Thread: Exhaust manifold leak

Exhaust manifold leak

I have a '64 Daytona with a 289 V8. I was having exhaust manifold leaks so I ordered a new set of composition gaskets and had my mechanic install them. Now they seem to be leaking again - specifically at the center of the manifold on both sides. Exhaust manifold bolts seem sufficiently tight. Any ideas? Should I have used the metal gaskets instead of composition? Could the manifolds themselves be warped?

Any help/insight appreciated, Thank you.
    David Daoust
    Stratham, NH
    '64 Daytona convertible

President Member
    I had my manifolds resurfaced, they were out nearly .020. If they are sufficiently warped there is a risk of cracking them. Remove them and check them with a straight edge. If they are flat they won't leak.

Quote Originally Posted by altair View Post
    I had my manifolds resurfaced, they were out nearly .020. If they are sufficiently warped there is a risk of cracking them. Remove them and check them with a straight edge. If they are flat they won't leak.
    Thank you.
    David Daoust
    Stratham, NH
    '64 Daytona convertible

I have long preferred the metal ones, and have not had good luck with the composite ones. Since manifold removal is such a PITA, might wanna try a set of the metal ones first. If they blow, then you'll have no choice but to remove them. If remove is necessary, I'd have them planed, no matter what the straight edge indicated. Plaining will take all the guess work out, and leave you with a surface that is perfectly flat.

I am guessing you drive the car quite a bit, since it usually takes a couple thousand miles, even for the crappy composite gaskets to blow. Another good thing about the metal ones, they won't blow out in chunks, but just become increasingly louder as they burn away. But many times, you an just retighten and they will be ok fo ra few more thousand miles.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeHall View Post
    I have long preferred the metal ones, and have not had good luck with the composite ones. Since manifold removal is such a PITA, might wanna try a set of the metal ones first. If they blow, then you'll have no choice but to remove them. If remove is necessary, I'd have them planed, no matter what the straight edge indicated. Plaining will take all the guess work out, and leave you with a surface that is perfectly flat.

I am guessing you drive the car quite a bit, since it usually takes a couple thousand miles, even for the crappy composite gaskets to blow. Another good thing about the metal ones, they won't blow out in chunks, but just become increasingly louder as they burn away. But many times, you an just retighten and they will be ok fo ra few more thousand miles.

Thank you Joe. Definitely going to have them planed.
    David Daoust
    Stratham, NH
    '64 Daytona convertible