Thread: A very Nice Concept Car by a surprize Manufacturer

Thumbs up A very Nice Concept Car by a surprize Manufacturer

A very decent, clean looking and simple little Roadster, built by of all Co's; The Budd Corp. !

The prime Manufacturer of Studebakers' & many Makes' Sheet Metal, Bodies, Frames, Wheels etc.

Studebaker Content: "It has nice '62 GT Hawk Gauges, Speedometer and Tach."

There are slight cues of the Kaiser Darin, and would have done AMC Proud.

https://journal.classiccars.com/2019...e-before-ford/
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

I recall seeing photos of that car in an older issue of Collectible Automobile. If I remember, Budd was trying to pitch it to AMC as a Metropolitan replacement. The product was rejected due to the limited market for 2-seaters.

Craig

It's a nice looking little car. If it had been designed with even a small back seat, AMC might have jumped on it. With a 327, it must have been a performer, and likely would have trumped the Mustang in that respect.

President Member
    I may biased, but is not the Avanti a sporty car using existing chassis and components. It came out in 1962 as a 63 year model. Isn't this almost 2 years before the mustang?
    78 Avanti RQB 2792
    64 Avanti R1 R5408
    63 Avanti R1 R4551
    63 Avanti R1 R2281
    62 GT Hawk V15949
    56 GH 6032504
    56 GH 6032588
    55 Speedster 7160047
    55 Speedster 7165279

President Member
    A small back seat may have made the car more salable. Too bad AMC didn't build it, but at the time AMC was conservative to the extreme.

Golden Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 64studeavanti View Post
    I may biased, but is not the Avanti a sporty car using existing chassis and components. It came out in 1962 as a 63 year model. Isn't this almost 2 years before the mustang?
    The two things that take the Avanti out of the same market category; 1) not sports car sized and 2) price (as compared to Mustang or this proposed AMC).
    I am not bashing Avantis. I have owned new and used Avantis. The 1963 Avanti was more in the market of Thunderbirds and Rivieras.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

President Member
    Too bad AMC was so conservative they did not see fit to offer a V-8 in that sharp new 106" wheelbase 1964 Rambler American 440 hardtop and convertible, with a proper back seat. Even their 'little' 287 V-8 would have nicely done the job. The 'Twin Stick' o/d, or a T-10 4 gear would have added to the fun. Would have been a lot simpler and cheaper than tooling up an entirely new body.
    Used to cruise around with a friend in his sweet little convertible, a real chick magnet, but performance wise, it couldn't pull the cork out of a broken wine bottle.
    My first licensed car at the age of 16 was a '61 Rambler Classic, We swapped out the sick aluminum 6 and installed a Duntov cammed 283 and all chevy driveline. Cut my hot rooding teeth and had a hell of a lot of fun in 1965 with that old Rambler. With the rump rump rump of that Duntov, and the rep. of having a built SBC, most of the 'new car' owning fellows didn't want to race out fear of the humiliation of losing. Engine swapping was my thing right through the '70s. Ah, the memories of youth and its conquests.
    Last edited by Jessie J.; 08-17-2019 at 08:45 AM.

I like the way it looks. Too bad it was never produced.

On another note, if you scroll down the page a little farther, there's also a short article about Robert Casey, retired curator of transportation of the Henry Ford Museum, presenting "Horses to Horsepower" at the Studebaker National Museum on Wednesday August 21, 2019 at 1:30 PM.

https://studebakermuseum.org/?event=...ate=2019-08-21
    Mark L

President Member
    Anyone notice the GT Hawk gauges?

Chris.

I beleive if produced, it would have sold in small numbers compared to the Mustang. The original Mustang was a great looking car, the Budd car is okay at best.

In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Quote Originally Posted by Milaca View Post
    I beleive if produced, it would have sold in small numbers compared to the Mustang. The original Mustang was a great looking car, the Budd car is okay at best.
    That fact that it was a two-seater would have limited the sales of it right there.

Craig