Thread: A discovery on why my 55 speeds up when in reverse.

A discovery on why my 55 speeds up when in reverse.

I asked a while back for ideas on this problem, and as usual, got some great suggestions, but now I have found the reason I can accidentally go real fast in reverse ! ha ! I had new bellhousing end "motor mounts" put in since one was totally collapsed ( Thanks Studebaker International ) and the problem only got worse. If i pressed any at all on the accelerator while in reverse, it would really gain rpm and take off. I never came close to hitting anything, but always had to shut it off to help slow down. I finally put on my glasses (yes, I think I'm still young and don't need them) , got a really bright flashlight and started investigating top to bottom. What I found and hopefully you can see in the pics, is that the shifter rod and the throttle rod have loads of clearance in Park through Low range, but the throttle rod snaps behind the shifter rod and locks when in reverse ! SO, I have decided that things need bent or adjusted, but wanted to share this with others in case anyone else has that trouble.

Also, our car has a later engine (seems like I found it to be from a 61 Lark), and notice it has the solid metal rod going to the carb instead of the 8 1/2 lb. tension spring like the manual shows 55's came with. This rod is great as far as I am concerned, but just wondering if any of you with a 55 and the DG 250 have the spring still as your throttle linkage ?

Thanks, hope this keeps someone from bashing the wife's wall or flower pots with a sudden reverse acceleration !

Oh, and thanks to all of you that offered helpful suggestions on my other post about not being able to post here on Tech Talk. I must have just been stupid that day...or stupider, ha !
    Attached Images Attached Images

That kind of problem would be hard to find since you were always in the seat when it occurred. Good that you found the problem before backing out of a parking space too fast and hitting something or someone.

"In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Yes sir, 52-fan, and the way I found it finally was to put the car in park, lean over the fender and look at everything ( engine OFF ! ), then put it in reverse and do a "compare" look with the engine still off. I couldn't believe it when I saw it because both the shift and throttle rods in this area are vertical ! I never considered they would flop over and bind. Whew ! Glad I caught this.

President Member
    Now that's what i call trouble shooting!!! nice job Jay Bird!!! Luck Doofus

President Member
    I'm diggin that flash suppressor air cleaner..... Looks cool.

Thanks doofus ! It could have been a really intimate experience if it hung at the wrong time ! ( excuse me sir, I didn't mean to back over your car....ha ! )

Mrs K Corbin, I'm not sure it would even do that ! I am going to put something decent on it one day, but I just drive instead of "fix" mostly, ha, ha ...

President Member
    Good work! You ask about the carb. spring. I've had lots of 55's, still have three, never had anything but the spring. There is little difference in the serviceability of the spring vs rod (I have other cars which use the rod). The string can stretch, but then the rod can wear. Believe me you wouldn't know the difference during regular use.
    Last edited by Hallabutt; 08-16-2019 at 07:07 PM.

Thanks Hallabutt, I was just wondering about that, since none of the 4 c/k bodied cars I've owned had the spring. The manual says it's an 8 to 8 1/2 lb. pull before it "uncoils" any, so that's pretty strong.

I am using the spring.

John,

I am using the spring but yours will work fine. One thing I noticed was the spring you are using for the bell crank return runs up the side of the manifold. Your nice rocker arm cover may not allow the use of the clip to hook the spring to. If it would, the angle of the spring would be better. I had to use stronger springs for both the bell crank and the carburetor in order to get the linkage to return to the idle adjustment screw.

Charlie D.

100_2245.JPG100_2247.jpg