Thread: Trying to post only this ONE more time. ...... HELP, Clark or ????

Trying to post only this ONE more time. ...... HELP, Clark or ????

I have not been able to post a text only or a text with pictures on the Tech Talk section. Are signed in members and SDC club members banned from this like we are on the Stovehuggers page ? It is VERY sad that us members have to use the Studebaker Addicts page on Facebook to post anything with photos and now to post anything even without photos apparently. Clark, there is a real feeling of being treated unfairly. having so many folks getting what is perceived to be smart a###ed answers, and not feeling welcome here that I have noticed while reading through the F-Book page mentioned. I also have been unable to post or get answers in the SDC Facebook page there also except once in a while on the private message part. Very unsatisfactory for this long time, faithful SDC and registered forum member. I don't even know if this will post, and I am sorry to vent, but there is no excuse for not allowing members to post what could be helpful info without using some mysterious "cloud", 2nd party, or ?????????????, site to allow pics. I know a lot of folks don't like it, but thank goodness for Facebook so we can "talk" to each other, ask questions, share info, and post photos no matter what. John

Well, John; your text is showing up. Apparently the problem may be in your server or system, as no one else seems to be having a problem with text or pictures. "Stove Huggers" is the only sub forum where photos are restricted to an external server.
    calvin.jpg

I have been following the Facebook discussion on "Studebaker Addicts" regarding the Forum. And I must say, folks expressing displeasure with the Forum are going out of their way to find something to complain about, and ignoring the 98% of good Studebakering going on here. It is definitely their loss, as I see so much misinformation and outright lack of knowledge being tossed around on Facebook.
    Last edited by rockne10; 08-12-2019 at 07:40 PM.

Golden Hawk Member Dick Steinkamp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by j.byrd View Post
    I have not been able to post a text only or a text with pictures on the Tech Talk section. Are signed in members and SDC club members banned from this like we are on the Stovehuggers page ?

I don't want to answer for Clark, but NO ONE is BANNED from posting pictures on any of the forums...including Stovehuggers. Stovehuggers requires that you post pictures that are already on the internet (online photo album or otherwise). This is because it costs the SDC to host pictures and since Stovehuggers is comprised of non Studebaker topics, it makes sense that the SDC chooses not to fund picture posting there. If you need help on posting pictures from the internet, PM me and I'll try to help you. On all other forums, you can post directly from pictures on your computer.

It is VERY sad that us members have to use the Studebaker Addicts page on Facebook to post anything with photos and now to post anything even without photos apparently. Clark, there is a real feeling of being treated unfairly. having so many folks getting what is perceived to be smart a###ed answers, and not feeling welcome here that I have noticed while reading through the F-Book page mentioned. I also have been unable to post or get answers in the SDC Facebook page there also except once in a while on the private message part. Very unsatisfactory for this long time, faithful SDC and registered forum member. I don't even know if this will post, and I am sorry to vent, but there is no excuse for not allowing members to post what could be helpful info without using some mysterious "cloud", 2nd party, or ?????????????, site to allow pics. I know a lot of folks don't like it, but thank goodness for Facebook so we can "talk" to each other, ask questions, share info, and post photos no matter what. John
    If you continue to have problems, you may want to contact a local computer "expert" to review your hardware, OS, possible viruses, browser settings, ISP, router and modem settings, etc. It seems to me that the vast majority of users here don't see the same issues. If the problems were universal, it would definitely point to something wrong with the forum software. Since it is not, you likely have to look closer to home.
    Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

I have not been able to post a text only or a text with pictures on the Tech Talk section. Are signed in members and SDC club members banned from this like we are on the Stovehuggers page ?
    John, I understand that you are frustrated but I must tell you that the Forum's systems are functioning fully and every Registered Member has the ability to start and reply to posts, and upload photos (in every board except Stove Huggers, of course). In fact, our webhost completed a thorough examination of our board's database, file system and other behind-the-scene mechanics last week in preparation for some scheduled upgrades forthcoming.

I know you won't like hearing this, but whatever problems you are experiencing are not the fault of the Forum's systems.

It is VERY sad that us members have to use the Studebaker Addicts page on Facebook to post anything with photos and now to post anything even without photos apparently.
    Again, there is no restriction in place. If you cannot post, you are either not logged in or there is something in your computer's system that is interfering with your being able to access the Forum.

