Results 1 to 27 of 27

Thread: SNM Specialty Plate arrived!

  1. #1
    Golden Hawk Member BobPalma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Brownsburg, IN, USA.(NW suburban Indianapolis)
    Posts
    22,713

    SNM Specialty Plate arrived!

    As many of you know, Indiana residents now have the option of buying a Specialty License Plate to support The Studebaker National Museum. The cost is $40 above your regular registration fee; $25 of which goes to the museum and $15 to the state for administrative fees to make the plate, etc.

    The new plate for my 2002 Dakota Quad Cab arrived in today's mail:

    snmdakotaplate.jpg

    Although the JM221 is a randomly-assigned "number," how ironic that the letters JM are the initials of one of the Studebaker brothers. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

    Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

    G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

  2. #2
    President Member Ron Dame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Asheville, NC
    Posts
    1,670
    Though I am happy living here, I wish I could register a car in Indiana just to get the plate and support the Mueseum.
    Ron Dame
    '63 Champ

  3. #3
    President Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Noblesville, Indiana, USA.
    Posts
    2,842
    What took you so long Bob??? I've had mine since before Fathers Day! <G>

    Jim

  4. #4
    Champion Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Granger, IN
    Posts
    7
    Got mine in April JM145

    Studebaker Plate.jpg

  5. #5
    Golden Hawk Member BobPalma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Brownsburg, IN, USA.(NW suburban Indianapolis)
    Posts
    22,713
    Quote Originally Posted by 59stude View Post
    Got mine in April JM145

    Studebaker Plate.jpg
    That's interesting, Jim. Note that your plate number is JM145 and mine is JM221. That probably means they sold 76 non-personalized Studebaker National Museum plates between when we each bought ours.

    However, that doesn't mean they sold only 76 SNM plates because some of them, like Jim Turner's, have buyer-selected, personalized number/letter combinations. Those combinations cost an additional $45, so the total cost becomes $85 for an SNM plate with personalized numbers/letters. (If somebody else doesn't grab it first, I'm thinking of springing for the additional $45 next year to get an SNM plate that reads BESTV8. That is the maximum number of characters and will pass the review board looking for offensive/suggestive/illicit combinations. ) BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

    Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

    G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

  6. #6
    Golden Hawk Member StudeRich's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Ferndale, WA, USA.
    Posts
    28,557
    Does anyone have a clue what those 2 Digit Numbers are in the Lower Right Corner?
    Maybe a County Code?

    The actual Day, Month & Year is at the Top that it expires, so does that mean that Plate is Trash Next Year, or gets a Sticker, is Lifetime or what?

    Usually if it's Dated, with no way to hide it, it's junk next year! What a Waste.
    Your guess Bob, doesn't work because Your Lic. number is Higher than his, but that Number is LOWER and they are Exactly the SAME Plates 4 Months apart!

    If you want one, just TRY having a GOOD Friend let YOU register your car in YOUR Name at his Indiana Address, and then "MOVE" out of State & change address, it worked for CA to Washington.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 08-15-2019 at 07:57 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner




  7. #7
    President Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    South Bend,, In, USA.
    Posts
    1,204
    The 2 digit numbers is the county. I live in St. Joe county and our number is 71. The last time the state did a special plate for the Museum, the gave the unsold plates to them . May be they will that again.

  8. #8
    Golden Hawk Member Dick Steinkamp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Bellingham, WA, USA.
    Posts
    13,873
    Quote Originally Posted by StudeRich View Post

    If you want one, just TRY having a GOOD Friend let YOU register your car in YOUR Name at his Indiana Address, and then "MOVE" out of State & change address, it worked for CA to Washington.
    Other than being illegal and unethical that's pretty much a non starter.
    Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

  9. #9
    President Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    South Bend,, In, USA.
    Posts
    1,204
    Out of state cars need a police check.

