C Cab beds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C Cab beds

I've been away from the forum for a while as I have been consumed with all the Studebaker facebook pages. While I enjoy a lot of the content, it's been my observation that the quality of information shared on these sites are not always correct. More so than what I have observed on this forum. So, when I seek information, I really trust this forum over the majority of what I see on FB.

I am interested in information about the difference between the original bed designed to go with the 1949 model trucks and the wider version seen on the later models. I'm not talking about the dodge fleetside bed but the one that looks very similar to the C-cab beds. I recently heard that the wider bed tailgates can be easily recognized by the number of horizontal ridges above and below the lettering. The original has 3 and the wider ones have only two.

What I would like to know is when this box was widened, by how much, and why did they do that? I'm particularly interested in the why, as Studebaker didn't see fit to narrow the dodge bed by 4 inches to make it match the T cab.

I look forward to responses as I am confident that there are people on this forum that will know.

Thanks,
    Jon
    Jon Stalnaker
    Karel Staple Chapter SDC

The bed and the rear axle were widened for the 1956 models.

When the T-cab came along, Studebaker was on life support, the trucks were such a low volume it was a miracle they were produced at all. Yes, the bed could easily have been narrowed; but no, Studebaker didn't have the money to pay the extra cost.

(And yes, many of us don't have a farcebook page, don't go there, never will.)

jack vines
    PackardV8

Comment

Working...
    X