Thread: Panel color on side grilles

Champion Member

Panel color on side grilles

The painted panel on the side grilles on my Flight Hawk K7 are romany red,the same color as the lower,why isn´t the same color as the hood and the lower air intake panel - snoucap white.
    Any help !
    Thanks

Golden Hawk Member
    Welcome to the SDC Forum!
    You have a fairly rare 1956 Hawk. There were only 560 Flight Hawk hardtops (K body) built.
    I do not know the "why" of your question.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Quote Originally Posted by studegary View Post
    There were only 560 Flight Hawk hardtops (K body) built.
    I was under the impression '56 Flight Hawks were C bodied. Or were K bodied Flight Hawks only exported?

After driving Studebakers for nearly a half century, I just broke down and bought my first Hawk last month; a '56 Sky Hawk.
    Still learning after all these years.

Welcome to the SDC and to the SDC Forum Jose`!

Yes the Canadian Plant in Hamilton, Ontario Canada did build 56G-K7 Hardtop Flight Hawks and the knocked-down Crated Cars were shipped to Other Countries for final assembly.

As far as the Side Grill insert panels having a trim Color, even here in the States dealers did Paint those the trim color to match the Fins, Roof and or Trunklid indentation panel area on Hawk Models. Or just the Side Grill Panels.
    The Factory did this on the Rare '57 Golden Hawk 400, Leather Interior Hawks.

The Assembly Plant, Dealer or Owner could have done that on this "Export" Hawk.

57 Silver Hawk_Gold.jpg 56 GH Blue_White3.jpg
    Last edited by StudeRich; 08-12-2019 at 06:54 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Here is a Hamilton-assembled Flight Hawk:

Craig

Golden Hawk Member
    StudeRich - I believe that he is referring to a factory two-tone Hawk. This is the way that they were done. In my thinking, I believe that it was determined by what parts were painted together and which were separate, such as the hood and lower panel being installed at different points in the assembly from the fenders and side grilles.

EDIT: The Hawk that Craig posted while I was "typing" shows the side grilles the same color as the hood, but this may have been a later change on this particular Hawk. Factory pictures would be a better indication of what is correct.
    Last edited by studegary; 08-12-2019 at 08:56 PM.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Quote Originally Posted by studegary View Post
    Factory pictures would be a better indication of what is correct.
    Franks's website gives some excellent information: http://www.1956goldenhawk.com/

That car I posted had a color change from the original Sunglow Gold/Snowcap White.

Craig

Golden Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 8E45E View Post
    Franks's website gives some excellent information: http://www.1956goldenhawk.com/

That car I posted had a color change from the original Sunglow Gold/Snowcap White.

Craig
    I see a LOT of information on Golden Hawks at that web site, but not Flight Hawks. The 56Js pictured there show both types of two-tone, but they are not factory pictures (at least the ones in the photo album). Perhaps I did not find the correct link for factory pictures of Flight Hawks.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

In my opinion, if the Flight Hawk in question were two-toned like the one in Craig's picture, it would look ridiculous with Turquoise Side Grille inserts.

Whereas, the Gold '57 Silver Hawk I pictured looks GREAT!

But there is no telling how other Countries would have finished their Cars, and they do not have to match US and Canadian Cars.

President Member
    Our 57 Silver Hawk is a shade of Candy Apple Red with Pearl fins and pearl side grill panels. wife's car and wife's color choices and all is right with the world,,,,,thank goodness. Luck Doofus

Champion Member
    My Flight Hawk 56G - K7 is two tone,upper is snowcap white and lower is romany red and at car serial number was built in South Bend ,hence my doubt regarding the color of the painel on the side grilles.
    Thanks

Champion Member
    porhawk- Meu Voo Hawk 56G-K7 tem dois tons, superior é branco-nevado e menor é romany vermelho e no número de série do carro foi construído em South Bend Plant, daí a minha dúvida em relação à cor do painel nas grades laterais.

Golden Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by porhawk View Post
    My Flight Hawk 56G - K7 is two tone,upper is snowcap white and lower is romany red and at car serial number was built in South Bend ,hence my doubt regarding the color of the painel on the side grilles.
    Thanks
    There were only 560 six cylinder Flight Hawk hardtops built for the World.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

President Member
    Our '56 has white paint on inserts (it is green and white)

Champion Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StudeRich View Post
    In my opinion, if the Flight Hawk in question were two-toned like the one in Craig's picture, it would look ridiculous with Turquoise Side Grille inserts.

Whereas, the Gold '57 Silver Hawk I pictured looks GREAT!

But there is no telling how other Countries would have finished their Cars, and they do not have to match US and Canadian Cars.

Thanks for your reply and explanation !
    I will share 1 photos with everyone from my front car, so you may know better what i am speaking about.
    Thanks
    Stude1_zpshvjlc69e.jpg