  10. #10
    Speedster Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    370
    IF these plates were intended to make some revenue for the museum, why didn't they offer them to everybody in some fashion or other? stupak

  11. #11
    Golden Hawk Member jclary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Greer, sc, USA.
    Posts
    10,415
    Instead of an "unsold state plate"...why not find out who's doing the plates and contract with them for a similar looking SNM "Studebaker Tribute" plate. My state and many others do not use a front license plate and many of us use the space for custom tags. The space reserved for the license number could be used for personalizing with year of your car or model name. Where it says Indiana, the Museum plate could say "Made in Indiana USA."
    They could keep the red Studebaker badge where it is and the Studebaker Museum at the bottom where it sits now. Perhaps there's a buck or two to be made by the manufacturer and the SNM.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC
    [IMG][/IMG]
    SDC member since 1975

  12. #12
    Golden Hawk Member 8E45E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    , , Canada.
    Posts
    15,967
    Don't they sell unregisterable 'sample' plates with all zeros on it for non-Indiana residents?

    Craig

  13. #13
    Chief Cat Herder showbizkid's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    San Diego, California, USA.
    Posts
    8,707
    That's a very cool offering. Design is nice.
    Clark in San Diego
    '63 Standard (F2) "Barney"
    http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

  14. #14
    President Member ddub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Centralia, WA, USA
    Posts
    2,185
    Quote Originally Posted by jclary View Post
    Instead of an "unsold state plate"...why not find out who's doing the plates and contract with them for a similar looking SNM "Studebaker Tribute" plate. My state and many others do not use a front license plate and many of us use the space for custom tags. The space reserved for the license number could be used for personalizing with year of your car or model name. Where it says Indiana, the Museum plate could say "Made in Indiana USA."
    They could keep the red Studebaker badge where it is and the Studebaker Museum at the bottom where it sits now. Perhaps there's a buck or two to be m
    ade by the manufacturer and the SNM.
    Great idea, I'd buy one, or more.
    Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

    40 Champion 4 door*
    50 Champion 2 door*
    53 Commander K Auto*
    53 Commander K overdrive*
    55 President Speedster
    62 GT 4Speed*
    63 Avanti R1
    64 Champ 1/2 ton

    * Formerly owned

  15. #15
    President Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    1,185
    This is a very interesting and creative fund raising idea. Perhaps SDC could do something similar.

    Chris.

  16. #16
    Silver Hawk Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC, USA.
    Posts
    6,179
    Quote Originally Posted by StudeRich View Post

    The actual Day, Month & Year is at the Top that it expires, so does that mean that Plate is Trash Next Year, or gets a Sticker, is Lifetime or what?

    Usually if it's Dated, with no way to hide it, it's junk next year! What a Waste.

    I have no personal knowledge of Indiana registration and license plate rules, but that hasn't been the case in a long time, if ever. A number of states date new issue plates with the expiration year embedded, but then issue annual stickers for them thereafter. Modern flat-plate technology (which is used for the Stude Museum plates) provides a flat surface for the later stickers. It also allows the plates to carry the exact expiration month and day.

  17. #17
    Golden Hawk Member BobPalma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Brownsburg, IN, USA.(NW suburban Indianapolis)
    Posts
    22,713
    Quote Originally Posted by jclary View Post
    Instead of an "unsold state plate"...why not find out who's doing the plates and contract with them for a similar looking SNM "Studebaker Tribute" plate. My state and many others do not use a front license plate and many of us use the space for custom tags. The space reserved for the license number could be used for personalizing with year of your car or model name. Where it says Indiana, the Museum plate could say "Made in Indiana USA."
    They could keep the red Studebaker badge where it is and the Studebaker Museum at the bottom where it sits now. Perhaps there's a buck or two to be made by the manufacturer and the SNM.
    That wheel has pretty much already been invented, John.

    Both Studebaker International and The Studebaker National Museum Gift Shop sell a variety of front "license plates" to be used on vehicles in states where a front plate is not required. At least a couple of those plates are similar enough to the Official Indiana SNM Specialty Plate that it would be duplicitous to make yet another one.