Clark, there is a real feeling of being treated unfairly. having so many folks getting what is perceived to be smart a###ed answers, and not feeling welcome here that I have noticed while reading through the F-Book page mentioned. I also have been unable to post or get answers in the SDC Facebook page there also except once in a while on the private message part. Very unsatisfactory for this long time, faithful SDC and registered forum member. I don't even know if this will post, and I am sorry to vent, but there is no excuse for not allowing members to post what could be helpful info without using some mysterious "cloud", 2nd party, or ?????????????, site to allow pics. I know a lot of folks don't like it, but thank goodness for Facebook so we can "talk" to each other, ask questions, share info, and post photos no matter what. John
    Treated unfairly? I don't understand this at all! I personally respond to every contact via email or PM for every issue, whether it be technical support, concerns with other members, or lost password help. And if I have been perceived to have given any smart answers, I don't understand that either. I always try to be kind and helpful, even when conflicts arise.

All I can say is that Dick's advice is good: if you are having this much trouble, it might be time to have a local professional "lay hands" on your PC and find out what's going on. I try my best to help people diagnose common issues, but I am the Forum Admin, not a personal PC fixer, and any advice I can offer from afar pales in comparison to someone actually looking over your shoulder with you demonstrating the problem.

I am sincerely sorry for the unhappiness you are feeling.

Clark
    Clark in San Diego
    '63 Standard (F2) "Barney"
    http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

rockne10 : Yes sir, I agree some of the guys there are trying hard to find fault. I am a pro-SDC forum guy and have tried to give folks a positive feel about "us". This post of mine does not convey that too good, so I will try to explain in this, and the other two guys responses. Thanks for responding.

Dick Steinkamp : Thank you sir for your explanation of "why" about the Stovehuggers part of our forum. I totally support the SDC and have been a member for quite a few years, and my wording was definitely wrong when I used "banned". I always promote the club and the forum, and should have just asked why I couldn't post on Tech Talk instead of ranting like an old fart. Thanks again for your explanation and offer of help.

Clark ( showbizkid ) : The most sincere apology and thanks, (as always) to you sir. I have sought out your advise before and know of nothing at all you have done to treat anyone unfairly. I was referencing some of the grumpy guys on F-Book that complain about "our" site and the remarks they say have offended them or made them leave, not and never you. I always try to promote the club and the forum, and yesterday was just a really bad day for me I guess when I wasn't careful or thoughtful enough to do a simple explaination of my problem. I will try again to post what I think may be help on the Tech Help part of the forum, and also try to be a LOT more patient, think before leaping, and monitor my sugar level more closely, ha ! Thanks again for your kind words and help. John (although I still wish we could post pics simply from our computer on Stovehuggers, but understand why we can't now)

President Member
    For some time I have believed that many in the Studebaker family have left the forum for Facebook. To me it seems like the Studebaker people have forsaken the prim communication network, for the new and better social platform. Will someone humor me and explain what they seem to feel is wrong with the forum? Or as I suspect that like so many just get bored, and seek change for it's own sake. I haven't seen any significant changes in the forum, except that there is less activity.

I have a Facebook account, but I don't like anything about it, so I seldom go there. The format is cumbersome, the management has issues, privacy is dubious, and company has not seemed to be forthright in it's handling of elicit activity. What am I missing?

Bill

I think this forum is supergood & on "surfacebook" I'm only in the "Studebakers of Scandinavia" group (when it comes to Studebaker), & if there's faults here I don't notice them. Forums of the big3's for sure have another tone, maby because there are more younger people there? Even here in Sweden it's like that.
    It seems most people here really know eachother & even thou I'm a bit on the outside being non-American I seriously like the way stuff is hanled here! Just "had to" write that.
    As if anyone cared...

Josephine
    Champion V8
    4d sedan

Anyone want to go back to the days of Google Groups? I remember them clearly, and it was like the Wild West - no mods at all, and tons of spammers. This is WAY better.
    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

I digress...
    "F" FBook.. Truly FBook site has caused so much problems on this planet. Proudly deleted my account 3 years ago..

Back to the issue..

At the top of the general topic page is an Announcement "HOW TO: pictures, PMs and other forum settings"
    https://forum.studebakerdriversclub....nt.php?f=6&a=6

Maybe you need to correct your settings..

If you click on the >> below, I also show you how to turn the thumbnail photos you upload into big pictures..

Quote Originally Posted by SScopelli View Post
    Here is a cute trick
    We are all here to help..

Fecesbook has its place, and I've had an account for ten or more years, but I'm never on it as much as I am here on this Forum.

