Comment

Interesting thread, I am taking a Champ delete plate and will mount Hawk Oil and amp gauges on either side of the script. I'll post photos when it's done
                          Ron Dame
                          '63 Champ

Comment

That sounds ideal, doing that. In a Lark, making a plate with the Lark logo on it, or the word Lark, might be a nice looking complement. Or, possibly squeezing in a small replica Studebaker script under the gauges, if it could fit.
                            Last edited by LeoH; 08-17-2019, 04:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kamzack View Post
                              I've mounted 3 gauges in a delete plate and like being able to just glance over to see them. also more accurate readings. I did trade a script plate for one didn't have "CHAMP" on it.
                              Kim
                              Looking at my radio yesterday, I didn’t feel that you’d need to angle the gauges to make them readable, if they were in that space on the dash.

Comment

Since the dash top/bottom is the same as the '58 dash, it would be interested for someone to take the top off one of those and in place of the speedo, put in a pair of those gauges or even a tach that would fit and attach it to the dash in a Champ or early Lark.

Comment

Working...
                                X