    Your suggestion, the space reserved for the license number could be used for personalizing with year of your car or model name...is a good one. Perhaps one of those vendors could pick up on that additional idea, since the basic dies and such already exist where those plates are being made. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

    Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

    G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

  18. #18
    Golden Hawk Member BobPalma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Brownsburg, IN, USA.(NW suburban Indianapolis)
    Posts
    22,713
    Quote Originally Posted by Skip Lackie View Post
    I have no personal knowledge of Indiana registration and license plate rules, but that hasn't been the case in a long time, if ever. A number of states date new issue plates with the expiration year embedded, but then issue annual stickers for them thereafter. Modern flat-plate technology (which is used for the Stude Museum plates) provides a flat surface for the later stickers. It also allows the plates to carry the exact expiration month and day.
    That's true in Indiana, Skip; we only get annual renewal stickers for several years after an initial plate is created and issued. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

    Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

    G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

  19. #19
    Golden Hawk Member BobPalma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Brownsburg, IN, USA.(NW suburban Indianapolis)
    Posts
    22,713
    Quote Originally Posted by StudeRich View Post
    Does anyone have a clue what those 2 Digit Numbers are in the Lower Right Corner?
    Maybe a County Code?
    What Jim said in Post #7, Rich. The two-digit figure in the lower right is a county code. Indiana has 92 counties, so the codes were created years ago in alphabetical order; 1 through 92.

    Jim and Gene (Post #4) live in St. Joseph County; 71. I live in Hendricks County; 32.

    Alphabetically, Marion County, which is essentially Indianapolis, is 49. However, they ran out of numbers because there are so many cars in Marion County, so some Marion County plates are 93; the first two digits available after they had used up all the digits for the state's 92 counties. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

    Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

    G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

  20. #20
    Golden Hawk Member jclary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Greer, sc, USA.
    Posts
    10,415
    Quote Originally Posted by BobPalma View Post
    That wheel has pretty much already been invented, John. ...Your suggestion, the space reserved for the license number could be used for personalizing with year of your car or model name...is a good one. Perhaps one of those vendors could pick up on that additional idea, since the basic dies and such already exist where those plates are being made. BP
    Bob, I realized that there are existing plates for that purpose, but here, since I think it is an attractive plate, it's all about the formatting. This design provides an opportunity to draw attention to the Legacy of Studebaker, and the region from which they came. Also, I have a past experience that inspired me to suggest "Indiana USA" on the plate. I was out in my '51 Land Cruiser when I was approached by some college students. They were taken by the bullet nose design, V8 engine, and plush interior for a car so old. One asked me where they were made? I responded, "Indiana." Next was a question that astonished me..." WHAT COUNTRY IS THAT IN?" (Perhaps Indiana needs to get their name in some video games?)

    Since it is an attractive format, it might become popular on those merits as an alternative to those currently being offered. Heck, for those wanting to add their personal touch to the space reserved for official numbers...vinyl numbers & letters are available at craft stores like Hobby Lobby.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC
    [IMG][/IMG]
    SDC member since 1975

  21. #21
    Golden Hawk Member BobPalma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Brownsburg, IN, USA.(NW suburban Indianapolis)
    Posts
    22,713
    Quote Originally Posted by jclary View Post
    Bob, I realized that there are existing plates for that purpose, but here, since I think it is an attractive plate, it's all about the formatting. This design provides an opportunity to draw attention to the Legacy of Studebaker, and the region from which they came. Also, I have a past experience that inspired me to suggest "Indiana USA" on the plate. I was out in my '51 Land Cruiser when I was approached by some college students. They were taken by the bullet nose design, V8 engine, and plush interior for a car so old. One asked me where they were made? I responded, "Indiana." Next was a question that astonished me..." WHAT COUNTRY IS THAT IN?" (Perhaps Indiana needs to get their name in some video games?)

    Since it is an attractive format, it might become popular on those merits as an alternative to those currently being offered. Heck, for those wanting to add their personal touch to the space reserved for official numbers...vinyl numbers & letters are available at craft stores like Hobby Lobby.
    Don't give me any ideas, John. BESTV8 might come about sooner than later! BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

    Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

    G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

  22. #22
    Silver Hawk Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC, USA.
    Posts
    6,179
    Quote Originally Posted by BobPalma View Post
    What Jim said in Post #7, Rich. The two-digit figure in the lower right is a county code. Indiana has 92 counties, so the codes were created years ago in alphabetical order; 1 through 92.

