Thread: Two interesting Avantis at RM's Auburn Fall Sale

Champion Member

Two interesting Avantis at RM's Auburn Fall Sale

Two Avanties are going to sold at RM's fall Auburn event. One is the Roger Ward prize car from the 62 Indianapolis 500 and the other is an real R3 it is the next to last Avanti built and I think the last one sold to the public. I know both cars and would say they are 2+ or better. I hope they do well.

President Member
    Is that auction a no reserve auction?

Brownsburg, IN, USA.(NW suburban Indianapolis)
    Quote Originally Posted by nels View Post
    Is that auction a no reserve auction?
    Some cars are reserve, Nels; others are not. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

President Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Peddler View Post
    Two Avanties are going to sold at RM's fall Auburn event. One is the Roger Ward prize car from the 62 Indianapolis 500 and the other is an real R3 it is the next to last Avanti built and I think the last one sold to the public. I know both cars and would say they are 2+ or better. I hope they do well.

The last Studebaker Avanti, R-5643 and currently in the Crawford Museum in Cleveland, was also sold to the public.

Ironically, R-5643 was really the last Studebaker automobile completed in South Bend, as the production order shows the build date as 12/26/63 and the car was still in the plant on 12/31/63, as evidenced by the note by a worker found in the trunk of the car a year or two later by the owner. Of course, Avantis were not assembled on the regular line nor in that building.
    Bill Pressler
    Kent, OH
    (formerly Greenville, PA)
    Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
    Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
    1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
    1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
    All are in Australia now

Golden Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Pressler View Post
    The last Studebaker Avanti, R-5643 and currently in the Crawford Museum in Cleveland, was also sold to the public.

Ironically, R-5643 was really the last Studebaker automobile completed in South Bend, as the production order shows the build date as 12/26/63 and the car was still in the plant on 12/31/63, as evidenced by the note by a worker found in the trunk of the car a year or two later by the owner. Of course, Avantis were not assembled on the regular line nor in that building.
    Cars are often not sold in the order that they are built. The next to last one built could have been the last one sold. Too bad about the "worker found in the trunk" .
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Quote Originally Posted by studegary View Post
    Cars are often not sold in the order that they are built. The next to last one built could have been the last one sold. Too bad about the "worker found in the trunk" .
    I remember we mentioned that car here before: https://forum.studebakerdriversclub....-from-NY-Times

Craig

President Member
    I was STUDEBAKER, when STUDEBAKER wasn't "KOOL".

Champion Member

Studebaker’s for sale

63r2lark 4speed/63 avanti Rodger ward car Studebaker gave to him for winning indy 500 in 1962/64 avanti R3 last Avanti sold to public Auburn Indiana rm auction Labor Day weekend sale

Speedster Member
    Thanks, Danny.

Dan

President Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sidecar0_0 View Post
    63r2lark 4speed/63 avanti Rodger ward car Studebaker gave to him for winning indy 500 in 1962/64 avanti R3 last Avanti sold to public Auburn Indiana rm auction Labor Day weekend sale
    Already a thread on these here, with links, including the Lark:

https://forum.studebakerdriversclub....burn-Fall-Sale
    I was STUDEBAKER, when STUDEBAKER wasn't "KOOL".