Craig

Quote Originally Posted by Hallabutt View Post
    For some time I have believed that many in the Studebaker family have left the forum for Facebook. To me it seems like the Studebaker people have forsaken the prim communication network, for the new and better social platform. Will someone humor me and explain what they seem to feel is wrong with the forum? Or as I suspect that like so many just get bored, and seek change for it's own sake. I haven't seen any significant changes in the forum, except that there is less activity.

I have a Facebook account, but I don't like anything about it, so I seldom go there. The format is cumbersome, the management has issues, privacy is dubious, and company has not seemed to be forthright in it's handling of elicit activity. What am I missing?

Bill
    My feelings exactly.
    I finally gave in and signed up for Facebook last week, just to read the ads and jokes my neighbor and brother send from Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by Hallabutt View Post
    Will someone humor me and explain what they seem to feel is wrong with the forum?

Bill
    The griping about the SDC Forum is primarily in the "Studebaker Addicts (international)" group; and it seems to be a small but very vocal contingent; which of course wields adverse influence, especially over folks just becoming involved with a Studebaker.
    Their most common statement is the members of the Forum are just old fart purists; and that they, the Facebook group, with nearly 23,000 registered members, is larger, more immediate and more open to others. This can naturally have the effect of discouraging new folks from even exploring the SDC website and Forum.
    But there is a lot of misinformation bandied about over there. Not just about the Forum and SDC, but technical information and solutions as well.

I've told the Facebook group I really enjoy their postings, stories, pictures and memories and it's a great social setting; but for accurate information they should trust the Forum. And then, that small vocal contingent claims my experience is not typical and I am just biased.

But I don't get mad. It is the nature of the beast. And I visit both venues every day. But I come here first; and always return here before logging out for the day.
    I DO feel sad for folks who go there for technical help and receive a mishmash of conjecture that can't be discerned from reality.
    I assume they will learn, as we all have over many decades.

Silver Hawk Member
    Brad

I guess even the Studebaker world has "influencers". Have them gnaw on my builds and the others like mine for a while. If they were to read the feedback on my posts they would find a ton of positive thoughts from the assemblage here and even the negative thoughts are generally calm and gentle.

Thanks for defending the forum as I agree with your thoughts.

Bob
    , ,

I’ve been slapped around on both sites soooo.......

Update which is VERY embarrassing.... I had forgot to click which "prefix" as required. I am going to tie my hands behind my back for about an hour to get properly alert before I open my big yap.... thanks all.

Quote Originally Posted by studerodder View Post
    If that ever happens here again, please let me know. We're a brotherhood; we should be friendly or at least civil to each other.

Update which is VERY embarrassing.... I had forgot to click which "prefix" as required.
    Gee John, the rest of us are all perfect ... Seriously, no worries. I'm glad you figured it out.

Sometimes computer problems can be baffling even to me, and I've spent most of my career working with them!
    Clark in San Diego
    '63 Standard (F2) "Barney"
    http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Clark, I have decided to use my stand-by excuse. My wife wasn't home to show me what to do, so it's her fault. ( she is a computer programmer/ analyst ) There, I feel better now, ha ! Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by studerodder View Post
    Yeah, you and I have communicated in the past......
    61 lark cruiser
    64 daytona 2dr hardtop

President Member
    I am now a "Studebaker Addicts" member. I found some of what I thought I would find, free flowing chaos, with little oversight, and less real authoritative substance. What the site seems to provide is the sensual stimulus, or excitement that so many people seem to require on a minute to minute basis. Pictures abound, and it's a very visually enticing site. The site makes up for substance with sheer quantity. It gives people the ability to make a splash, good or bad, get out and have their post quickly forgotten. There seems to be no accountability, for what is said, and has no archival ability to save any discussions.

The SDC has it's detractors on the site. It's hard to characterize any logical reasons, other then maybe we are old and out of touch. Or that someone made a comment, with which they didn't agree. I was not surprised by the source for some of it, but was unprepared by the vitriol. Opposition disregards the fact that there is so much useless s... flying around on the site that it's hard have a meaningful discussion. I did find some support for the SDC, less so for the AOAI, and the Antique club.

I guess it's the sign of the times, but I was surprised by how many Studebaker owners, on site had no clue that there was such a thing as the SDC, and of course, no knowledge of the forum, or the resources available. To me it was kind of like looking an action movie, bereft of meaningful plot, or story-line. I think that we need a presence there if only to get the word out, try to restore balance, and do it in a non-confrontational manner. I don't want to come off as being smug, or as a know it all, just trying to stimulate a discussion. I want to understand, so we can continue to enjoy our Studebaker family!

Bill