    Jim and Gene (Post #4) live in St. Joseph County; 71. I live in Hendricks County; 32.

    Alphabetically, Marion County, which is essentially Indianapolis, is 49. However, they ran out of numbers because there are so many cars in Marion County, so some Marion County plates are 93; the first two digits available after they had used up all the digits for the state's 92 counties. BP
    Obscure license plate factoid: Indiana license plates dated from 1963 though 2008 used the county code as a prefix (eg, 71-1234). County code prefixes were very common in the mid-West, and still hang on in a few states. But the conversion to the ABC-123 numbering format and semi-permanent plates in many states is eliminating it.

  23. #23
    Golden Hawk Member StudeRich's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Ferndale, WA, USA.
    Posts
    28,557
    Quote Originally Posted by BobPalma View Post
    What Jim said in Post #7, Rich. The two-digit figure in the lower right is a county code./Cut/
    OR, what I said PRIOR in Post #6!

    Posted at 5:23 PM. I only added the sentence about cheating the system later at 5:57 PM

  24. #24
    President Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Southern, CA,(L.A.) USA.
    Posts
    808
    Quote Originally Posted by BobPalma View Post
    That's interesting, Jim. Note that your plate number is JM145 and mine is JM221. That probably means they sold 76 non-personalized Studebaker National Museum plates between when we each bought ours.

    However, that doesn't mean they sold only 76 SNM plates because some of them, like Jim Turner's, have buyer-selected, personalized number/letter combinations. Those combinations cost an additional $45, so the total cost becomes $85 for an SNM plate with personalized numbers/letters. (If somebody else doesn't grab it first, I'm thinking of springing for the additional $45 next year to get an SNM plate that reads BESTV8. That is the maximum number of characters and will pass the review board looking for offensive/suggestive/illicit combinations. ) BP
    Now Bob, IF you put that plate on your daily driver, followers will think you're suggesting THAT car has the "BestV8"
    JimsLeadCommander

  25. #25
    Golden Hawk Member BobPalma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Brownsburg, IN, USA.(NW suburban Indianapolis)
    Posts
    22,713
    Quote Originally Posted by Skip Lackie View Post
    Obscure license plate factoid: Indiana license plates dated from 1963 though 2008 used the county code as a prefix (eg, 71-1234). County code prefixes were very common in the mid-West, and still hang on in a few states. But the conversion to the ABC-123 numbering format and semi-permanent plates in many states is eliminating it.
    True, Skip. We were told (and it's believable) that they simply ran out of numbers to continue using the old two-digit prefix denoting the county. With the ABC123 arrangement, you can start all over with 123ABC...and thousands of combinations in between. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

    Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

    G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

  26. #26
    Silver Hawk Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC, USA.
    Posts
    6,179
    It took California, with its millions of cars and lots of turnover, seven years (from 1963 to 1969) to go from AAA-001 to ZZZ-999. As I recall, they omitted the letters I, O, and Q from the third position to prevent them from being confused with numbers. That's 15,548,000 numbers.

    It only took 12 years (late 1969 to mid 1980) to go from 001-AAA to 999-ZZZ (new issues only, with all older numbers still valid).

  27. #27
    Golden Hawk Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Wappingers Falls, New York, USA.
    Posts
    21,319
    Quote Originally Posted by Skip Lackie View Post
    It took California, with its millions of cars and lots of turnover, seven years (from 1963 to 1969) to go from AAA-001 to ZZZ-999. As I recall, they omitted the letters I, O, and Q from the third position to prevent them from being confused with numbers. That's 15,548,000 numbers.

    It only took 12 years (late 1969 to mid 1980) to go from 001-AAA to 999-ZZZ (new issues only, with all older numbers still valid).
    "Normal" NY plates have three letters and four numbers. Many more combinations. Of course you have to add all of the vanity and special plates to the count.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

    SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •