Thread: Best Fuel Pump for 1963 Hawk w/standard 289

Commander Member

Best Fuel Pump for 1963 Hawk w/standard 289

Hello,

Hello,

I am fixing up my 1963 GT Hawk. It was a stock 2 barrel base 289. Upgraded to 4 barrel (new old intake manifold from Stude In’l) with a Edelbrock AVS2 1901 (add'd pick for fun). While at it installed a new Airtex 4227 fuel pump—unfortunately, it does not seem to pump enough gas. The car died at one point and the fuel filter was empty. Mechanic thinks it is the fuel pump (though perhaps vapor lock)?

Question: Is there a recommend fuel pump? I see a Carter that looks the same? I also see different part numbers for same car, Stude Int’l say Item# 1562992 other site 535541. Are these all the same?

Side note, also upgrade to Pertronix III and flamethrower coil which seems good so far! New oil pump, new hoses throughout, 3-core radiator, new water pump and more. Car has been in shop 2 months. Hope to get back this week though it will have to go beck in when I get the fuel pump….Anxious.

v/r
    Lance
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by CampbelHawk; 08-12-2019 at 07:16 PM.

The Fuel Pump that many of us prefer is the Original OEM Carter which has not been available for many years.

What you have to do is find a "Core" and install the Rebuild Kit for Ethanol Fuel and it should be good for another 10 -20 years.

Some members here and Studebaker Vendors may have some originals available.
    OEM Carter1.jpg Carter Fuel Pump V-8.jpg

They all have either a Stone Filter in the bottom and a Glass Bowl or a Metal Can with a Paper Element inside, unlike the 1980's to current Airtex clones of the AC Brand Aftermarket Pump.

The AC/Airtex Pumps also have multiple Laminated Steel Plates used for a actuating Lever, not like this "C" Channel Carter type.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 08-12-2019 at 07:27 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Commander Member
    Thank you,

I found this on 1541705R FUEL PUMP V-8
    https://www.studebakerparts.com/stud...?product=fuel3

This one says
    1955-64 V8 REBUILT CARTER SINGLE DIAPHRAGM FUEL PUMP ALL CARS AND TRUCKS EXCEPT "R" SERIES MOTORS, MOUNTING GASKET INCLUDED
    PRICE INCLUDES A $50.00 REFUNDABLE CORE CHARGE FOR YOUR OLD "CARTER OR AC" FUEL PUMP.

However, it shows a different carter number (MO970 vs MO1930) in picture than yours and has a glass housing. Wrong one?

Last edited by CampbelHawk; 08-12-2019 at 07:32 PM.

That would work fine, those numbers are only the P/N for pieces of the pump.
    But you will want to ask just WHAT Carter or AC pump core will be accepted, and must it be sent in first.

There is a Picture of the Early AC/Airtex Pump Mfg'd. before about 1980 in the Ad for the Supercharger equipped Pump: 1542299R

Maybe if you had no Carter Pump, one of these Old Stock AC ones would be excepted for the $50.00 Core Charge.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 08-12-2019 at 07:50 PM.

Try reading what I said more carefully. I said ASK.

Commander Member
    Ordered it, did not require core. Thank you.

President Member
    Never, ever had one of those replcement fuel pumps actually work. The best thing to do is to have the original Carter rebuilt by one of several Studebaker people or Terrell Machine in DeLeon, TX. And install the filter between the pump and the tank.

I have heard of fuel pumps getting installed incorrectly with the actuator arm placed over the top of the fuel pump cam lobe causing the pump to "short stroke" and pump at a very reduced volume. I have not had enough experience with this to know if it's possible with our Studebaker engines, but if it is, that could be your problem.

I could see where a short stroking fuel pump could operate ok at idle speeds, but not keep up with demand under acceleration or highway speeds.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC
    [IMG][/IMG]
    SDC member since 1975

Eliminate ALL your fuel delivery problems for good, and install a good quality electric fuel pump...unless your looking for a Stock look.

President Member
    Ah...that "BEST" question again..! There are many, many "bests" out there.
    What 354 DeSoto said.

Mike